Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Where to find ceramic brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to find ceramic brake pads

Im having a hard time finding ceramic pads for my truck 99 vin 6. I have found them for the vin D, just not mine. Let me know where I can get some. thanx!
Old 02-03-2004, 11:26 PM

Found mine at Car Quest Auto Parts. Had to order them in the morning, but had them same afternoon.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:05 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I was considering ceramics at one time but heard they ate up rotors, I quit looking...
Old 02-04-2004, 06:07 AM

They do eat up rotors. We put them on all of our squad cars (Durangos) at work along with performance rotors and now we have twice the work. Better to stick with good quality regular pads IMO.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:39 AM
Chapter President

I have switched to ceramic pads and they made a world of difference in pad life and stopping power.....eatting up rotors mean they are working its called friction....I got my pads at NAPA....I switched because of the loads I pull are heavy and OEM pads would only last 15000 miles

There are a couple of differant grades of ceramic pads also....I got the heavy duty set.....Napa ordered them in and got them the next day
Old 02-04-2004, 10:24 AM

I just put CAr Quest Ceramics on, The P.O. had cheap pads on it and it was pulling to the right after the brakes heated up. Some times turning the wheel a quarter turn! The old pads were not slotted or chamfered. They would have a lot of life left but they had craters with missing material! Not good. I cant comment on the Ceramics yet since they aren't yet broken in but I'm sure they will be better than the cheap pads.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:59 PM

With the cheap rotors I have been graced with I would rather eat them up, then have them sit on the truck and swell. When I did my brakes at 36,000 thats what had happened the rotors had swelled and were out of proportion. Cheap steel.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The Very Best in Brakes

Fellas, fellas....

You are making this entirely to difficult. Let me correct one myth: you do NOT have to eat the rotors to have high friction. If this were true, you would HAVE to have tires that ate up the road in order to have traction, right??

Ceramic pads were developed primarily for low dusting-- NOT for fade resistance or other measure of braking performance.

The pad material you want is Carbon/Kevlar. They have unparalled stopping power, high heat tolerance, and reasonable dusting. They also last a pretty long time and don't eat your rotors.

I usually don't say there is a "best" of anything where there are many competing products (oil, tires, etc..)

But I will say that I think I have found the "best" in brakes:

PORTERFIELD BRAKES

They offer rotors as well as pads in compounds from street brakes to racing only.

I am VERY happy with the pads from them and have yet to find any better. In fact, they now make them for Dodge Rams because I asked them to! (they usually cater to the high performance guys- 'vettes, Supras, etc..)

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/

Justin
Old 02-05-2004, 09:42 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I tried finding the part # in their database without success.
I'm looking for replacement pads for my '99 3500.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:54 AM

It's not in the DB, so I had to call to get the info a little while ago:

Porterfield R4S---$158
Front=ap821
Rear=ap702

Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Keep in mind these are the part numbers for the later Rams with 4-wheel discs. You'll have to call them to get the numbers for the older Rams. When I last called, I was assured that they DO make the shoes for the rear drums.

Justin
Old 02-10-2004, 10:52 AM

Re: The Very Best in Brakes

Originally posted by HOHN
Fellas, fellas....

You are making this entirely to difficult. Let me correct one myth: you do NOT have to eat the rotors to have high friction. If this were true, you would HAVE to have tires that ate up the road in order to have traction, right??

Ceramic pads were developed primarily for low dusting-- NOT for fade resistance or other measure of braking performance.

The pad material you want is Carbon/Kevlar. They have unparalled stopping power, high heat tolerance, and reasonable dusting. They also last a pretty long time and don't eat your rotors.

I usually don't say there is a "best" of anything where there are many competing products (oil, tires, etc..)

But I will say that I think I have found the "best" in brakes:

PORTERFIELD BRAKES

They offer rotors as well as pads in compounds from street brakes to racing only.

I am VERY happy with the pads from them and have yet to find any better. In fact, they now make them for Dodge Rams because I asked them to! (they usually cater to the high performance guys- 'vettes, Supras, etc..)

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/

Justin
HOHN, are the Carbon Kevlars any more quiet than the Semi Metallic? That is one of the reasons I was looking at the ceramic in the first place. Brake squeal drives me up the wall especially with new pads.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:28 AM

The carbon kevlars are dead quiet.

Brake squeal is NOT caused by a certain pad material, per se. It's caused by a looseness in the fit of pad to caliper.

This is why it is SO important to make everything surgically clean when doing brakes. Use all the brake cleaner you can to get it all clean.

The carbon/kevlar pads also require a specific "bedding" procedure. This is basically just a series of hard stops designed to get them really hot and seat them deep in the calipers.

The carbon/kevlar pads are somewhat unique in that they bite harder the hotter they get.

If you need powerful service brakes, they really are a great way to go.

Justin