Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Where did you get your train horn kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did you get your train horn kit?

Basically I am looking for a train horn kit. Where did you get yours and did it come with everything and hows was the install?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2007, 02:59 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
http://www.airhornsoftexas.com/

An excellent place to start (including actual train horns $$). I have a set of the 3000 Chrome http://www.airhornsoftexas.com/train/train.html.

Ummm . . . . They perform as expected. Sounds like this ~ http://www.airhornsoftexas.com/Sound...soundsfile.htm

NOTE ~ If you want it to sound just like a train horn, be prepared to put some money into it. It's just like our trucks, "How Fast Do You Want To Go?" With that you'll end up with an on-board air supply that will most likely be able to support air tools when needed.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Registered

look on E-BAY
Old 04-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by blackdiesel
look on E-BAY

Ya I saw lots of kits there but I am looking for reviews on those kits.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by BC847
http://www.airhornsoftexas.com/

An excellent place to start (including actual train horns $$). I have a set of the 3000 Chrome http://www.airhornsoftexas.com/train/train.html.

Ummm . . . . They perform as expected. Sounds like this ~ http://www.airhornsoftexas.com/Sound...soundsfile.htm

NOTE ~ If you want it to sound just like a train horn, be prepared to put some money into it. It's just like our trucks, "How Fast Do You Want To Go?" With that you'll end up with an on-board air supply that will most likely be able to support air tools when needed.

Thanks for link BC. what do you think of their kit that runs $439? I just want something thats louder than a regular air horn but from I am reading on these sites I could prolly piece together a kit cheaper?
Old 04-22-2007, 03:46 PM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by haloman
Thanks for link BC. what do you think of their kit that runs $439? I just want something thats louder than a regular air horn but from I am reading on these sites I could prolly piece together a kit cheaper?
That would prove a good kit IMO but understand, that's a small capacity tank for an air hungry set of horns. With the tank fully charged, you can expect a couple of good short blasts, but then it'd peter out till the tank refilled. You could supplement that kit with an additional tank perhaps. The more expensive pumps offer not only a higher capacity in terms of CFM, but some sport a higher starting pressure ability, and others sport the ability of continuous operation.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Chapter President

Humm.. So many choices. But everyday I see the need to use a horn that draws more attention than a regular horn. Silly Drivers.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:53 PM
1st Generation Admin

How fast do you want to go . . . ...

There's stuff available that'll scare the crap out of an oblivious driver. And is most likely illegal if you cause coffee to be spilt in the wrong persons lap.

There's a video floating around of a couple of juveniles riding around with a powerful air horn like those sold in the link above. They're videotaping the pedestrians streak their draws as the truck goes by and blasts the horn. Hornblasters.....com
Old 04-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by BC847
How fast do you want to go . . . ...

Hornblasters.....com
I know I know .

And yes I really want their DVD.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Banned

I pieced my hor together bit by bit, got the tank from ebay, various hardware from , hardware stores, hose from auto supply shop, and the compressors for Hornblasters, Heavy wire from Lowes, electrical fittings from radio shack. The key to a system is the compressors, and having a large enough atank for not just a small toot. The money invested is worth it once you add in the feature of having on board air, half inch impact and other air tools to de strand ya, and for working on other stuff. O, the Horn??? I vaguely remember that night........
Old 08-09-2007, 02:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by mikmaze
I pieced my hor together bit by bit, got the tank from ebay, various hardware from , hardware stores, hose from auto supply shop, and the compressors for Hornblasters, Heavy wire from Lowes, electrical fittings from radio shack. The key to a system is the compressors, and having a large enough atank for not just a small toot. The money invested is worth it once you add in the feature of having on board air, half inch impact and other air tools to de strand ya, and for working on other stuff. O, the Horn??? I vaguely remember that night........
Old 08-09-2007, 07:01 AM
Banned

At hornblasters.com I spent about $360

viair 450c compressor (the biggest single duty compressor they had at the time)
5 gallon chrome air tank
pressure switch 110-160psi
various plugs for the other outlets on the tank, fittings etc

From ebay I found a set of 3 trumpet air horns for $99, pretty loud but high pitched, not deep like real train horns. The horns come with a 12v solenoid on it, energized it opens, no power, stays closed.

Locally I picked up all my electrical supplies like heavy wire, connectors, a toggle switch so I can disable the compressor manually, a cheapo momentary starter button (push button) which activates the solenoid until you let off. Plus i added a quick connect air hose. Spent like an additional $60 on that stuff.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:36 PM

In my opinion the only way to go is with the Kilby kit that mounts a York 210 A/C compressor over your alternator. Mine works great and fills my five gallon air tank in under a minute to 150 PSI. It has more than enough power to run air tools and it powers my set of Nathan K3 air horns purfectly.