Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

When To Change To Synthetic???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 01:35 PM
RJF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlue
I've never seen enough results to justify the cost. Yes you can extend the oil drain intervals and yes it helps on engine wear but why in the world am I gonna pay $120-150 for an oil change for stuff that I know isn't gonna add power or what not and when I know my engine is going to last just as long on the cheap dino stuff.
Big Blue, you just answered your own question. You have extended drain intervals, and who said 10K? On what dyno oil? I run my Amsoil to 15K as I do severe driving. If you can qualify into the normal driving class Amsoil says 25K!

It Costs about $85-90 for a complete Amsoil change and that includes the higher grade Nanofiber synthetic filter. It used to cost me almost half that to use a plain old Wix filter and Exxon XD3 Extra oil. Now I go over twice as long on one oil change at $85, vs two Exxon changes at $40x2($80) and I only have to mess with disposing my old oil and filter once a year, only need to open up the sealed engine half as often, and have MUCH better oil protection on top of it all.

People freak out at the cost of synthetic, if you think out of the box and actually relize what synthetic is capable of, the cost starts getting VERY competitive, if not the economy route. I run Amsoil from my radiator to my rear D70 and everywhere in between.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:04 PM

RJF, could you tell me what the part # is off that Donaldson filter you have there and will it fit my 2001?? The cost is no issue because I work in the oil patch here and my company takes care of all my personal truck expenses... I just want a long life for my rebuilt motor. Some guys say to use synthetic some say to use standard oil. I need something that can withstand heat and horsepower.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:34 PM
RJF

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
RJF, could you tell me what the part # is off that Donaldson filter you have there and will it fit my 2001?? The cost is no issue because I work in the oil patch here and my company takes care of all my personal truck expenses... I just want a long life for my rebuilt motor. Some guys say to use synthetic some say to use standard oil. I need something that can withstand heat and horsepower.
Donoldson Endurance 7349. All Dodge Cummins 5.9's. A high grade synthetic is perfect for what we are all doing, lots of power per cubic inch, high EGT's, and severe towing/racing/pulling.

Oh yeah, I'd go around 3-5K on dyno oil to help break the motor in and it would be on for synthetic.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:01 PM

Excellent, thanks RJF. To synthetic it is (after break in of course)
Old 08-19-2006, 04:47 PM

I was looking for a 15/40 synthetic and nobody really carries this.. Everyone seems to carry a 5/40. Is it ok to go from a standard 15/40 to a synthetic 5/40? What do most people use after initial break in with a standard 15/40???
Old 08-19-2006, 05:06 PM
RJF

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
I was looking for a 15/40 synthetic and nobody really carries this.. Everyone seems to carry a 5/40. Is it ok to go from a standard 15/40 to a synthetic 5/40? What do most people use after initial break in with a standard 15/40???
Did you miss my photo?

Old 08-19-2006, 05:19 PM

No, I did notice that but it seems nobody stocks this stuff on the shelves... All Mobile 1 & Amsoil around here seems not to be in any 15/40. Wouldn't a lighter grade be better for the cold winter's?? Is it ok to change to a lighter grade after using a standard 15/40?
Old 08-19-2006, 06:00 PM

A 5w40 synthetic will be fine. W stands for Winter rating and really has nothing to do with the grade. 40 grade oil, will be 40 grade @ 212F. The 5W will flow much easier than 15W on cold starts, especially in the dead of winter.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
W stands for Winter rating and really has nothing to do with the grade.
You sure about that?
My understanding is that the 'w' is an abbreviation for weight (viscosity)
Old 08-19-2006, 07:46 PM

Anyone else??
Old 08-20-2006, 02:28 AM

Think about it. There are numerous 0W-XX grades on the market now, what grade could 0 possibly represent?
Old 08-20-2006, 03:03 AM

Yeah, syn costs more but I picked up 2mpg when I switched from dino to syn. If you do the math over the 10k between changes(or whatever interval) that really makes it more apealing. Just my .02
Old 08-20-2006, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ruralmedic
Think about it. There are numerous 0W-XX grades on the market now, what grade could 0 possibly represent?
Viscocity is actually defined as "resistance to flow."
IMO, Thickness (at a given temp) would be a better word to use than 'grade' ....or 'weight'

A '0' viscosity oil is simply a arbitary scale for measuring thickness. It is not an absolute minimum number..... and equates to a flow resistance measurement of 3 centstokes at 100*C.

I have 3 reference books in my office from oil manufacturers and none of them define the 'w' in a multi viscosity oil. I have heard both "weight" and "winter" used for the 'w'.

In a milti viscosity oil, the number before the 'w' is the viscosity (resistance to flow) of the oil at minus 15* F.

RJ
Old 08-20-2006, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure Dodgediesel I'll take a shot, 2nd CTD 2001 HO 239,000km on truck. I have run synthetic 15-40 since 50,000k in my truck with 25,000k oil changes and the Amsoil or now Donaldson filters they sell. Truck will usually start down to -29C without being plugged in overnight, lots of idle time in the winter at elevated rpm's. Magically I also live in the same local and can show the oil use in a relative climate. Truck weighs 8000+ all the time and up to 29,000lbs loaded no problems except if you have a leaky spot it will find it's way out. Use Amsoil as the warehouse is in Edmonton and open until 8:00pm Thursday nights and I pick it up on the way home from McMurray where I commute to work. "I can't justify the cost" is another foolish concept as the engines here typically run longer continuously and are subject to more severe changing work conditions than in other places with extended or neglected oil change intervals. The "oilpatch" does not have a speedylube on every corner and when we are busy as you know money is made on the move not sitting in town coffee cupping the day away. Everything is Amsoil except the tranny(6 spd) including my non-stock Detroit Locker- it won't work towing- rearend. Amsoil in my opinion does not yet have a proper oil for the 6 spd units but Redline does available right here in sunny Alberta. Call me this isn't the only diesel around here on "Amsoil" with excellent results----and a way we go, proceed flaming. PK
Old 08-20-2006, 10:21 AM

Thanks a bunch guys, take it easy!!!

Quick Reply: When To Change To Synthetic???