Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

When adding injectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When adding injectors

What else do I need to do to the motor? I was reading about a boost fooler?

Alos, why does bigger injectors produce higher EGT's. Is there a way to cool them down some more?

What boost should I be running on a stock 99?

Thanks
Dima
Old 04-29-2005, 11:50 AM

You'll want/need an EGT gauge.. Looks like you have the rest covered... Injectors/boxes.. add more fuel.. = more heat.. it will take more air to keep it cool..
The two other things.. boost fooler.. stock you should be close to 20psi boost.. That is were the wastegate is going to open.. and anything over that the ECM is going to defuel or cut back the fuel to keep the boost pressures down.. The boost fooler is going to fool the ECM into thinking that the boost pressures are normal.. when they are actually higher.. Most of your aftermarket perforance boxes will include this.. (Also look at Marco's MAD ECM is does this too.. but does it inside ECM)
The other thing is a boost elbow for the turbo.. this is going to allow the wastegate to open at a higher pressure.. there are adjustable ones too..
What size injectors are you going to install???
Good Luck
Bryan

(Edit... engine add the EGT gauge... you have ther rest cover.. filter and Exhaust.. There are instruction on the injector install floating around these site.. if you cann't find a copy let me know. I have a copy on the computer somewhere... East to install.. )
Old 04-29-2005, 11:56 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Most fueling boxes, such as a EZ or Comp have an integeral boost fooler so if you are adding injectors with a box you don't need an external boost fooler. If you run larger injectors without a box or boost fooler, you will set off an overboost code and defueling will take place causing a large drop in power. More fuel=more power=more egt.....larger injectors will be able to deliver a larger amount of fuel and will cause an egt rise......the only way to cool it off is with more boost. A stock 99 starts to defuel at about 20 psi and may peak with a couple more psi...
Old 04-29-2005, 11:19 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just weld the waste gate shut & you won't have to worry about it. I have run my truck with a welded waste gate for over 2 years with no problems, just extra boost.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:46 AM

Most fueling boxes, such as a EZ or Comp have an integeral boost fooler so if you are adding injectors with a box you don't need an external boost fooler
You still need to fool the wastegate or it will open at 22psi. The boost fooler works in conjunction with an adjustabel boost elbow. The boost elbow tells the waste gate it is 20 - 22 psi, even though it's 30 psi. Without a boost fooler, anything over 22 psi tells the ECM to defuel. One without the other isn't the ideal setup. Yes, the comp and EZ boxes have built in boost foolers, but you still need the elbow.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:50 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The elbow is included with the EZ and the Comp...