Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Whats the theory on stacking boxes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the theory on stacking boxes?

HI been trying to get my Adrenaline to work to no avail. although I will keep working on this, I have been searching and finding alot on stacking a smarty with the Quad. can someone explain this to me as I thought the Adrenaline was designed to work by itself.

what does the smatry do to this situation because I see that they cost about 700 and would like a better understanding before I buy one of those and am not happy with it (pretty much how i feel about the Adren.)

everyone keeps telling me to download a new program, but my lack of comuter knowledge and USB cable has made this process a slow one, I dont see why the program on the Adren. would n't seem to work at all my truck feels like it did from the factory. and yes it is hooked up right
Old 08-14-2009, 09:48 PM

The Adrenaline is pretty strong on the bottom already. The Smarty adds more low end fuel. And smoke and heat.

It will also cost you upper end RPM and power.

Generally, stacking the Smarty with any real performance box hurts the performance of the box and of the truck in general.

Dave
Old 08-15-2009, 08:25 AM

so when I install my twins the low end fuel added from the smarty, will spool quicker with the smarty I suppose? or would a bigger set of injectors take care of this by itself, as I am oing to get them, just trying to avoid wasting money, but that is too late,
Old 08-15-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most of the people stacking the smarty with the Adrenaline are trying to smooth power at high RPM. The stock ECM commands defueling as early as 2700 rpm and calls for all fuel to stop at 3500 rpm. The Adrenaline has to override this signal and call for fueling. Sometimes the battle between ECM and Adrenaline creates surging, sputtering, and on-off-on-off-on-off power when your at 3500+ rpm.

The smarty reprograms the ecm so it won't call for defueling at 2700 and zero fueling after 3500. To run the smarty and adrenaline stacked, both must be turned down a little to compensate for the added fueling called for by both. The result is nearly full power potential and max RPM somewhere between 3800 and 4300.

99% of CTD hotrodders don't need to run this stack. Most guys that are playing with it are sled pulling or hitting 115+ MPH in the 1/4 mile.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by DodgeRamdiese01
so when I install my twins the low end fuel added from the smarty, will spool quicker with the smarty I suppose? or would a bigger set of injectors take care of this by itself, as I am oing to get them, just trying to avoid wasting money, but that is too late,
It depends. Most compounds setups run with a tight converter are hurt by the added low end. It'll just choke the charger.

Again, better off skipping the Smarty. It will cost you power every time.

Dave
Old 08-18-2009, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the theory is that you are using a PROGRAMMER on top of a BOX. The programmer reprograms the ECU calling for changes in how the engine is fueled. The BOX bypasses the ECU and directly controls the IP. If you use both you are getting your ECU to work harder and also directly controlling the IP through the box (that's why the box gets hot when you run it). I run a superchips with a Juice mainly because I can reprogram my tire size with the superchips and get the performance from the Edge. JMHO....
Old 08-18-2009, 11:47 AM

thanks guys I get it now, I was just hoping to actually notice some power out of the Adren. I just got, and was thinking about getting the smarty. but the 700 price tag to just try out something may have to wait