Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What's Next?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's Next?

I've had the truck for a few years now and have all the mods listed in my sig but I'm planning on getting it timed ASAP as well as replacing all the tie rods in the front end along with the track bar. Once it's timed what would the "experts" out there suggest I do next? I'm guessing a set of injectors would be the next logical choice but I've done a lot of reading and I'm more confused now than I was before I started researching. The truck is rarely used to tow and when it is its just pulling a 6000lb car/trailer combo. I'm leaning towards 370's since I don't really pull a lot and the price is soo good on them. What kind of power increase can I expect from just switching to a set of 370's? With the 215's I can bury the EGT gauge in no time flat so I've been a bit hesitant about adding more fuel.

John
Old 07-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Banned

Lots of guys have had surging with the 370s, there are better options for injectors. If I were in your shoes I would be looking at more air, then more fuel, or you wil have big EGT issues. I'd say a new turbo, and then lazer cuts. Do you have a lot of smoke (unburned fuel needing air?)
Old 07-17-2006, 06:49 PM

Yeah, I can smoke pretty good but once the turbo spools it turns to more of a steady haze. I'm seeing about 43psi with the current set up but I can bury the EGT gauge fairly quickly. My concern with going to an even bigger turbo is that the loss in bottom end will make it really hard to tow with the truck. After reading more I think that the laser cuts would probably be a good step instead of going straight to the injectors. I don't feel like upgrading the headgasket and going to ARP studs so I will try to limit myself to around 50psi since that is what I've been reading is the limit for the stock gasket/bolts. Any suggestions on a good source for the laser cut DV's at a reasonable price? What about a nice turbo upgrade for a street/strip truck that tows sometimes? Any suggestions there?

Thanks.

John
Old 07-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Banned

43 psi is way past the efficent range of your turbo, and withing the realm of presures that can destroy it. Ask Chris

Lots of guys on here have aftermarket turbos and tow regularly, have you thought about going to twins? Even a medium size turbo should spool like stock. I have heard the the KSB1 is near stock in terms of spooling, when fueled properly.

How much weight are you talkin about towing.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:11 PM

I'm not going to be pulling too heavy. The heaviest thing I'd tow would be my car. The car and trailer total at about 7,000lbs or a little less. I didn't realize I was that far beyond the effiecency range of that turbo. I thought it peaked around 40psi so I figured I was just a little over that. I guess I'll keep my foot out of it until I can find a good replacement. Twins are great and I know a guy near here that has a set on his 24V but the cost is a little too much for me. I know you can get a pretty good deal on the BD kit right now but my budget is going to be more around the $1200-$1500 dollar range. What about the BD Super B? I've seen it going for right around $1200 so that is in my budget and should satisfy my power goals without exceeding the limits of the stock head gasket. So maybe I should go in this order:

1. Timing

2. Turbo

3. DV's

4. Injectors

Would it be a good time to install the DV's while getting it timed? Would that save me any work? Sorry for the newb questions but I've never dove that far into any diesel engine. I'm a tech at a dealer but I have little knowledge of the fueling system of these trucks.

John
Old 07-18-2006, 11:44 PM
Banned

Sounds like a good plan... Not sure on how much easier it would be to do the DVs when you time it. I paid to have mine done for about what the tools would have cost, and I had a road trip coming up and wanted it done before I left.

Not sure exactly what the Super B is, but if it is one of the B-1 variants it should work well for your application. And I think it is.

FWIW- Rip Rook (sourceautomotive.biz) sells twins parts if you or a buddy have fab skills. You should be able to put a set together in your budget.