Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What's the best air; Scotty, K&N, BHAF, AFE or other?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 11:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm gonna say get a 5"x12" AFE now and mod it to fit untill you put your twins in
Ya know your gonna
Old 11-01-2005, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Im curious where that number came from...please elaborate

From dyno tests done years back by Joe Donnelly over on the TDR. The tests were done with the help of Lawrance Bolton, of Diesel Dynamics, who also used to work for Dynojet.

Joe ran the stock air box on his truck, "sickly" utill well over the 600 hp mark. I think "sickly" still holds the high horse power record for single turbo, diesel only, of 812 hp, or some where in that area. It's a '86 12v and Joe has since sold it. Anyway, to get to that kind of power, on a single turbo with no drugs, takes some real fine tuning, lots of dyno time, and detailed knowledge. If there would have been any gains by dumping the stock air box, he would have done it.

Joe told me of some of Lawrance's dyno testing experience. He once spent over 2 solid weeks dyno testing rear end gear lash settings for a NASCAR team to find the optimal setting for power. In my mind, that's getting down to some pretty fine details and demonstrates his abilities with dyno testing.

Joe quit posting anything about the abilities of the stock air box because he got flamed about it every time. And I can also testify to this because it's not the "politically correct" thing to do.

My personal knowledge comes from one afternoon back in the summer of '01. Dee Rawson and I tested a few air cleaner combinations on Heberam's truck on Edge's dyno and seen no difference in horse power at the 380 to 400 range. We were also testing with a fancy turbo silencer ring Dee had made up. Dyno time was free, and our tests were crude, but they demonstrated to me the limited gains of air box mods.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JUst what I was looking for - Thanks Bart...
Old 11-01-2005, 07:50 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very intersting "revelation" if I might say by Bart. This superceeds the 300RWHP mark that I have read many times in reference to air intakes.

When I'm rich and famous I would like to have one of these, regardless of need.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still argue with all the Dyno testing.. Yup... I don't take it.

If you only gain 1% sucking 25" H20 suction through the stock filter with 1500°F EGT's to make 400 Hp and then put on an air box, sucking (estimated) 5" H20 and 1200°F EGT's and make 405 Hp. You gain way more than 5 hp don't you???

Think about it, you can make 600 HP with 2000°F once... But if you want to do it repeatable and use it you have to invest in upgrades to the air/exhaust systems to compensate for the fuel and keep the EGT's in check.

Also with the increase in restriction of the Stock brick filter at higher flow, your potential for leakage past the gasket on the brick surface goes up.

If you can live with 1500+ °F EGT's on a daily basis, then stick with your stock filter.. I would rather have the 200°F reduction in EGT's and be able to USE my Hp, not wish about it...

Food for thought...
Old 11-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

I know Joe and Lawrence too.

Lawrence is by far one of the most knowlegable men in the industry.

Joe and I have talked about this and will again when we are in NM in just over a week. What is not mentioned in there is the fact that this was static testing on a dyno. No real world where the reverse cowl induction of the Scotty hole adds to the mix. I too was one of those folks in the discussions with Joe and by PM and email we both agreed that there are other variables that can promote or negate the use of an aftermarket product. If memory serves me correctly they did not even test a Scotty on Joes' truck.

Not once have I ever made a claim of increased power with my intakes. I do claim reduced exhaust gas temperatures, faster cooldown and quicker spool up...all feed back from real world users of my products.
Dee Rawson ran a Scotty 2 on his truck until he went to twins. The reason he used it was to keep his EGT's in check until he stepped outside the efficiency of a single charger.

I like to clarify what is fact and what is not. My intakes seem to get put into the test bed but only in responses, not in the actual testing. Just like the filter tests...not one has ever done their testing on my filters, nor have they accepted my offer to provide them.

Dynos are great for specific data in specific areas. They are not so great at producing real world results with all products.

Scotty
Old 11-01-2005, 11:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bart Timothy
From dyno tests done years back by Joe Donnelly over on the TDR. The tests were done with the help of Lawrance Bolton, of Diesel Dynamics, who also used to work for Dynojet.
I remember these tests well and discounted them immediately when I noticed that some filters were performing better than no filter at all.
Totally impossible.

As Scotty said, dyno tests don't mean squat especially with his filter. No wind from forward movement on a dyno won't provide the pressurized air into the filter as when you are actually moving.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bart Timothy
a '86 12v and Joe has since sold it. Anyway, to get to that kind of power, on a single turbo with no drugs, takes some real fine tuning, lots of dyno time, and detailed knowledge.
For the record, Sickly was a 1997 Ram....
Old 11-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Chapter President

I did not buy my Scotty II with the intention of a power gain.....I specifically bought Scotty's intake for the claimed drop in egt and was not disappointed.....I don't spend any time on a dyno but can confirm with real world data that I did see nearly a 100* drop in WOT egt on my truck. I have not seen an egt drop on ANY other intake.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:10 PM

You'd have to have QUITE a restrictive intake to see a HP loss. EGT is a better measure of intake performance.

That said, air is one of those things where you either have enough or you don't. If you have enough, more won't be worthwhile.

I mean, a billionaire doesn't benefit much from receiving a $100 windfall, does he?
Old 11-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your egt's are in check BHAF is fine. I switched to AFE Mega Cannon from BHAF, my egt's are better in check now. It was a toss up between Scotty or AFE.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
For the record, Sickly was a 1997 Ram....
Thanks for the correction, my mind must have blanked out. By the way, many have claimed "sickly" was only a dyno queen. One ride convinced me otherwise.