Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What's the best air; Scotty, K&N, BHAF, AFE or other?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the best air; Scotty, K&N, BHAF, AFE or other?

What's the best air system? I have a BHAF, does a good job, but I've never had anything else, so I don't know any better. I'm really liking the Scottyll ram air not the $240 price.

I'm sure some of you have tried and tested different products in the air performance market, share your commets.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:27 PM
Banned

Scotty 2 all the way. Just do a search on here for the Scotty 2 and read all of the results. Great guy, great product, hands down the single best intake on the market.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:36 PM

I've run all 3(BHAF, ScottII, AFEstage1) and out of the three the AFE gets my money.

BHAF is good for the money, but it can only go so far.

ScottyII is a quality unit and a sound design, but it makes an ugly sound in the cab. When I ran it they were using AFE filters, I think its UNI now. I cant give any EGT reduction numbers(compared to BHAF) because I was way overfueled at the time but crusing temps were 50-100* cooler.

AFE Also built nicely. I used the filter with the indention in the end cap with a slip over prefilter. I purchased it after the ScottyII because I wanted a high flow filter without the awful noise coming from the glovebox. Crusing temps were still 50-100* lower than the BHAF but I sill had the 4" hole in the cowl from the scotty. IMO the AFE with the scotty hole is the best of both worlds. Does not quite offer the heat shielding the scotty does but it works well and sounds worlds better.

Both are good well built products though.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tommy 93
With your truck being basically stock, per your signature, why spend the money?

I love my Scotty II, but you won't need more air than your BHAF provides, until/unless you get over 350-400 HP, IMO.

RJ
Old 10-31-2005, 08:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
RJ is right. If you're truck isn't starved for air, a BHAF will be fine for most people.

After that, Scotty 2 is the best combo of flow and fliltration. Plus it's COOOOL air, which is something none of the other intakes have. The turbo noise can be dealt with if you're concerned. It's not sufficient, imo, to avoid the Scotty. Some guys really like it.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:15 AM

I have the afe stage 2 and love it.......gets alot of air and isn't to loud, probably just a touch louder than stock.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Scotty plus TAG, by far the best
Old 10-31-2005, 10:13 AM
Banned

No one has mentined it but K&N is the worst option, poor filtration and sealing plus not enough flow.

Search for it and read away.

As I put on my fire suit I will point out to the K&N believers that I found dust on my turbo vanes with my properly oiled and torqued K&N on my PSD.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:38 AM

I have had BHAF, Scotty and aFe. I prefer the aFe over the other two.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:13 PM

I don't plan to run over 300 hp, but I want the best air filtration, cfm, cost effective (replacing elements), and appearance.

Nobody needs to run over 300hp nor add so many bolt on accesories, but we are all gulity of that perspective.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy93w350
Nobody needs to run over 300hp nor add so many bolt on accesories....
Don't speak to soon.
Let's see if you feel the same when you have 300 hp and start thinking about maybe 350-400 hp!

One well known member here originally stated to his Tranny installer - "I'll be happy at 275 hp". His last dyno was over 800 HP!

I myself started out wanting no more than 350 hp....

RJ
Old 10-31-2005, 05:34 PM

You are right!!! Horsepower is the worst drug to give to a Cummins owner!!

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 10:28 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scotty II.. No question.. The cowl induction is the only way to get the most out of your fuel add ons...

For the money, it gives the best returns.. Scotty's a good guy to boot and has been making his systems since I can remember for the second gens..
Old 10-31-2005, 11:35 PM

I think messing with different air filters and intakes at horse power levels under 400 is a big time waste of money, including the BHAF. For the price of an AFE you can get a used EZ, or a #10 plate, and gain so much more power for your money than any air cleaner could ever hope to give. You could also go to RV275 injectors on a 24v, or governor springs and a timing bump on the 12v, and have the same results. My vote goes for the stock air box with the rubber boot removed - it's good to 500 hp with only a 1% loss. But if you want to spend your hard earned bucks, then go to the Scotty II.

If I were in the business of selling intake systems, my opinion would be different. I'd say, no matter what, you got to change out the air intake.

This doesn't necessarily apply to 3rd gens. They do benefit from air intake modifications more than 2nd gens. But still the horse power bang for buck is poor compared to other modifications.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bart Timothy
My vote goes for the stock air box with the rubber boot removed - it's good to 500 hp with only a 1% loss. But if you want to spend your hard earned bucks, then go to the Scotty II.
Im curious where that number came from...please elaborate

Quick Reply: What's the best air; Scotty, K&N, BHAF, AFE or other?