Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Whats already been done

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats already been done

I am trying to figure out what already has been done to my pick up. I have a quadzilla plugged in so i know what the egts are running at and such. THe reason i ask is the truck smokes a little when i reall get on it. Additionally, when i really get on it when i am climbing a hill the egt will go up, slowly but still will hit 1250.

I dont see any other moddification that are visible. Are there any easy ways to see if there are different injectors, or ways to tell if there was a plug in thing under the dash like a superchip that then wasnt put back to stock.

ANy ideas
THanks
Old 09-05-2007, 03:33 PM

Sounds like an EZ truck to me from your description. I have DD1's in my truck beyond my VA box, and it smokes pretty good off idle when I punch it. Without the injectors and just my VA (which is very similar to an EZ), it acted just like you describe. According to your sig, looks like you found everything.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:40 PM

Sorry what i described was with the ez unplugged. When the ez is plugged in the truck smokes pretty good and its got alot of go to it and the egts go up quicker.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by robins
I am trying to figure out what already has been done to my pick up. I have a quadzilla plugged in so i know what the egts are running at and such. THe reason i ask is the truck smokes a little when i reall get on it. Additionally, when i really get on it when i am climbing a hill the egt will go up, slowly but still will hit 1250.

I dont see any other moddification that are visible. Are there any easy ways to see if there are different injectors, or ways to tell if there was a plug in thing under the dash like a superchip that then wasnt put back to stock.

ANy ideas
THanks
My truck, when stock, would still smoke under heavy throttle application in low boost situations...
Old 09-05-2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by graphitecumnz
My truck, when stock, would still smoke under heavy throttle application in low boost situations...
Mine too...but I don't hit 1250* now with the upgrades below at WOT (maybe 950?)
Old 09-05-2007, 09:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well my truck will hit 1250 on a hot day with my Juice off just the Jammer 5's for heat. I do still get boost fooling and a full boost though so I bet a truck like Robins, with no boost fooling when he unplugs the ez... but no codes so probably has a functioning wastegate limited to 20 psi or so... has either RV 275 sticks or maybe some Jammer nozzles.

Robins, i'd have to ride in your truck to really guess at the size of your sticks. If you are above 3000' in Eastern Ore, and hot like 90* day, and did a WOT run through all 6 gears and you hit 1250*, id say RV's could do that if your wastegate is not blocked.

If you have a functioning wastegate and boost fooling, you could probably have as big as Jammer 3 injectors in there.

Can you spin your tires? Can you maintain a burnout in the 2-3 shift?
Old 09-06-2007, 02:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by swmnkdinthervr
Mine too...but I don't hit 1250* now with the upgrades below at WOT (maybe 950?)
I'd be replacing my faulty pyro if I were you. There's no way the items in your sig won't hit 1250 with a stock turbo....

JH
Old 09-06-2007, 01:46 PM

A friend of mine drove it when i first got it and he was a mechanic for DC and worked on a lot of Cummins powered rams both 12 and 24 valves and he said it was the hardest pulling supposed stock truck he’d ever driven. That was before finding and plugging in the ez and Quadzilla.

So I’d believe that it may have sticks in it. Dumb question and I’m sure I already know the answer (no) but is there a way to tell if the injectors have been changed?

Another dumb question wastegate?

I don’t believe it has boost fooling because that would plug into the, I cant remember its name but its back on the drivers side on the block and the factor wires go directly into the wiring harness.

I have never really tried to burn out the truck just because if something broke it be real costly.

THanks ROb
Old 09-06-2007, 01:54 PM

Probably no way to tell what injectors are in there as most mild and some wild injectors are stock bodies with different nozzles. You may be able to measure the holes, but you'd need some precise gear to do it.

Check your turbo and see if it has a boost elbow on it (brass with an allen screw). This adjusts when the waste gate opens. If it is set to open later than stock (21lbs) and your EZ is not plugged in, the truck will defuel and set a code (key trick to find a code) at higher than 21lbs of boost.

On a hot summer day when stock my truck would "haze" but I wouldn't call it smoke. Sometimes was hard to see unless you glanced back with headlights behind you.

From your current description, it may have level 2 or level 3 injectors in it. Most out there are 50-65hp=lv1 75-85hp=lv2 90-120=lv3.

Do you like the way it drives? Are there problems with it? If you just need braggin' rights, hit a dyno and see what she'll do and post that in your sig. Otherwise, enjoy the truck!
Old 09-06-2007, 02:19 PM

The main reason for all my questioning is im just curious. I also just like to know what is going on under the hood. Thank You i like the way t drives, i do think i am gonna try to hit a dyno some time in the near future any suggestions on what to do for that gears and what not. Once again thanks
Old 09-06-2007, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
I'd be replacing my faulty pyro if I were you. There's no way the items in your sig won't hit 1250 with a stock turbo....

JH
Hmmm brand new gauges and pyro...it may go just a little higher but not over 1000-1050 (I don't run flat out all the time )...the old pyro/gauges said the same thing...I'll check it this weekend...

The VA box doesn't do boost fooling but I have a boost elbow...my boost is around 30-31, the Jammer II nozzles didn't add much heat when I put them in...
Old 09-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by swmnkdinthervr
Hmmm brand new gauges and pyro...it may go just a little higher but not over 1000-1050 (I don't run flat out all the time )...the old pyro/gauges said the same thing...I'll check it this weekend...
Pre-turbo or post turbo?