Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you do?

I keep hearing about the BHAF on this site. I also hear abotu a fuel plate. Different injectors are being mentioned...

Basically I want a cliffs notes version of all the stuff I can do on my Dodge... Not EVERYTHING, but I want a truck with more power that can tow more, and can haul more.

I am getting ready to buys some things for the motor, and I am not sure which way I should go. I have a stock CTD with an intake, and a straight pipe. I have a FP gauge, Tranny temp gauge, and a boost gauge. The truck has 100k on the clock, and it has an automatic.

My question is what wouldyou guys add to this motor?

My options are:
Quadzilla box (I have been hearing GREAT things about it)
Bigger injectors (Mach 1 looks pretty good)
What is a fuel plate?
What is BHAF?

What else can I do to add some power to the truck? Should I do anything wtih this tranny in the truck?

Thanks
Dima
Old 04-28-2005, 04:21 PM

I can tell you that a BHAF is just s Big Honking Air Filter. Hence, BHAF. But it does make a big difference in lowering your egt temps and suppling more air so you can increase your fuel. There was someone that use to make a template for the BHAF but they no longer do but the template is on someone's profile that shows where and how to cut the metal. It was worth me putting it on as it helped a lot on my 1st gen.

I would upgrade your tranny with some of your plans. The auto's just don't hold on very long was you start bombing and making power.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:21 PM
Banned

Transmission first. Anything else after that. At 100K you're just about done with it anyway. I think the average life of a stock trans is around 150K. I could have gone maybe 200K-225K, but decided not to push it.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:24 PM

You dont need to worry about a fuel plate, those are for the mechanical 12 valve engines. Your 99 is computer controlled and therefore you will need a chip to help with performance.
Lots of folks like the edge products. There are some great vendors here on the site that can help you out with those as well as injectors etc. Just be sure to get a egt gauge before you go too crazy with power.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:44 PM

I already have the gauges. I think I will start colelcting the parts for the tranny rebuild now. I figure one or 2 parts per month should do it. I think I will get the injectors and wait on the rest of the things. I want black smoke... ahahhahaha

Dima
Old 04-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Transmission will have to be first. Big power is pointless if you cant get it to the ground.

BHAF will bring in a little more air. You can download a heat sheild template HERE.
If you really want to go big power, go with a Scotty II air intake system. Its more effecient (and cooler) at higher volumes of air.

Rich.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Mine's a '99 too.

I did gauges, then added the Edge Comp (in EZ Mode), then a Scotty II, then Upgraded Trans, then Scotty Smart Fuel, then hooked up the pump wire.
Next will be a set of Don's 1.5 injectors.

An Edge Comp is nice because you can run it with the pump wire unhooked (EZ Mode) and get a nice kick in the pants increase in power without killing anything until you can get the trans upgraded.
THEN drop in some larger injectors and hang on.
When that gets too boring, hook up the wire and hold on tight.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:59 PM

So how does the Quadzilla compare to the Comp?

Dima
Old 04-28-2005, 06:04 PM

I also suggest an aftermarket torque converter, and valve body for the tranny. It will be MUCH more happy with some mods after that. Also; you need a pyrometer(EGT) gauge if you dont have one(i didnt see it listed if you do) so that you can keep an eye on EGT's after the extra power.

Eric
Old 04-28-2005, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Flatty
So how does the Quadzilla compare to the Comp?

Dima
Not too sure. I've only had the Comp so far.

Now If someone wanted to send a freebie for "Testing Purposes"...........
Old 04-28-2005, 06:34 PM
GSP

Flatty you have a '99 . Probably a 53 cast block same as me. Do you know about the 53 block ? I wouldnt worry about it just to be aware.

I might put a edge ez on mine but I dont want to overdo the power. I dont want to crack mine.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:36 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
= Administrator luring site Advertisers?

How about a freebie for a Poor guy like myself? I'd be sure to Plug their products every other post!
Old 04-28-2005, 06:40 PM

Every part that went on my truck I paid retail price for just like everyone else.........

Tain't no freebies here, that's only on Monster Garage.
Sorry, I guess my attempt at humor was a little weak.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by GSP
Flatty you have a '99 . Probably a 53 cast block same as me. Do you know about the 53 block ? I wouldnt worry about it just to be aware.

I might put a edge ez on mine but I dont want to overdo the power. I dont want to crack mine.
Nope, no 53 block here. I checked when I bought it. That was the opnly good thing it seems on the 99... hahahahahaha I am goign to start collecting the parts for the tranny, and then go get a quadzilla box and some injectors. I may just leave it at that.

Dima
Old 04-28-2005, 08:22 PM

Are us 1st gen guys still stuck with just the BHAF? Or has Scotty got something for us too?

Quick Reply: What would you do?