Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What would it take for my tranny...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would it take for my tranny...

What would it take for my tranny to be able to hold a Drag Comp Box and maybe some DD1's? I have a Shift Kit already, but a stock torque converter. Could I just get a single disk tc or would I have to go ahead and upgrade my whole transmission? I had the whole tranny rebuilt about a year ago when I had the shift kit installed. I'm thinking about calling Dave Goerend or I could run up to Garmon's Diesel which is about 45mins away.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:27 PM

Call Dave.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:30 PM

secret to tranny holding capability is higher line pressures...but u need the proper seals and clutches etc all throughout the tranny that will handle that increased pressure and then u'll be good to go...unfortunately in the end that means full rebuild...INHO the best "quick fix" would be a triple lock type design TC will a small valve body mod that will let u lock up in 2nd, 3rd and 4th at the push of a button
Old 05-13-2005, 06:28 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
IMHO the way to do it is to do it right hte first time. Contrary to what MrT said I'd think it's better to keep the TC open as much as possible when on the throttle. For me it's like that: Low RPM and high torque on the input shaft mean possible clutch failure in the trans. So now with a TC that will lock up and hold even at low rpms you'll actually add fuel to the fire in the transmission itself.

AlpineRAM
Old 05-13-2005, 06:58 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
The BEST way to do it is to contact each of the shops who's products you're interested in.
Each vendor has a different opinion on what does and doesn't work depending on their past experience, and what their setup can do, or hold.
Talk to the guys in the shop, be honest about your driving habits,
towing? weight, racing plans, present and future BOMBs.
Then see what they have to offer.
Make an educated choice based on YOUR truck and lifestyle.
Not based on who ordered what for their truck, and their driving habits.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:59 PM

i have raced these trans for more years than i care to remember. i have never seen a case where the oem clutches wouldnt hold if the trans was built to tolerance. towing could make a difference. i just blew the front clutch piston out of the drum on my 82. all the parts were factory. a hemi coiled snap ring. the seal that people smarter than me say will not hold is factory. i reused the same seal. 10k mi. street and drag racing put the same oem clutches back in the drum. absolutely no signs of slippage. my stupidity caused the problem. have no idea how high the pressure went in reverse. but i will say this i dont think anyone out there has the parts that would hold the pressure that drum saw. ps the od trans uses the same clutches that the old 727 uses except for the od unit its self. the tq converter is the weak link in all of these diesel transmissions.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:12 AM

i second calling dave, very very nice guy, he will tell it to you how it is. good luck
Old 05-14-2005, 11:59 AM

My plans are to get Drag Comp and maybe some mild injectors. I don't tow much, mainly a 15 river hawk. I rarely tow anything that is really really heavy. I'm just on a tight budget, but want to get the most out of my money. I wanted to ask this question so I could get yals opinions here before I called anyone.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:40 PM

how tight is ur "tight" budget?
Old 05-15-2005, 08:15 PM

Well pretty tight right now. I'm on summer break from college and am waiting on this guy to call me back about a job. I just need to quit being lazy and call Dave more than anything so I can get some what of an idea on what I'll be spending. Is anyone on here running just a aftermarket TC and an upgraded VB/shift kit?
Old 05-15-2005, 08:38 PM

When you call Dave just tell him what is going on and what your questions are. He will not attempt to sell you more than you need.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:53 PM

What do yall think about Performance torque conveters? They have a single disk for 650 and a triple disk for 110. Go about 3/4 of the way down on the page and you'll start seeing diesel stuff.
http://www.partshp.com/Converters.htm

Old 05-15-2005, 10:45 PM

if i were you,,id go see garmon,,,,,,,the other guys might make a good unit,but unless you know about working on trannies,they wont be much help hundreds of miles away when you have problems.stay with garmon and stay local,that would solve alot of headaches for you in the future,,,,,,and nobody can say garmon cant build a tranny that`ll hold the power,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bama
Old 05-16-2005, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by AlpineRAM
IMHO the way to do it is to do it right hte first time. Contrary to what MrT said I'd think it's better to keep the TC open as much as possible when on the throttle. For me it's like that: Low RPM and high torque on the input shaft mean possible clutch failure in the trans. So now with a TC that will lock up and hold even at low rpms you'll actually add fuel to the fire in the transmission itself.

AlpineRAM
That may be the case when you are using a single disk TC.

Expecting the fluid coupling of the TC to do most of the work does not equate into favorable fuel mileage.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by SuperDave4x4
What do yall think about Performance torque conveters? They have a single disk for 650 and a triple disk for 110. Go about 3/4 of the way down on the page and you'll start seeing diesel stuff.
http://www.partshp.com/Converters.htm

TC looks just like the one that Axiom makes.

I just put one in a buddies truck with a 10142 Borg Warner stator. (Much lower stall then stock, but perfect for towing)

He seems to like it alot. Very positive lock up.

His truck has a drag comp with RV 275 injectors. 3.55 ratio 10.5" () of lift and 40" tires!!

I can get that same TC for $150 less.

I just pulled my trans apart to install a trans brake. With just a TFOD shift kit all the stock clutches looked perfect. The kickdown band showed some signs of wear, but everything else was immaculate. I was simply amazed. With a billet servo and band apply lever that problem will be fixed.

My truck had put over 20K on the multi disk/TFOD setup with over 430 to the rear.

For the last 6k it has put over 500 HP to the rears.

Quick Reply: What would it take for my tranny...