Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What turbo are you running on your 12 valve?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hammer, you gotta tell me whats all that gear on the intake there. Looks like some kinda dual plenum and a PCV of some sort over the valve cover? Those lines stock?
Old 07-23-2007, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kawi600
Hammer, you gotta tell me whats all that gear on the intake there. Looks like some kinda dual plenum and a PCV of some sort over the valve cover? Those lines stock?
I'll help out while Andy's not here...the PCV you see is off a Case/AGCO tractor with the 6.7L engine. Has a neat little trap in it to catch the oil, but let the vapors out. I thought about running one as soon as I saw it 4 years ago on our tractors, but never got around to it. I run one now after a few people told me how good they work! They rock!

Chris
Old 07-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by signature600
I try...I guess I can't really say I "ran" a 35/40 Hybrid...it lasted about 20 minutes before I blew the center section in half

Chris
Thanks for the correction Chris, I wouldn't want to give out the wrong info. Thanks again!!!... Still running strong. And I was under the impression that the housing was 12.75cm with 0.7 A/R ???

Anyhow, a good turbo non the less and a great price!
Old 07-23-2007, 03:10 PM

Where did you find those chargers for that price? I may have to invest in one of them!
Old 07-23-2007, 03:34 PM

1. Daily driver and 1/2 dozen sled pulls per year. Winter time snow plowing.

2. Reworked IP, laser cut DV's, #100 plate, 435 injectors, ported head/O-ring, HTB2 64/14 turbo (with most likely 71mm exhaust wheel).

3. Not sure of powe level. No dyno testing.

4. Currently having turbo reworked and checked on. When installed thought it was a 65mm drive wheel in a 14 cm exhaust housing. Looks like it's the 71mm wheel which is harder to spool up. The truck dumps way too much fuel too quick to spool, temps climb and then can't catch up temp wise. I have to work to drive around the turbo too much. It will clear up smoke but not temps with pulls. Runs hotter on hills/towing than it should. I will either go with 65mm exhaust wheel and 14 housing or 71mm wheel and 13cm stainless steel housing. It's at the shop right now waiting for the rework.

My 2CW if you don't go any larger than the 300 HP injectors and a #10 plate then you won't have enough fuel to spool a 62/14. A 62/12 maybe but that might be stretching it too. A 35/40 would give you the best drivability and temps. If you are planning on towing then I would definitely not go with a 14 housing. Remember bigger isn't always better. Best is the best matched for where your truck is and what you want it to do. I got a lot out of the stock HX35 and a good air filter and exhaust with some timing (16 - 17*) and proper plate positioning. Don't make too many changes at one time, it gets harder to sort out where the problem is when things don't work out.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
Thanks for the correction Chris, I wouldn't want to give out the wrong info. Thanks again!!!... Still running strong. And I was under the impression that the housing was 12.75cm with 0.7 A/R ???

Anyhow, a good turbo non the less and a great price!
Could be a 12.75...it's been so long since I've seen those numbers I honestly can't remember!

Originally Posted by Need95-00CTD
Where did you find those chargers for that price? I may have to invest in one of them!
Ebay...the Stage II was slightly used, and mt GT4088R is an authentic Garrett, and was new. I don't see them on there in that price range very often anymore, but I paid $1375 shipped IIRC! From Garrett they run around $2200

Chris
Old 07-23-2007, 04:15 PM

I have had a 60/12 hybrid and a 62/14 and have played with fueling a little bit to see what she would do.

I tryed both in the 300hp range with 215 injectors, stock 131DV's, 15* of timming, no plate, and a modifyed AFC for further forward travel The 62 still spooled ok, I towed my boat which is light mabey 3000lbs up some fair hills in higer elevetion and did not have any problem at all. I know that my hybrid 60/12 holset spooled faster but the difference was not so big it was undrivable. With that combo the hybrid was at its limits where the 62 still had a lot of room to grow hp wise.

HOWEVER with increased fuel (added DV's -400hp) the 62 surges a lot if i don't tune the truck just right for towing.

In my oppinion with your present hp a hybrid is a wast of time and not a significant step up if you plan on adding more fuel. If you are NOT going to add more fuel it might help you out a little bit but I would go with a plane jane S300 if I was going to stay in the 350hp range. Above that HP it is 62 time
Old 07-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Banned

The intake you see that is chromed is a Banks twin Ram which was sold to me by a member from here and the TDR.The intake itself was off of Scott Dagelish's old TDR built 1998 12v which he called "Two Timer".It was a White truck with pearl ghost flames and most of it all was chromed,plated or anodized.They changed the look under the hood and I was the recipient of the old intake.The rubber hose from the rear of the intake is for my Corsa Intellidash system.

The injector lines are Haisley Machine .093 Stainless lines bought from the shop who did my fuel system.Again,they desire to remain namelsss so I call him "Ghost In The Machine".

The covers,as Signature600 has already said,are from a Case/New Holland tractor.They are breather covers which allow another way for pressure to be removed from the motor.Since adding them I have had no oil related pressure leaks when you boost the motor hard.before I would see oil slip by anywhere the motor had old gaskets,which recently had me redo the oil pan gasket because of it.

Thanks for the nice words about underhood shot but to truely appreciate this truck you need to see it up close and in person.I try and keep it as clean as I do for show season all year long and even when its driven in the winter its kept clean.......Andy
Old 07-25-2007, 12:50 PM

Well guys, I found out a return to summitracing.com was credited instead of refunded, plus a couple family members got me a gift card/certificate to there, so I've been contemplating doing the BD Super B single. The injectors are sold, guy paid $25 more than I did with shipping, so I'm ok with it. I've heard that this particular charger is everything from a 57/12 to a 62/14, but I think it's the 57/12. I think either way it would be a great upgrade over the stocker. A buddy has a 10 plate he's willing to give me, and the 3k gsk will go on.

How do you think it would work with the plate, some tuning, the new manifold, and gsk in place? I know for a fact that no more mods will go on after this upgrade. I'm guessing 350 hp or a hair more once everything is setup and tuned good, which is fine with me.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Chapter President

IIRC the Super B is the 62mm compressor wheel.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
IIRC the Super B is the 62mm compressor wheel.

Is that the Super B single or Special offered through BD? I haven't heard two answers the same from anywhere.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by kas83
Is that the Super B single or Special offered through BD? I haven't heard two answers the same from anywhere.
If I remember, the Super B I ran was a 57 or 58mm inducer compressor wheel...I can't remember the exact measurement, but I know it's not 62mm

The exhaust wheel is bigger than a standard S300, I assume the 71mm wheel, and not the 65mm...and it's stuffed into a 13.77cm housing!

So basically, it's a 57/14...and a good charger at that up to about 350hp on a 12v. It could make more, I ran it at 360hp and towed, and never had any trouble, but EGT's would get a bit toasty over 25K gross! I'd run one again if I found one for a deal!

Chris
Old 07-25-2007, 01:15 PM

If I remember, the Super B I ran was a 57 or 58mm inducer compressor wheel...I can't remember the exact measurement, but I know it's not 62mm

The exhaust wheel is bigger than a standard S300, I assume the 71mm wheel, and not the 65mm...and it's stuffed into a 13.77cm housing!

So basically, it's a 57/14...and a good charger at that up to about 350hp on a 12v. It could make more, I ran it at 360hp and towed, and never had any trouble, but EGT's would get a bit toasty over 25K gross! I'd run one again if I found one for a deal!

Chris
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna go with it for sure then. My truck will probably never go over 17k gross, and the power is going to stay the same once the charger is on, so I feel it will be the way to go. With Summit's pricing and the fact that I won't pay full price makes it that much sweeter.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:57 PM

And PDR, HTT, or II can upgrade them to a 62, 64, or 66mm compressor, and change the exhaust housings as well if you need to do so in the future.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Chapter President

I thought for sure it was a 62.. Sorry for the bad info.. A buddy of mine has a Super B on his 24V and runs over 450 RWHP, got it from the local BD dealer. Certainly can't do that with a 57...

Quick Reply: What turbo are you running on your 12 valve?