Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What turbo are you running on your 12 valve?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What turbo are you running on your 12 valve?

I'm just curious to know what everyone has on their trucks. I'm still up in arms as to which one I'm gonna go with when it's time to upgrade. So, if everyone could just give me ideas and specs on the truck, I'd greatly appreciate it.

1. What's the trucks primary use?(tow daily, sledpuller/dragracer, so on)
2. Mods?(plate, sticks, headwork etc)
3. Power level
4. How bad does it spool/smoke?

I'm commited to 300 HP sticks, possibly grind my 11 plate to a 10, 3K GSK, new manifold as mine is cracked, full 4 inch exhaust, and BHAF, and I will put in a valet switch. I'm not sure if I want a 62/14 or a 35/40 hybrid. They are both capable of the power I'm looking for, price is definately different, but I'm not sure how they'd spool in valet with the power down. Future upgrades are not likely. So let's hear what you guys have, I'm just curious. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:37 PM
Banned

300hp sticks?
Old 07-22-2007, 09:16 PM

300 HP Sticks
You will need a HX 80 to cool those!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by 97' CTD
300 HP Sticks
You will need a HX 80 to cool those!
what are you smoking......300hp sticks are smaller then the 370's that alot of us run. look at my mods and i run a killer B-II 64/14 and it has a quick enough spool can be a little laggy at some points but not bad once you get used to driving it and it cools fine. Also this is my hotrod/ DD/ Sled puller that freaking scoots pleanty of power can break the tires (245's) loose on the 1-2 shift
Old 07-22-2007, 09:29 PM

Sorry, the Bosch 300 HP sticks from citydiesel.net. They are sitting at the house already, waiting for me to get back home to put em in. Decided against the Marine 370's.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:32 PM

i was taking to 97' CTD and him saying that you'd need an 80 to cool those. also pm me if you have any questions on my set up
Old 07-22-2007, 09:56 PM

Yeah I know, relax I was saying 300 Horsepower like Dragon Flows are 200 Horespower sitcks Pokin a little fun Cool off What 300 Horse Super Death Dragon Flow Monsters. I ran 370's in my truck I know that 300's are smaller sorry to ruffle feathers I will choose my wording diffrently next time! I must not have enuff posts to joke yet !
Sorry Kas83! P.S. I loved my 370's you will deff like those 300HP sticks!
Brandon
Old 07-22-2007, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by 97' CTD
Yeah I know, relax I was saying 300 Horsepower like Dragon Flows are 200 Horespower sitcks Pokin a little fun Cool off What 300 Horse Super Death Dragon Flow Monsters. I ran 370's in my truck I know that 300's are smaller sorry to ruffle feathers I will choose my wording diffrently next time! I must not have enuff posts to joke yet !
Sorry Kas83! P.S. I loved my 370's you will deff like those 300HP sticks!
Brandon

No offense taken. I was gonna go with 370's, but I've been told they can get pretty smokey, and I'm not looking for a huge amount of power out of the truck. The price on the 300's was too good to pass up.

I'm just curious as to what everyone is running for chargers depending on how much fuel they have. I'm looking for clean, nearly smoke free power, but wouldn't mind being able to roll the coal too. I also want a charger that I can spool decent in valet.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Banned

Kas....
Here you go answered in order for you about my 98 12v.......
1. What's the trucks primary use?(tow daily, sledpuller/dragracer, so on)
My truck is used as a daily driver,never is parked inside a garage and is used no matter what the weather conditions are.The only thing it hauls is my extra large frame or something in a box that will fit in the bed.It is not used to haul anything else and rarely used as a truck would normally be used.Sled Puller...never,that means dirt..Drag Racer...never,goes to slow and will not wheelstand ever.It may take me to events like that but I am the one who would cover it to keep it shiney to go home,LOL.

2. Mods?(plate, sticks, headwork etc)
Many internally on the motor and each one makes it all the better.Most all of them motorwise have been done at Enterprise Engine.They also installed the turbo and its a Garrett GT37R Stage 3 which is fed fresh air through a AFE Stage 2 intake using a Mega-Cannon filter.Its low end spoolup will sit you in the seat and is one of the nicest street chargers around.Its a roller ball charger,with a water and oil cooled center section.Its a great under rated charger for those in the under 500hp group.I can get mine to there,500hp,but it will not cross that plane for some reason.I would put it up against any of the small chargers out there and would bet money on it killing them in a low end spoolup contest.

The one thing that EEP did not do was the fuel system.I had a local shop,which wants to remain nameless, do that for me.A new P-Pump was done with 500cc of fuel and a custom set of 5x18 injectors installed.I run one of their plates and can run the rpms into orbit also.I know its not needed as most 12v's go into valve float way before that and after 2700 on a dyno they are dropping power faster than falling rocks fall.

3. Power level
On the most recent dyno test after installing the electric fan setup it did 494hp and 1186tq with the Garrett Stage 3 feeding it.Its driven like that everyday and I make zero changes to it other than changing the oil.Its a blast to drive and still can get 20mpg on the road when you drive sensible.

4. How bad does it spool/smoke?
it will haze slightly on a hot and humid day otherwise its not bad at all.Now,when one steps hard on the loud pedal and the rpms begin to fly,its time to let the coal roll.I have a friend who was behind me once that said,"Dude,don't do that you know how hard it is to follow you when your rollin coal".The Garrett will spool up with little or no lag and plant you firmly in the seat which would make you think you are driving a stout running 6Barrel Cuda.

Hope that helps some and here is a shot of my motor with the Garrett on it.....Andy
Attached Thumbnails What turbo are you running on your 12 valve?-pictures-022.jpg  
Old 07-23-2007, 06:23 AM

Hammer good lookin set-up & numbers ! Kas I ran mine as a daily driver also I just ran my sticks with my lil HX-35 but I think some sort of 62 charger would be a decent choice IMO.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Running a run of the mill S300G with stock injectors so far.. I use the truck in 80% minor load and 20% towing the TT. Spools fine but still gets hot, also can smoke out the slow lane on command. I have DDP3's on the way and will see what they can bring...
Old 07-23-2007, 02:06 PM

Lil Dog, if your running a run of the mill S300G its not a 62mm compressor, its a 57mm wheel. I'm running an S300G as well from BD Power, with a 57mm wheel, and a 13.77cm housing (14 if you round). It spools just as quick as the 35 and is way stronger.

Hammer,

That is a nice setup you have there, wish I could afford to run the same setup myself. I disagree with you about the Garrett Turbo though, I don't think anyone here underestimates it, we just need more air for less money, and companies like HTT, II and others can accomplish that for us. Someday many of them will switch to Ball Bearing center sections as well, but for now, cost is the reason very few run that charger.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Need95-00CTD
Lil Dog, if your running a run of the mill S300G its not a 62mm compressor, its a 57mm wheel. I'm running an S300G as well from BD Power, with a 57mm wheel, and a 13.77cm housing (14 if you round). It spools just as quick as the 35 and is way stronger.

Hammer,

That is a nice setup you have there, wish I could afford to run the same setup myself. I disagree with you about the Garrett Turbo though, I don't think anyone here underestimates it, we just need more air for less money, and companies like HTT, II and others can accomplish that for us. Someday many of them will switch to Ball Bearing center sections as well, but for now, cost is the reason very few run that charger.
Lil Dog's charger is not an S300G, although it may be labeled as such (can't remember) It's a 62mm and a .7A/R housing, or 11.77cm IIRC!

Personally, I'm sold on the Garrett's Dual BB cartridge. My buddy runs a Stage II that I found him for $1000, and it cools 400hp perfectly, and I gave about $1400 for my GT4088R which is a bigger charger than Hammer's GT3788R, all the difference being on the turbine side! It doesn't spool as good, but I think that I have other problems on that aspect...as far as cooling, I've only dynoed 380hp so far, and it barely touches 1300* at that level...I have a lot more left!

Chris

BTW, I've ran the stock charger, 35/40 hybrid, HX40, B1, S300 (62/.7A/R), BD Super B, Super B Twins, HX40/B2 Twins, Edge BB Jammer, and now my GT4088R...next setup will be a GT4088R/GT4508R twinset. I wish I had all the money back that I've spent on chargers!
Old 07-23-2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by signature600
Lil Dog's charger is not an S300G, although it may be labeled as such (can't remember) It's a 62mm and a .7A/R housing, or 11.77cm IIRC!

Personally, I'm sold on the Garrett's Dual BB cartridge. My buddy runs a Stage II that I found him for $1000, and it cools 400hp perfectly, and I gave about $1400 for my GT4088R which is a bigger charger than Hammer's GT3788R, all the difference being on the turbine side! It doesn't spool as good, but I think that I have other problems on that aspect...as far as cooling, I've only dynoed 380hp so far, and it barely touches 1300* at that level...I have a lot more left!

Chris

BTW, I've ran the stock charger, 35/40 hybrid, HX40, B1, S300 (62/.7A/R), BD Super B, Super B Twins, HX40/B2 Twins, Edge BB Jammer, and now my GT4088R...next setup will be a GT4088R/GT4508R twinset. I wish I had all the money back that I've spent on chargers!
You are the charger machine !
Brandon
Old 07-23-2007, 03:02 PM

I try...I guess I can't really say I "ran" a 35/40 Hybrid...it lasted about 20 minutes before I blew the center section in half

Chris

Quick Reply: What turbo are you running on your 12 valve?