Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

what turbo and injector combo...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what turbo and injector combo...

for my truck listed below, plus built tranny. im deployed right now so not only do i not have a whole lot of time to do my own research, but id like to know what i need and get eveything on order before i return home. i do not race, just daily driving and towing my rock buggy and some parts/gear every now and then. total weight is no more than 6-7k. id love to just go ahead with the twins and large injectors, but not on this truck, as i will not have it for too much longer. with that said tho, i do want to put a bit more power to it. im thinking a dodgezilla turbo, with mach 2's. that along with my edge turned down to lower levels while towing, i should be alright. then while i dont have a load, i can turn the edge up a bit more. since im not going wide open for any extended amount of time at any one time, im not worried about egt's. am i thinking along the right lines so far? the little research i have been able to do showed quite a few guys with dodgezilla or similar hybrids with 400-450 hp. i shouldnt be that high realistically. what do you guys think?

thanks,

jeremy
Old 12-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get a 62/12 as the turbo, that way you can always take it with you to your next truck and use as the top charger. If you're going to get Mach 2's you might as well get the 4's. You'll be able to tow with the 4's and a 62/12, it will get warm on real steep grades, but the egts are manageable.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:13 PM

yes, but how would the mach 4's work with the edge? wouldnt that be too hot? what about spoolup with that 62/12? how would that compare to stock and dodgezilla? and when you say take it to my next truck, would it still work if my truck is a 3rd gen? thats what im upgrading to.

thanks,

jeremy
Old 12-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Chapter President

You would be around 500HP with the Edge, M4's and a 62/12, so I think it would work great! You couldn't tow with the Edge turned up, but with just injectors and the 62/12 you wouldn't need anymore fuel for towing.

If you're getting a 3rd gen you would have to change the compressor housing to run it as a single, if you run it in a twins setup you wouldn't have to change anything.

The 62/12 spools pretty good on a 2nd Gen, on a 3rd gen it would spool even better.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Chapter President

I've towed pretty heavy with my Mach 4.5s and 64/12. I hauled this load from OH to NC through WV.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:33 PM

spools pretty good like what? i dont run at the top end hardly at all, and if i do, its not for long. (such as passing or maybe the on-ramp) but i do like my truck to get up and jump, say, from a stoplight, or get going from a roll. and i would still like some umph with the trailer in tow too. i was figuring i could get away with a smaller charger simply for the spoolup since im not running it hard enough, long enough to really have to worry about egt's. but, im sure you have a better idea of what im looking for in a charger than i do...

thanks,

jeremy

and yes, on my 3rd gen id be using twins, so good to hear i wouldnt have to swap things around.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:35 PM

^^^ were you still using the fueling box when towing? and how did you like the spoolup? anything to compare it to since im sure an opinion on spoolup varies from everyone?
Old 12-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Chapter President

I didn't have the fueling box on, just injectors and Smarty. The spool up with my charger is great, once I hit 10 psi, it's gone! With bigger injectors and bigger charger you have to relearn how to drive the truck, sorry but it's the best way I can describe it. Get up with someone who has a 62/12 on their truck and ask to go for a ride. If you can make it over to Coastal Plains Dragway in Jacksonville tomorrow there will be a couple of truck there that have 62/12s, look for John_P and 2141pete. John_P has one on a 3rd Gen and Pete has one on a 2nd Gen.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:02 PM

realearn to drive whit new charget and injectors

This is true,ive just changed turbo and injector last month and now i have to shift near 2500 or there too much black smoke,this is really good,now usuable power till redline and seem beyond that but im to scary to try it
Old 12-01-2007, 09:26 PM

sorry wont make it, im half a world away right now. thanks tho! so how long does it take for you to reach 10 psi? and who would you suggest i go with for the charger? wont i have to get a hx-40 downpipe too?

thanks,

jeremy
Old 12-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Chapter President

Yes, You'll have to get a DP to go with the turbo. From a stand still if I just plant the coal pedal it will take roughly 3-4 of seconds to see 10 psi?? but I don't drive my truck like that... too much fuel too early. I roll into it.

Sorry, I missed where you said you were deployed.

Check out http://www.timsturbos.com/S300G_Turbocharger.html
Old 12-02-2007, 12:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike D, do you have any specs about that relatively cheap turbo? Is it like a super B/ HTBG 57mm compressor, or is it a 62 series compressor wheel? BD and HTT say the 57mm wheel will only support 425 HP. But Tim claims 450+ so is his turbo bigger that the 57mm series?
Old 12-02-2007, 12:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm pretty sure the S300g is a 57mm wheel, and also that 450hp is a bit of a stretch.

Also, these turbos are (from what I understand) straight from B-W, and the wastegate actuator interferes, and you can have other fitment issues (like oil drain).

This is why it's worth considered a "diesel shop" turbo like HTT or II as they address these issues for you.

JMO
Old 12-02-2007, 04:11 AM

what kind of miliage are you seeing with normal driving?
Old 12-02-2007, 06:54 AM

any comments on an s300? who to buy from, better versions, etc...? how would this differ or be like a 62/12, mach 1.6 or mach 2's, and my edge juice? mileage, spoolup, etc...

thanks,

jeremy

Quick Reply: what turbo and injector combo...