Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What should I make at work for my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I make at work for my truck?

It's 10:00AM. I work til 4:00PM. Not only that, but I have nothing to do for the rest of the day. I'm an engineer, but I can run the manual machines down in the shop too.

So what could I and should I make with whats available? Unlimited material resources, but limited to non-CNC machines since our programmer is out all week too.

You guys got any ideas?!
Old 05-06-2008, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bumpers.....or exhaust
Old 05-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Banned

some battery tie downs would be a nice little project if you care what it looks like under the hood.

if you had a manual i would say a nice shift **** turned down on a lathe. you could do one for the 4x4 shifter tho
Old 05-06-2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by rollincoal02
some battery tie downs would be a nice little project if you care what it looks like under the hood.

if you had a manual i would say a nice shift **** turned down on a lathe. you could do one for the 4x4 shifter tho
You mean like this?

Got bored awhile back and modeled them up, just never made them. I'll have to track down some aluminum today and see what I can make. Definitely won't be able to put the writing in
Old 05-06-2008, 12:26 PM

psh, it aint THAT hard to write on a manual mill. Just like an etch-a-sketch

Really tho, if you wanted you could plasma cut then clean her up w/ a die grinder or dremel. but thats only if you wanted to get artsy fartsy.

I don't know what you got at your shop but if you got welding equipment I'd make some side steps, headache rack, bumpers, exhaust, steering box stabilizer, lift kit, or just machine some cool aluminium accents for the cab.

What kinda engineering do you do? I'm a manufacturing engineer at General Dynamics - Ordnance and Tactical Systems. I wish I had that kind of free time to build stuff.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:32 PM

Design Engineer at Davenport Machine (ever heard of a screw machine?).

Sadly though the machine hasnt changed much in about 80 years so its usually fixing, repairing, random tool attachments, etc...

Not to mention machine sales are in a serious slump right now.

p.s. those were some GREAT ideas. I've got all of the above available btw.

All sorts of grinders, plasma cutter, waterjet, wire edm, welders, manual and cnc machines, etc...Pretty well stocked shop for the most part. Even do our own heat treating.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:52 PM

luckey Edit
. I'm in the process of equipping my personal shop with a new MIG, plastma cutter, whole pneumatic system for tools/grinders, and my grandpas old manual lathe, manual horizontal mill and in the future vertical mill. Unfortuantely I can't afford CNC, but oneday i want to start a machine shop so I'll get one then.

That's awesome you guys have heat treatment capabilities. You could make SO much cool stuff at your shop. Depending on your tool selection for them CNC's you could do some really cool surfaced parts for your dash. I actually machined a whole dodge truck (obviously scale model, about 7 inches long) w/ advanced surfacing techniques in CATIA with a 3axis haas machine a few months ago. Turned out pretty cool.

you also could plasma cut some cool badging for your truck, some stuff saying Cummins powered or something. maybe weld em to your bumper.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd suggest making turbo spacers that will allow easy installation of a large external wastegate.

Just a spacer that matches the T3 flange, and adds another 2" or so. This spacer should have a flat surface on top that would allow a person to weld the wg flange to it and easily install a large external gate on the manifold.

A high-flowing gate is essential for optimizing twins, and many gate setups I've seen are barely passable.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:50 PM

I could make this tomorrow without much issue, but at the current time I have no use for it

Should be pretty close to a T3 flange from what google turned up, but I can't be certain.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:54 PM

solid edge?
Old 05-06-2008, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by checkster
solid edge?
Solidworks, actually. My favorite software I've tried yet. Made a print before I left work (I'm home now), but I'm definitely gonna make those tie downs in the morning if they'll fit. Only issue I have is that I have larger batteries than stock so they might not fit in under my fenders.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:16 PM

Two sets of ladder bars one for you and the other for your new best friend.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:29 PM

Make me something....make an intake tube, make ranch-hand bumpers...make staxx clamps for stacks...or something similiar don't copy complete they may not like those the battery hold-down looks awesome I like that, you could also make some cummins badges, I would buy some....
Old 05-06-2008, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi
how about 2 nuts for a stearing stabilizer , 1 for you and 1 for me !

i am talking about the part that screws on where the pitman arm nut goes to extend the shaft into the 1"dia bearing !
Old 05-07-2008, 02:11 AM

What about a bhaf heat sheild???

Quick Reply: What should I make at work for my truck?