Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What is my problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is my problem?

With the bombs I have installed my truck does have good acceleration but I cannot spin the rear wheels much less smoke em' :'( as I have heard others can do. So far I have not punched the wire on my EZ Comp but it just doesn't seem as I should have to, to just spin a wheel every now and then, especially with the torque these trucks put out. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Gene007
WarWagon
Old 12-20-2003, 07:21 AM

Re:What is my problem?

Pierce the wire and hold the brake and accelerator down HARD!

I could spin the rears with just EZ and 275's with a stock tranny.

--Justin
Old 12-20-2003, 07:26 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Step hard on the brake, bring the RPM up, Boost to 10-15 PSI, dump the brake pedal and SMOKE 'EM.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I could do that. :'(
Old 12-20-2003, 07:44 PM

These trucks do have prodigious power, but it takes the turbo a while to spool up. Power braking as others have said will get them rolling, and once the boost is up there is no end to the smoke from the tires. My truck will break them loose once the boost builds, as long as I am not going too fast. And I am not severely BOMBed, YET!! Looking for a TST PM3 with remote after the holidays, and a new tranny.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:48 AM

Brake torquing an auto is what we used to do in the 60's when there were some big torque gassers around. I had a 63 buick wildcat with 440 ft lbs of torque when you stomped the breakes and got the back tires rolling she would smoke em all the way to the tire store. This is however a little hard on the tranny and the rear end. another thing we used to do after we got a little money, is to put a stall converter on , this would allow to get the rpm up before launching. I had one on a Corvette and it was outstanding. I have not seen anything on this site about stall coverters but then again I can't imagine having one on a CTD unless you want to drag race it.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:02 AM

Last time I did that on a vehicle (my ol' man's '67 Impala) I wrapped the fan belt all over the fan when it snapped.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:52 AM

Things to consider. What size tires are you running? What is the gear ratio? Do you have a LSD? Tires are expensive. To my way of thinking, if you are smoking the tires you ain't going anywhere to fast. If you have good acceleration don't worry about it. Otherwise as others have suggested, powerbraking the thing if you really want to do it. Careful on boost pressure tho. 15psi at line, even on drag strip may cause you to break output. Unless you have a billet output shaft, you could be sorry and it will become quite expensive and inconvenient.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:11 PM

Just for the fun of it I was at a 4 way stop this morning and as I sat there for some reason I thought about this post.
I held the brake and jumped on the go pedal It did not take long for the rear wheels to turn over I let off the brake and listened to the tires tslk for a second then got off of it.
Keep in mind no bombs on my truck except for air and exaust.
I can't imagine wanting to spin the rubber off my BFG's very often but it satisfied my curiosity. ;D
Old 12-22-2003, 07:55 PM

I was waiting for someone to chime in and say they too did this , I was thinking about the same thing yesterday,and it was the second time I spun mine since t he mods I have in mine was put in and Jim Fulmer and I test drove it,as I am not into wearing out tires and I use this truck to travel and pull, I did not let it go for long either just enough to make a 5 foot mark and I too quit,as want to make my tranny last as long as I can. Thanks eieio,that made me day as I was feeling kind of silly too!!! Goodluck RIck
Old 12-23-2003, 07:56 AM

Do we really have to point out all your problems

Just kidding! Transmission plays the role of spinning tires my daulie would not light em till I had DTT behind em.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:09 AM

How did you install that DTT behind them dual's In jest, I bet you installed it in front of them Do you like your trans? That is a stupid ? How many miles do you have on it? Goodluck Rick
Old 12-23-2003, 12:37 PM

kandgo 15,000 Km so far the ride is parked for winter. Best mod I have done to my truck it works very very well. I could not spin the tires before with any of the local vendors trans I got DTT now I can chirp on the 1-2 shift with a daulie! I love my transmission it works flawlessly and I could not trade it for anything
Old 12-23-2003, 01:18 PM

The 2001 auto trucks have a defuel issue that DC calls torque managment. Thier attempt to save the stock auto.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[quote author=StakeMan link=board=7;threadid=24031;start=0#msg228259 date=1072207135]
The 2001 auto trucks have a defuel issue that DC calls torque managment. Thier attempt to save the stock auto.
[/quote]
You mean 'save it' so it breaks down OUT of warranty.

Mike

Quick Reply: What is my problem?