Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

what kind of mpg from hub convertion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what kind of mpg from hub convertion?

if i can ever get ahold of ems im going to order the hub convertion kit and the CAD delete kit. one of my buddys is thinking of haveing my order him the same thing but hes more worried about milage then any of the other binefits. anyone done it already and have some feedback on what u gained?
Old 12-26-2007, 01:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have ran other vehicles (not my 24V) with hub disconnects and without, and with front and rear half shafts removed altogether and noticed zero difference in fuel mileage. I think most of such claims are perceived changes, not real: people start driving a bit less aggressively and think the change is due to the hubs. I would dare say that strong wind would cause more change in the drag of these trucks than the hubs.
-P
Old 12-26-2007, 02:30 PM

see i was told it mad a pritty noticable difference before, but cant find the post or the person that had them.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
I have ran other vehicles (not my 24V) with hub disconnects and without, and with front and rear half shafts removed altogether and noticed zero difference in fuel mileage. I think most of such claims are perceived changes, not real: people start driving a bit less aggressively and think the change is due to the hubs. I would dare say that strong wind would cause more change in the drag of these trucks than the hubs.
-P
That's some good info and I buy it. If you ever jack up the front on a 4x4, you'll notice that it's pretty easy to spin the wheels by hand. So I don't think there's much resistance or decreased fuel economy by having the hubs always connected. Given that, I don't see a real good reason to buy a hub conversion kit. Bearings don't fail that often...
Old 12-26-2007, 04:21 PM

i would say the increase in mileage is because the existing bearings are worn out. when you install the hub conversion kit the new bearings are what increase your mileage, not because you are eliminating the spinning of the drivetrain. you could very well see the same mileage increase by replacing the unit hubs with new ones because they contain new bearings.

i dont think it'll hurt, but unless everything you do is stop/go (accelerating the mass of that drivetrain) you will see very minimal increases on the highway...that is, if you see any increase at all.

just my inexperienced $0.02
Old 12-26-2007, 06:46 PM

I think its great because you can spend 40 bucks on some new bearings instead of 260 or whatever the hub assembly costs. Oh and 2wd low range
Old 12-26-2007, 10:28 PM

ya i tow so the 2 low would be nice, i also dont like that my 4x4 realys on a vacum line. i do do alot of stop and go to so... guess ill just have to see what i get if emc off road ever gets back to me...

Trending Topics

Old 12-27-2007, 12:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't have the CAD, so there's not that much advantage to me for a free-spin hub conversion.

I don't think the drag of the front axle is that much with a good lube. I actually prefer to have the front axle spinning, as it circulates lube and keeps seals conditioned and prevents rust on gears and such. It also helps remove moisture by increasing the operating temp of the diff up front to a more appropriate temp.

I get 20mpg most times with the front axle always engaged-- so how much better could it really get?

I gotta say, though-- my mileage hasn't been so hot since I got my truck back. 16.7 hwy from Bismarck to Fargo, and 18ish from Minneapolis to Chicago. But that's cold weather, brutal crosswinds, and winter fuel for ya..

jmo