Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What Kind Of Locking Differential Should I Get?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Kind Of Locking Differential Should I Get?

Im looking to install a locker in my '02. Ive seen the Airlock, the Elock, and standard locker kit. I would prefer the elock, but can anyone tell me whats the best setup?
Old 09-06-2006, 06:56 PM
JAX

One word, DETROIT! Yes they're somewhat quirky on road, yes they increase tire wear somewhat, yes they pop and bang around corners, but here's the good stuff: YES they are bulletproof, YES they have been proven in every vehicle immaginable, NO you will not break it, NO you don't have to flip a switch, NO you don't have to run an electrical line or air line or cable. NO you don't have to add any special fluid, NO you don't have any clutches to wear out.

Bottom line, it's indestructable. You will break axles before you break a detroit locker. It's always gonna work for you, ALWAYS. And I believe it's the cheapest true locker on the market for our trucks. If you can get beyond the road manners (which really aren't that bad once you get used to it), you will love it. I have one in mine, and wouldn't give it up for the world.

Edit: I see that you have an auto tranny, that makes it even better, the auto will "suck up" a bunch of the quirky traits of the Detroit. And by seeing that your truck is 2wd, I am guessing that you want this thing for better traction while racing or showing off doing burnouts and such? Def go Detroit, it's the drag racers choice for lockers if they're not spooled up.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second the Detroit locker, but if the truck is a daily driver you probably want a selectable locker, ARB, Elocker. ARB is probably one of the most popular. Not cheap though.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:06 PM

I'm going to put a Truetrac in mine.

I wouldn't mind an Air Locker, but its nicer to just have Posi all the time.

And its a lot more expensive.

A Detroit locker is great for off road or sled pulling, but not good for the street.

In a 2wd, I would just go for a limited slip.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:11 PM

Thanks, Jax. I will have to do some research on the Detroit before I make my decision. It is a daily driver that I use for hiway driving on weekends to get to my house upstate, so I need some kind of manageability. I have a steep driveway which can be a bit muddy sometimes, so being able to hit a button on the dash would be a help.And Im looking for traction control in sticky situations, as well as getting the horses to the ground efficiently.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:21 PM
JAX

You know, the only time you'll really notice a Detroit with an auto is around turns if you let off the accelerator and then get back on it again. The locker will unlock and then lock again and scare the holy bejezuz out of you and you'll pull over to check and make sure that your tranny didn't just fall out of your truck. But as far as the highway is concerned, you'll never even know it's there while cruising. One other point I might convey here is most of the guys that are running selectable lockers are running them in the front axle. This is so that they can unlock it to be able to turn. I have found (the hard way) that if you are depending on a button to engage your locker for you, you may find that by the time you press it, it's too late and the power of the extra tire will do no good. IMHO it's better to have both axles locked and ready for whatever situation you may or may not see yourself getting into. This may not directly apply to you due to the fact that your rig is a 2wd that may not see many dirt roads or muddy washes. But I grew up the Sierra Nevada mtns and cut my teeth on the Rubicon and Barret Lake and Fordyce. My opinion is very "Narrow" when it comes to traction enhancement devices. OK, done, sorry bout the book.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm

i know detroits are seeminly bulletproof for our trucks, but has anyone given thought to a powertrax?

Rick
Old 09-06-2006, 10:55 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I'm leaning toward a selectable (electric if available). I think a Detroit may be bad for stability when on an icy highway.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:57 PM

OK, whats the easiest way to find out what kind of Dana rear I have? I looked today and the tag is a bit rusty and I cannot make out anything on it. The cover has 10 bolts on it.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:00 PM

I broke a detroit. I like them but not bullet proof.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:06 PM

as much as i am biased toward strength and simplicity and and all that, a limited slip would be better for your application. you have to have an idea what your doing with a locker and icy/muddy roads. certainly doable, but probably not needed.

i too, have broken a few detroits.

jeremy
Old 09-06-2006, 11:11 PM

3/4 ton automatics have the Dana 70

Keep in mind, there are different spline counts. I'm not positive but I think Dodge versions are 32 spline
Old 09-06-2006, 11:16 PM

You can see on the casting on one of the gussets at the differential, there should be either a 70 or an 80 cast into the housing. If you can afford it, I'd go selectable if you want the versatility. On icy roads having both locked together isn't bad as long as you know how to predict where the rear end of the truck is going to want to go. If you don't want the selectable one and still want good street manners, I'd go with a limited slip. I favor the Powr Lok because it is pretty darn cheap, new or used. You could pick up a used one of ebay and throw new clutches in it and be set for a long time and have a tight rear end with good street manners.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:39 PM
RJF

A detroit is a bad choice for these trucks, if you are still using it for it's intended purpose. To tow and haul. They are not very good for towing and bad for winter driving, they are just so aggressive.

Go with a Powerlock, they work just fine.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:15 AM

There is a Powerlok on ebay right now with only a bid of $100. I would think a limited slip would be you're best bet. Wish I had more BOMB money, would buy it in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply: What Kind Of Locking Differential Should I Get?