Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What injectors for P-pump swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My take on the p-pump conversion is this..... If you want max HP at the cost of all else then go this route. This being said you can extract 650+ RWHP on #2 or over 800 RWHP using nitrous on a VP equipped truck. The conversion requires tons of tuning to really get the potential from the motor. No longer can you expect to just bolt on parts and get the HP gains one can with an electronic truck. In fact there are very few conversion trucks out there so good knowledge on this subject is hard to come by. As you can see by Ron's statement on the number of injectors he has tried, and I don't even want to wager how many turbos he has giev a whirl.

With that being said F1 does make a conversion injector. There is a lot more to these than just playing with pop pressures. They work well and help out with a ton of the idiosyncrasies this setup can have. These injectors can be made to order so sizing is dependant upon needs. I am not saying other injectors will not work but rather F1 has an injector designed just for this application.

Doug
Old 08-16-2007, 04:28 PM

I got my kit from Schied's for the timing cover, lines and linkage stuff. Picked up a used pump on here that was already outfitted with the 4k GSK and 10 plate. The swap is pretty straight forward. I had to grind some material off the head for the oil line to clear, as well as notch where the APPS goes so I could tighten the nuts that hold the pump on. Using 24v Jammer 2's with it, haven't been set since they were put in the truck two years ago. When cold, it idles great. When hot, the idle will fall to around 750 and it sounds lopey, but is still smooth. The HRVP I had would shake the truck, the truck still feels smooth.

Factory dash is the easy part. Unplug what you remove, leave the rest. I only have two connections not used, the APPS and the VP44. The Schied's kit comes with an adapter to keep the Cam Sensor. Its where the timing pin would go on the 12v. The 24v gear is different, and it wouldn't pin at TDC anyway. Been a month and 4k km on the swap, and there is still no CEL.

I've got a list I made in Notepad of all the parts and P/N of the parts that come in the swap kit from Schied's. I won't be home for a month, but I'll send it to you when I get there. Things off the top of my head that aren't included are fuel shutoff solenoid, FSS harness and relays, proper oil line to the vacuum pump (the stock one twists up if you try to use it with the new fittings), overflow valve and return line, proper fittings for the oil line to the injection pump (clearance is of big concern). Also, the 24v throttle cable has a bigger ball end on it than the 12v linkage, so either go to a 12v cable, or cut up your APPS and make it work.

On the lift pump side of things, I don't think you'll neccesarily have to go high pressure. I was running my old FASS which was 17-18 psi (oddly enough, it was higher with the P-pump than the VP), and just upgraded to the 45 psi unit 2 days ago. I really haven't noticed much difference in how it drives. With the old FASS and the VP, I could suck it down to 10 psi. With the p-pump and old FASS, I could only get it down to 16. I don't think it was even going through the overflow.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Banned

You might PM 12valve, he has put a few p-pumps on 24v trucks, he could probably offer some insight. I'm actually surprised he hasn't seen this thread yet.

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
That Burnt orange color is sweet, if my truck ever gets hit or I win the lotto I will be painting mine a similar color.
I always knew I like you for some reason (HOOK 'EM)
Old 08-17-2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
That Burnt orange color is sweet, if my truck ever gets hit or I win the lotto I will be painting mine a similar color.

Thanks Alot! You might not believe this but that is a factory paint job! Havent see one on a diesel before.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Banned

never seen it on ANY ram before
Old 09-11-2007, 08:29 PM

hooked thats a 160 pump you got on there . looks to run good i heard that those pumps didnt work that well on the p-pump 24v trucks.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:40 PM

i am running just a set of highflow injectors and have not had a bit of trouble
my buddy got his 98 24v done it has stock injectors and no isues with his yet either they both seem to idle smoother and quieter
Old 09-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Banned

never seen it on ANY ram before
TJ..
The color is called "Amber Fire Pearlcoat" and was a Half year color only starting with the early 01's and it was dropped in mid year.ma Mopar claimed that it was due to "lack of interest".The numbers on this color are very low in 2500's and in 3500's only 2 were built.Sport Versions are even lower in the 2500's.This color was more popular in the 1500's and Dakotas.I have been looking for a 2500 Sport in this color for years.........Andy
Old 09-12-2007, 10:10 AM

Yep mine is a Sport it is kind of cool to have one of the VERY VERY few.