Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What is to be gained by p-pumping a 24v

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is to be gained by p-pumping a 24v

Just like the title says what is to be gained and how easy is it to do, or should I say how hard is it to do. Really considering doing just need some input on what im up against.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:54 PM

your current vp is electronically controled so when you put boxes on it changes the fuel and timming of your vp to make power. The p7100 pump is a mechanical pump so no boxes. By moddifying the p pump you can gain the same fuel and timming as the boxes were putting out. You can also put out a lot more fuel with it and not ever run out. The p pump will out run and out last a vp but there are no adjust on the fly with the p pump, to turn it up or down will require under the hood tuning. I may be wrong but this is how I understood they work
Old 10-13-2008, 05:10 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reliability.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:29 PM

And? Power, how hard to convert, etc...

Thanks
Old 10-14-2008, 12:21 AM

you basically gain the best pump that has the ability to make stupid amounts of horsepower because tones of fuel can be ran through it and it will be done reliably. As for the conversion im not so sure but i do know the cam has to have a lobe ment for a mechanical fuel pump, newfuel lines have to be ran, somthing has to be done wiht the ecm seeing how it will no longer control the p pump
Old 10-14-2008, 01:54 AM

You will get better airflow then just using a 12valve engine. 24 valve heads flow more air.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:03 AM

go to search and look up p7100 swap and there is a guy talking about it there. They have alot of input on how to do it whats better how much it will cost and pros and cons. I'm a student at wyotech and I am also looking to do the same thing but they are putting some numbers down that i cant afford right at this point but alot of good info. The way I understand it, it is quite the job to acomplish you cant just stick it in, you have to get new lines that are expensive inless you know someone that can make them for you, time the whole engine for the pump. In the end it would be a bad son of a B***h
Old 10-14-2008, 08:43 AM

I think a p-pump has its place but unless you need over 670 hp dont do it , I know people that have done it on a 24-v its not easy, and thay both tell me dont ever do it. you will need twins to burn the extra fuel . I have never done it just know guys that have , dont get me wrong I think its cool to have a p-pump 24v , just might wont to have something extra to drive untill you get the bugs worked out .
Old 10-14-2008, 06:45 PM

What you have to remember is how the P-pump works. It in stock form will not flow a bunch of fuel (if it did then a bunch of companies would lose a ton of money) In order of it to flow a ton of fuel it would need fuel plate, and delivery valves change.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by 97 D-Tec
What you have to remember is how the P-pump works. It in stock form will not flow a bunch of fuel (if it did then a bunch of companies would lose a ton of money) In order of it to flow a ton of fuel it would need fuel plate, and delivery valves change.
You can get enough fuel from a 160 pump to burn a stock motor down with out spending a dime!!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 09:04 PM

The argument comes down to an electronically controlled pump versus a purely mechanical one. The electronic pump is much more streetable. You have superior fueling control and the timing is not static. If you like to mod your truck a lot, then the 24V has the advantage of being able to be programmed and this can be turned on and off as needed. The biggest problem is that the electronic IP is not as reliable as the mechanical one. The advantage of going mechanical besides reliability is potential fuel flow. This is only a factor for the really high horsepower builds.

In my mind, it doesn't make sense to do the swap unless you really want a high horsepower, smoky truck or you want the ultimate in reliability. If it is something that you think is cool and would be a "fun" project, then that is also a reason to potentially consider it.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dartmouth 12V
The argument comes down to an electronically controlled pump versus a purely mechanical one. The electronic pump is much more streetable. You have superior fueling control and the timing is not static. If you like to mod your truck a lot, then the 24V has the advantage of being able to be programmed and this can be turned on and off as needed. The biggest problem is that the electronic IP is not as reliable as the mechanical one. The advantage of going mechanical besides reliability is potential fuel flow. This is only a factor for the really high horsepower builds.

In my mind, it doesn't make sense to do the swap unless you really want a high horsepower, smoky truck or you want the ultimate in reliability. If it is something that you think is cool and would be a "fun" project, then that is also a reason to potentially consider it.
Very well said....I have both VP and P-pump trucks and feel the VP is fine for 99% of the people out there. The P-pump just cant do what the VP can. Now in the same breath......my only VP truck is getting a P-pump as soon as the snow falls
Old 10-14-2008, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smoke, power, and reliability can all be adjusted and tuned for a perfect balance. It seems that most people that do the homemade mods or installs don't have the capacity to do the needed tuning to make a p-pump run on the street, flow great quantities of fuel, all without smoking anymore than a VP. Install a valet switch and you can cut back fuel just as you would with a box. Your timing is static, but I don't see the big deal with that. Do like Ron Popiel, "Set it, and forget it". Keeping your timing advanced even with the smaller amount of fuel you can run using a valet will only help that I can see. Faster spool up, lower egts, more rpm's, and better fuel mileage would only be an advantage in my eyes. Sure it costs more to set up a pump like that, but if you're going to do it, why not make it right? Like the saying goes, "It only costs a little more to go first class." I say go for it, if you want to. I haven't talked to anybody that didn't enjoy it after the swap but like I said, they were done right the first time. Just my .02
The following users liked this post:
julianarrow (10-25-2021)
Old 10-14-2008, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by logskidder
You can get enough fuel from a 160 pump to burn a stock motor down with out spending a dime!!!!
o yea if u decided to basically gut it you could
Old 10-15-2008, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by 97 D-Tec
o yea if u decided to basically gut it you could
You can get the same amount of fuel with a plate and working afc as you can with a gutted pump. With a gutted pump you just cant tune the fuel where you want it.

Quick Reply: What is to be gained by p-pumping a 24v