Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What fittings on SS hose for fuel pressure gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What fittings on SS hose for fuel pressure gauge?

I have a set of gauges on the way. For the fuel pressure gauge I don't have a hose, but would like to have a stainless steel braided hose made up before it comes in. Can anyone tell me the diameter of the hose, as well as the length of the hose I need, and the size of the fittings on each end?

Also, should I connect the gauge to the filter housing, or to the schraeder falve on the VP44? I saw the needle valve trick on the bottom of the filter housing, but also saw in another guy's photo section that he had it hooked to the VP44...so now I'm confused.

My gauge should be in tomrrow, but I only have 95 miles of engine waranty left and would like to catch the lift pump if it is failing before the waranty ends if possible, so the more detailed your response, the better the hlep.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on what brand gauge you are getting, but if it's an AutoMeter they are designed to use 3/16 ID Fittings. Part #'s are 3234, 3225, 3236 for the hoses they sell for them. might be worth waiting until your guage arrives to know for sure what size you need.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:05 PM

I think you are right, I will end up waiting. However, I forgot to mention that they are Isspros, and it's a mechanical that I will be running without a isolator.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:23 PM

You don't need a steel; braided line at all. How much pressure does that put out? I went to a hydraulic shop and got all the brass fittings, and got some barbed fittings. Then got some hose that can stand diesel and 300lbs of pressure. I then pieced it all together. Super easy.

Total cost was under $25.

Dima
Old 04-25-2005, 07:20 PM

Compared to rubber, what would the price of a stainless line run, you think?
Old 04-25-2005, 08:07 PM
Muted User

Stainless Line w/ fittings is probably going to cost you around $40. I went with stainless because i like the piece of mind not worrying about the line rubbing up against something and piercing it, but i know plenty of people who just use the same plastic 1/8 line you use for a boost gauge to run fuel to their mechanical fuel pressure gauge. Not something i would reccommend but they haven't had any problems yet. Just run whatever you feel comfortable with.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:29 PM

i just ordered a 48" SS braided #3 line from a racing shop for $16 one adapter to get it to the 1/8"NPT and its a no worry deal, i didnt want diesel fuel all in my cab.

colemanracing.com has them, its for brake line applications, but we use them for our gauges, throwout bearings, bleeders ect.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:10 AM

So do I have it made up for the test port on the injector pump, or for the fuel filter canister?
Old 04-26-2005, 07:26 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I also used ss line. I got mine from summit racing they had 3, 4, or 6 foot lengths with the fittings on them. I would use the outlet of the fuel flter. The one on the bottom of the cannister. You may want the test ports. You can use a tapped banjo for that. I know the dealer does if you need to take it in to them and they need to test the pressure for some reason. Been there done that. They wouldnt test it because it didnt have the schrader. I had to go up there take it off and put the schrader back in before they would do it. If you do go that route and need a tapped banjo let me know. I have one that I am no longer using since I replaced my fuel system. No longer need to worry about the dealer needing a test port since my warranty is long gone and it will be a cold day before the dealer sees my truck.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:26 AM

Does NAPA sell tapped banjos? I'm kind of in a fix because I only have about 75 miles of my waranty left and don't want to go over in case the lift pump is almost shot and I can get a free one out of them. Don't really have time to wait on shipping.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:51 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
NAPA does not sell them. Only place I know of is www.genosgarage.com You might be able to use one of the schraders with a proper fitting. Since they are using flow as a test for the lp instead of pressure like they used too maybe they dont need the schraders to perform the test. Worse case like myself I had to go up and change it out but it only took a couple minutes. Ran up there on my lunch hour and did it in the parking lot. If you end up deciding you want a tapped banjo let me know.