Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What does a timing box do? especially when stacked with a fueling box?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does a timing box do? especially when stacked with a fueling box?

What does adding timing to fueling do? or just adding timing in general? i would like to stack the XZT+ to my xzillaraider but i'm not sure what the benefits are going to be? more power at lower rpms?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:58 PM

I put a Diablo Power Puck on my '01 ctd and it woke it up quite a bit. I noticed a lot more get up at low RPM's and i could rev higher. Then I put on my TST and it is amazing, but same thing its helps the lower RPM's out a lot.

P.M. me if you have any q's
Old 09-18-2007, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
smarty is what i like
Old 09-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Added timing adds fuel earlier in the power stroke. Gives the fuel more time to burn and create more cylinder pressure. The down side is the piston is exposed to the heat longer, that's why people see a lower reading on their EGT gauge, the excess fuel isn't burning in the exhaust manifold.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:42 PM

ok so the turbo probably spools quicker at lower rpms then? I find my truck quite sluggish at 50mph, i don't get much boost, the turbo doesn't spool all that quick and the power doesn't really come on until 60+mph in overdrive even on the +120hp setting on my box. Once the power comes on though its great...
Old 09-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Banned

Timing also generally helps milage.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:14 PM

The smarty will make your turbo want to spool if thats what you're looking for.

But if you're having trouble spooling a hy35 there is a problem. You can turnbuckle your wastegate shut and it might be worth your while to check for boost leaks. Any codes?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:36 AM

Well the words "timing box" gets mis-used quite a bit. So far the ONLY timing ONLY box that I am aware of is our Mileage module. In this event what you have been told is correct. It basically starts the injection earlier so that more fuel can be burned in the sweet spot of combustion making the engine more efficient. It essentially increases the power stroke of the motor and that is why it makes more power.

Now, the XZT+ like all the other "timing boxes" adds fuel as well but, it does it differently that tapping the wire like the 120hp box you have now. So they really wake the truck up because they add fuel and timing. Just adding timing will help but, it will not be a huge gain like a fueling and timing box will.

Now, if you get the XZT plus you can use timing only by selecting the L1 position or add timing and fueling mode in the L2 setting or you can turn it off. You can do all of the above on the fly while you drive.

Now, I am guessing that if you are having difficulty in spooling your turbo now this will help some but, you have another issue. My first guess is that you TC is probably the weak link. If you are not getting the power down and there is not much load on the motor you are not going to be building boost like you want and as quickly as you want.

I mean you can get the XZT+ and load the aggressive tuning up and it will spool the turbo as fast as anything on the market but, if you have a TC problem or clutches slipping it is not going to do a lot of good.

As much as we like to see you add another electronic performance part you might be spending better money on some transmission modifications before you do that.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:00 AM

I have no codes but i supose a boost leak is possible.. what rpms should the turbo start to spool well at? How much boost should i be able to get when i floor it at 60mph? I can get 35psi once rpms get up to 1700ish but at 50-60mph i'm lucky to get 10-15psi...

I can spool the turbo no problem when the torque converter is unlocked but once it locks up, if the rpms aren't above 1700 it doesn't like to spool and i can't seem to get more than 10psi or so... Perhaps i should start another thread on this... i don't think its my tranny thats the problem