Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What do you recommend for better mileage & power?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What do you recommend for better mileage & power?

I have a '99 2500 Quad Cab Long Bed 4x4. It is a CTD/5 speed with 3.54 gears. I love this truck and it is by far the best truck that I have ever owned. It is mechanically stock except for:

-K&N air filter in the stock air box
-Stock muffler removed, but still has the resonator
-Holley Blue Pump in-line near the fuel tank

I have been averaging 19 mpg lately. With fuel prices on the rise I have been considering either a set of injectors or something like an EZ box to increase the fuel mileage.
What would you recommend that I do? I thought that I had read somewhere that you can see a mileage increase with some of the smaller injectors (60-80 HP) but if you went over 100 horsepower, that you really didn't gain any mileage. Is there any truth to that?
Basically, I would like to increase the mileage as much as possible and any power gain would be icing on the cake. Also, how limited am I with the stock clutch? Is 80-90 HP too much?

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:58 PM

My EZ didn't increase nothing, except the fun! Can't keep my foot away from the GO pedal.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:13 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could try cleaning you IAT sensor, there's a couple of threads on how to, handshakers tend to see dirter sensors than us auto guys. Don't buy an EZ or injectors for fuel milage increase, you'll be disappointed. If you do it for the factor than by all means bomb away. Keep it around 1800-1900 rpm on the highway to get the best milage. Summer fuel is around the corner...keep the faith..
Old 03-17-2005, 04:23 PM

From what I've read here and a the TDR site, the 275RV injectors are a good choice. Alone or with an EZ.

FWIW.

BTW, I wouldn't complain about the 19mpg. Hard for me to break 15, with the flatbed on the truck. Had it a little better with the dually box on. Best of 17.5, then.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:49 PM

@ 19 mpg you are so close to the peak of economy you will spend $1000 now and see 1-2 mpg if you are lucky....chances are you will burn more fuel just cause you can with the upgraaded truck.....but you will have a smile like a kid at the carnival
Old 03-18-2005, 08:32 AM

Question

Do you guys mean that injectors won't increase your mileage at all or that they won't because I won't be able to keep my foot out of it?
DTT advertises that their injectors will yield a 1-3 mpg increase. Is this just bunk or what?
I do think that I may try a set of smaller injectors and take my chances on the mileage increase. Summit Racing has Bully Dog 60 HP injectors for $368.95. That is about the best deal that I've run across so far. Anyone know of one better?
I think the 60 hp injectors would be about the limit for the stock clutch, right? Someone told me that the stock clutch won't handle much more than 600 lb/ft and theoretically the injectors would add about 100 lb/ft to my stock 480 (IIRC) to bring it to about 580. Does this sound right?
Thanks for the replies so far. I will check the IAT as instructed to see if that helps also.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your looking to save money on cheaper injectors...AND gain mileage...I would not do it. All injectors are not the same. Cheaper ones tend to smoke more (that's unburned fuel). That should tell you something by itself.
I never gained any mileage with any add on I made...but never lost any either. Do it for the fun of more power, or don't do it at all.
If you want max mileage...keep rpm's under 1800 and MPH under 60. Just my $.02 worth.

RJ

Trending Topics

Old 03-18-2005, 04:17 PM

I'm looking for something similar and talked to Rip. He said if Mach 1 injectors don't give you better fuel mileage, he'd buy them back. He comes highly regarded so I have no reason to doubt his guarantee.

As far as mileage improvements with the EZ, I've heard the same thing... some guys do, some don't. I want to keep my stock clutch like you, at least in the near term and add a bit more fun.

Only problem is, the Mach injectors are pricey, but you won't be disappointed in quality from what I have read and heard for over a year now. I'm currently trying to get some feedback on the TDR on this approach as well as what a 4" exhaust might do. Limited responses so far.

But I'm about 95% convinced to get the Machs when I do get injectors. Either 1's or 1.5s but I've heard the clutch MAY not hold 1.5s, at least for very long. Machs have a lot of torque and at low RPMs, that can kill a clutch... sooner or later.

Steve
Old 03-18-2005, 07:24 PM

How about RV275's... ? They are cheap, a great bang for the buck.