Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What do you get with 4 real HID bulbs in the sport headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you think they will get to hot
Old 12-22-2006, 08:50 AM

I doubt it, I remember reading somewhere that HID bulbs burn cooler than halogens
Old 12-22-2006, 08:52 AM

i might have to buy some of those and see how they do. it will have to be after christmas. what would be cool is buying the H1 of them and the 9005. that would look awesome
Old 12-22-2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dave88LX
Holy crap I need to read that over a few times. I do thank you for taking the time to type it out though! What kind of housing does an HID bulb use?
HID bulbs are either D2S (projector) or D2R (reflective housing). It's not 9006, 9005 or anything like that. D2S and D2R are the same thing except d2r has a little shield on it to help with glare. Light output is the same in both.

So as far as housing, the housing is the projectors I was talking about (e46, s2000, etc.)

Originally Posted by Dave88LX
Oh, yeah, and so these aren't a real projector? What are they then?...
Those are projectors made for halogens. They're made to replace your stock Ram headlights with the halogen bulb. They were never made for HIDs. I'd say those projectors will respond better to HID than the stock Ram headlights though...

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
I *think* they're projector housings, but not necessarily used for HID's or maybe not even designed for them. I *believe* when he refers to projectors like in that auction it's everything you need to put HID's in your headlight assemblies because the beam pattern is already defined by the round glass looking thingy? Am I close?
Yes, you're correct. The "round glass" thingy is the projector.

Originally Posted by LanceD
I have the above pictured projector headlights, the light pattern is much better than stock and it has a distinct cutoff point. but there is a sticker on the side of the housing that says "not for HID use" is this because the HIDs are hotter or just because its not designed for them? they use an H1 bulb by the way.

would I be able to unscrew the projector in them and put a audi or other HID projector right into it? are they all the same size?
It's not designed for HIDs because the beam pattern will be messed up and could be dangerous. For example, it might produce "glare" to the left. So if you're driving in a two lane highway at night, you will blind oncoming traffic which is dangerous. You might be able to put an OEM projector in there by unscrewing the one that came with it. People have done this in the past. Just gotta make sure the dimensions of the new projector are the same as the old one. HID bulbs run cooler than halogen. They draw only 35 watts compared to 55 watts in halogen (except at start up they draw 7-8 amps for about 6 seconds).

Originally Posted by adidasman23
http://www.coolbulbs.com/HIDKits_body.asp

what about these. are these real HID or just another fake
Those are real. But some aftermarket brand. I personally wouldn't buy it. The ballasts usually don't last very long. The problem with aftermarket kits is that they're usually made in China.

*EDIT: I just realized that kit you were talking about is actually Philips. It's a good brand.

Every manufacturer is a little different with their color vs. K scale. But 4300k is the brightest you can get. All the luxury cars you see have 4300k bulbs. The higher K you get, the bluer the color gets, and the dimmer the light output gets. I'd say up to 6000k or so, you'll have very bright output.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:13 PM

what are the reliable brands of ballasts to look for with a kit? I heard Hella is good?
Old 12-22-2006, 04:33 PM

Well I think that about made my mind up. I'm gonna find an OEM set of projectors, and throw them in a set of sport lights. Which slot would be best to put them in? 9004 or 9007? Does that seem like a good combo to do? What's the best approach for wiring the truck though?

Shawn
Old 12-22-2006, 07:20 PM

Yeah... Hella, Osram, Philips, Bosch, Matsushita, Catz, etc. are all good. You can normally tell it's oem by the way it looks. OEM stuff doesn't look all fancy. Might want to check out www.hidplanet.com. You can probably find a good deal on a whole package in the buy/sell forum.

One last thing you'll need is a wiring harness. With the 8 amp draw at start up that HIDs have, you might melt your stock wiring harness in the long run. All you need is a 4 or 5 pin automotive relay and some wires. On the relay, hook terminals 85 and 86 to the pos./neg. terminals in the factory headlight plug so it activates the relay whenever you turn your headlights on. Then hook up terminal 30 to the pos. battery terminal, and 87 to the pos. HID ballast terminal. You can find diagrams on HIDPlanet.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:50 PM

That's actually a really good site. 400 bones for the whole bosch projector set-up. Doesn't seem that bad at all.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:05 PM

Hey guys, I got to thinkin', would anyone be interested in buying my whole HID retro kit? How does $460 shipped sound for everything including the Depo clear lens headlights. PM me if interested. Now I'm actually thinking about selling the truck so I don't want to add all these fancy accessories to it for nothing.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Hey guys, I got to thinkin', would anyone be interested in buying my whole HID retro kit? How does $460 shipped sound for everything including the Depo clear lens headlights. PM me if interested. Now I'm actually thinking about selling the truck so I don't want to add all these fancy accessories to it for nothing.
Pictures of everything? What exactly is it? I guess I'll have to go back and read the rest of the thread...
Old 12-25-2006, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
Pictures of everything? What exactly is it? I guess I'll have to go back and read the rest of the thread...
I replied to your pm. You're in luck, I found a wiring harness you can use with this kit. So that's pretty much everything you need right there. Everything is in excellent condition.

Includes:

2- OEM HID Ballats w/ Ignitors
2- Philips 4300k Bulbs
2- E46 Xenon Projectors w/ bulb holders
1- Wiring Harness
2- Depo Clear Lens Sport Headlights w/ mounting brackets

Here are some pics:

Full Kit:

Front Shot:

Back Shot (the red part of the projector is how they all come, not rust. Projectors are flawless):

These are the bulbs:

Or if you guys wanna do it fast, I have a couple pairs of 9004/9007 HID bulbs. You can also use these in the high beams if you want. I have an extra set of ballasts. One pair of bulbs is 5000k (crystal white) and I believe the other is 6000K (bluish-white).