Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What do y'all think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do y'all think?

Hi everyone. I'm a soldier currently deployed in Afganistan. I have a 2001 3500 4x4 quad cab 4.10 rear end that I purchased in December of 2006. It currently has 210,000 miles on it. I have installed an Edge Drag Comp box, a 5" cat-back staight exhaust into a 6" tip, with a K&N air filter shoved on the front of the turbo (I know, shouldn't have done that). The truck was getting a little run-down towards my time to deploy, but I have already ordered the parts to fix the current problems. Ball joints, a tie-rod, and u-joints on the front drive shaft. I have also ordered some performance up-grades and was wondering if I was headed in the right direction. I ordered an AFE Stage 2 intake system, a 100 GPH Raptor fuel pump, a set of Stage 3 100 HP injectors from Cyclone Diesel Performance, an AFE Blade Runner intake elbow, and I have already gotten with a local shop that is going to rebuild my Holset 35 and upgrade it to a 40mm compressor wheel with ball bearings. I would just like to know if I'm headed in the right direction, the right order, and if there is anything I'm missing. My goal is around 650HP when all said and done with better fuel economy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:07 AM

if your goal is anything over 450 I would look at saving your money on the turbo rebuild and look at twins. you will need bigger sticks too. do you have gauges? also whats up with your tranny. need to make sure you address this before you put to much go fast and black parts on it.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:04 PM

I have a fuel preasure gauge and that's it so far. I have ordered the EGT gauge. Thinking of adding a boost gauge as well. I have the nv5600 transmission with a Southern Customs clutch rated and 500 HP and 1000 Ft. Lbs tq. Not sure what the tranny can handle, but if upgrades are needed i can do that. I don't know if i will be able to afford twins. Most set ups I have seen are around 4k to 5k. I'm a soldier after all. I also do not know what a "stick" is.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by ReaperKY
I have a fuel preasure gauge and that's it so far. I have ordered the EGT gauge. Thinking of adding a boost gauge as well. I have the nv5600 transmission with a Southern Customs clutch rated and 500 HP and 1000 Ft. Lbs tq. Not sure what the tranny can handle, but if upgrades are needed i can do that. I don't know if i will be able to afford twins. Most set ups I have seen are around 4k to 5k. I'm a soldier after all. I also do not know what a "stick" is.
sticks are injectors
you really should get some gauges first. need to stress the fuel pressure gauge. to help keep your vp-44 injection pump alive. bottom line is if you add to much fuel and timing and not enough air or air and the right time of rpm. you will get alot of smoke, not much take off high egt's etc. there are alot of tuned turbos or twins out there for pretty much most people. and most people on what they are using the truck for. your not going to be using 500-600 hp and towing heavy. you will never be towing in the rpm range in those HP numbers. you need to just find out realistic wise what you really can afford and what to do. you wont see those hight HP numbers with small sticks. (injectors) you wont see those numbers without alot of air. bigger turbo, or twins. if you go with a bigger single turbo and go to big it will spool really slow. (alot of smoke and heat) and your driving will not be fun. go with one bigger than stock and good spooling. you will have good spool good mid range and not have much up top for air and cooling. that is where twins come in. Yes i know you said you are a Soldier, and I know how much money they make. I was in the Marines are a couple years. (save your money) do it right the first time. learn from others mistakes so you dont have to double buy parts. good luck
Old 12-19-2010, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the info. I do have 100 HP injectors ordered. I'm an Apache mechanic in the army and I have aquired a turbo that was ment for a different much larger cat engine. A few of my buddies wanted to experiment with it and manufacture tubing and mounts to turn my existing turbo and that one into a compound set up. I already have a fuel psi gauge and running around 14 psi right now.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:49 PM

arp studs for the head are good insurance also
Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you've already rebuilt the turbo or made it an Hx40 do some research on adding an S300 to it. This will possibly allow you to keep this turbo and only add one to have a twins setup. I think it will only be good to about 550hp but could be wrong. I will also stress the need for a complete gauge set...FUEL PSI, temp, boost. On the sticks go w/quality not quantity as this will help in getting you the most hp w/lowest egts! Mach 4 would be my choice.