Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

what to do to upgrade my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what to do to upgrade my truck?

Well I have had my truck since it was new and have got about 92000 miles on it and have been through 2 lift pumps and a few sensors and I'm at the point to where I am ready to upgrade my truck. I'm kinda tired of the poor fuel mileage and the low power I 'm getting out of my truck. I'm a diesel mechanic and have been following these upgrades that everyone is doing to their trucks for sometime and its like I decide to do something and some other new products come out. So I decided that I need to ask the people who have been doing it to get some opinions. Heres what I was think of doing

1. complete fass fuel system tank to vp44
2. 4" exhaust from the turbo back "which one????"
3. fuel psi, boost, pyro gauges
4. 275 hp injectors
5. some type of fueling box "any suggestions?"
6. airaid cold air intake
7. turbo boost elbow

I'm not looking to go wild with my modes at this time but I think I got the basics down for later upgrades if I decide to get a little crazy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated !!!!!
Old 02-07-2004, 09:00 PM

I will take a stab at it; by the numbers.
1 Sounds good.
2 Depends on your wallet. Stainless would be the way to go.
3 Gauges are always a good idea.
4 RV275s or EDM Mach 1.5s to start with
5 Eadge Comp, it will be like an Edge EZ until you punch the wire. Then
6 Do this before number 4
7 You will get this with the Edge Comp.
Good luck with your project.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:05 PM

It sounds to me like you have it figured out. Those mods sound reasonable and should give you quite a kick. The box thing has driven me crazy for a while now, but being the research adict that I am I have pretty much narrowed it down to the edge EZ. I am doing the ez because if I put the comp on there I will toast the tranny and I can"t afford that right now. You may want to do the comp and may have more restraint than I do. Anyhow if you look at this site and listen to the guy's that have been doing the bombs. you will see that the edge products win out by popular vote. The other item that you will see around here alot is the Scotty 11 air box and the AFE. anyhow I am sure some more of the knowledgeables will chime in here.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:09 PM

I did forget one thing you will want to upgrade the stock clutch. With the mods you are going to do you will toast that clutch.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the input!!!

I had it narrowed down to the edge comp and the blue chip diesel f.m.s or blue a.p.b. ,but i see that most people are going with the edge and have good reviews.

Again thanks for the help anything I have missed please let me know!

Old 02-07-2004, 09:21 PM

8 clutch New I forgot something in my post!!

The clutch thing I have been thinking about and I am currently reviewing diffrent ones so I can get the best bang for the buck!!!!
Old 02-07-2004, 10:08 PM

Sounds like you are on the happy road to an empty wallet like the rest of us. I’m going to do injectors next (of the same size I recommended) and a better air filter. Then I’m done I hope. I tow so I need to keep it down some. I’d get out there and try to put a ricer in his place and forget I’ve got the camper hooked up and rip the king pin off the camper (that would ruin a vacation). Wifey would not be impressed.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:24 PM

yeah money or happiness???? I think happiness overcomes. I know I will keep saying I'm done but it will never happen I know how I AM. Let me know how your truck turns out after the injectors and air filter if you remember..

signed,

soon to be very broke !!!!!!
Old 02-07-2004, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by billg
I did forget one thing you will want to upgrade the stock clutch. With the mods you are going to do you will toast that clutch.
You may as well figure on this first. I'm getting ready to go to Forest City Diesel in three weeks to get a new SB installed. I'm afraid to even hook up to my GN cause mine is right on the edge of not hooking up at all. I'm hoping there is enough left to get me to Mo.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:08 PM

Hi Dieseldude
Hope you got enough clutch to make it to the VA Diner next Saturday. We need all those properly fueled trucks there. Really looking forward to putting some faces to these names.