Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What could i be missing???Twins question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:47 PM
BBA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What could i be missing???Twins question.

OK heres the deal I just installed a B2 steriod turbo and my stock hx-35. The instal went ok just took quite some time but its all worth it i thought. So here is the deal I can only make 12 pounds of boost! Its like i have a bad boost leak ( i did at the very beggining an dnow that one is pixed). I have checked my truck over for the leaks the best i can and nothing. Is there anything i should look for that i cant think of? This is my daily driver so i would really like to get this fixed pretty soon. I mean i can drive the truck it just really feels like a dog! Any help is appreciated!

Kevin
Old 09-23-2007, 10:00 PM

sounds like a bad boost leak....or the top turbo's wastegate need tweaked to lite up the primary.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Banned

I have never heard of a B2 steriod, what size is it? I have heard of a B2 (S400) and B1 Steriod though...
Old 09-23-2007, 10:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like your top wastegate is stuck open.

Do you get a LOT of smoke when you roll into it? High EGTs?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:43 AM

I had the same problem while I was installing my twins. It turned out to be a combination of a few things. First I had a few boost leaks, a few leaks in the hotpipe, and in my case the wastegate on the hx35 wasn't opening at all trying to force all the exhaust through the small charger. What is your drive pressure like? I hope you get this figured out.
Joe
Old 09-24-2007, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyric
.... and in my case the wastegate on the hx35 wasn't opening at all, trying to force all the exhaust through the small charger...... Joe
That would not cause very low boost, IMO. It should produce at least stock boost levels if that is happening.... unless there was air flow blockage through the primary.

A wastegate stuck open could cause poor performance at low speed but should feel more normal at WOT (well over 12 psi). Hot pipe leaks would produce lots of soot under the hood and should be easily spotted.

If your sure there is no boost leak (would have to be serious leak), I would look for poor air flow??

JMO - RJ
Old 09-24-2007, 11:29 AM

What is the A/R on the exhaust housing? How big is the turbine wheel. I tried a Garrett charger as a primary it had a 1.1 A/R turbine housing and I couldn't get that thing to make more than 10lbs of boost. No boost leaks in the system and with everythign else checked out. I discovered it had a huge turbine whell on it something over 4 inches (can't remember exact size). I also had a s400 on the bottom that I couldn't get to spool because it had a 1.33 A/R turbine housing. I don't know if this helps just something to check on.
Joe
Old 09-24-2007, 03:19 PM
The Guru

I vote for exhaust leak or cracked exhaust manifold. I hate exhaust leaks. It make my hood all black. Boost leaks, it would have to a really bad leak. You could hear the leak. The wastegate might be stuck full open and your just on the primary. If its stuck, its just takes for ever to light both turbos. It happens but laggy.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:09 PM
BBA

Originally Posted by Muddin_dude06
I have never heard of a B2 steriod, what size is it? I have heard of a B2 (S400) and B1 Steriod though...
Well im not 100% on turbos. This was one of my good friends(more knowledgable) he was running nealry this same setup except with a HY and the only reason he got rid of the B2 is because his truck is going back to stock.

I had a big boost leake and got it fixed and cant find anymore now? It has a Tier wastegate on it. I also dont know anything on this wastegate. So does this help anymore at all?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:14 PM
BBA

Oh yea i forgot to say but my EGT's are very high.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:26 PM

You didn't leave something in a pipe during install??
Old 09-24-2007, 06:34 PM
BBA

Originally Posted by graphitecumnz
You didn't leave something in a pipe during install??
No because afterwards i checked to make sure have have taken the pipes on and off many of times to try and see if i could find something.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:20 PM

Do you have any pictures of your setup? Have you taken your wastegate lines off and used regulated air to watch where they open?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:52 PM
BBA

OK i think i have figured out the problem. I will know tomorrow because thats when i can get to it but i dont really know how to explain it right now. I have not seen where the wastgate is opening yet but that was my next step. Which is where the whole problem i think i have figured out is. I will try to explain it to the best of my knowledge. Ok the top turbo (stock Hx-35) there is the little piece on it like where the wastgate opens? It needs to be pushed one way to keep it closed. So we tacked it there and the genious that was helping us apparently had a few to many and said it need to be one way which in fact was wrong.So now i have to take the tack off and push it to the side it should have been on the first place............ok sorry i know that made no sense to yall but i tried. I will try and get some pictures tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by BBA
OK i think i have figured out the problem. I will know tomorrow because thats when i can get to it but i dont really know how to explain it right now. I have not seen where the wastgate is opening yet but that was my next step. Which is where the whole problem i think i have figured out is. I will try to explain it to the best of my knowledge. Ok the top turbo (stock Hx-35) there is the little piece on it like where the wastgate opens? It needs to be pushed one way to keep it closed. So we tacked it there and the genious that was helping us apparently had a few to many and said it need to be one way which in fact was wrong.So now i have to take the tack off and push it to the side it should have been on the first place............ok sorry i know that made no sense to yall but i tried. I will try and get some pictures tomorrow.
So he welded the wastegate wide open makes perfect sense. I hope you get it figured out.

Quick Reply: What could i be missing???Twins question.