Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

what are the consequences of this!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 02:47 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Re:what are the consequences of this!!

Katoom<br>The result of restraining metal and attempting to stop expansion and contraction during temperature changes is metal fatigue. Fatigue causes cracking much like the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds have a tendency to do. Which shows metal will move during heat cool cycles even if that means cracking to allow that movement. The success of the three-section exhaust manifold sold by ATS is a great illustration. The two expansion joints in this manifold eliminate the metal fatigue that causes cracking. <br><br>Edward
<br><br>Yes your right, but I dont see where you are trying to go with this unless your just being informative and again your right. The manifold cracks from the fast drop in temperature (hot to cold). The expansion joints eliminate the pulling. Does the ATS manifold leak at any time, motor hot or cold?
Old 07-19-2003, 04:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know you don't have a life when you sit on a message board all day and argue about what part will expand first when heated and how the rest of that part will be affected by a small hole in it. : After reading through 5 pages of mumbo jumbo, I have finally arrived at the answer to the original question(whatever that may be). The probe will eventually work itself out from the hole in the exhaust mainfold as it contracts/expands as it is heated up.
Old 07-19-2003, 05:21 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

Mumby-jumbo on this site??? Nah, can't be
Old 07-19-2003, 05:21 PM
Banned

Old 07-19-2003, 05:46 PM

Been changing ring gears for years. Must have been doing it the wrong way!!!
Old 07-19-2003, 07:48 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

This ain't one a them Austrailia things like the water swirlin' t'other way in the terlet is it?
Old 07-19-2003, 08:34 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

[quote author=Shovelhead link=board=7;threadid=16839;start=60#161885 date=1058662092]<br>This ain't one a them Austrailia things like the water swirlin' t'other way in the terlet is it? <br>[/quote]<br><br>Exactly. You finally figured it out. When you heat the water it swirls the other way.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:52 PM

Man, this thread has really gone down the toilet!!!
To answer the last question: Elementary my dear Watson. The size of the hole gets bigger or smaller depending on the size and the consistancy of the object(s) deposited therein. Then of course you have to factor in the heat factor of the deposited objects, the rotational speed of the liquid, whether it is the southern or northern hemisphere and you have your answer. No mumbo jumbo whatsoever.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if I can get the exhaust gas to swirl the other way, because of the Coriolis Effect, or some other undefined phenomenon, will that reduce my EGTs?
Old 07-19-2003, 09:21 PM

[quote author=thecatsfan link=board=7;threadid=16839;start=60#161904 date=1058666656]<br>So if I can get the exhaust gas to swirl the other way, because of the Coriolis Effect, or some other undefined phenomenon, will that reduce my EGTs? <br>[/quote]<br><br>Not necessarily. You first have to define a phenomenon before you can use for said purpose.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:59 AM
Banned

I have 3 words for yall. GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2003, 01:38 AM

KATOOM <br>Yes your right, but I dont see where you are trying to go with this unless your just being informative and again your right. The manifold cracks from the fast drop in temperature (hot to cold). The expansion joints eliminate the pulling. Does the ATS manifold leak at any time, motor hot or cold?<br>
<br><br>Katoom <br>The expansion joints have never leaked on my ATS exhaust manifold. The engineering and quality is second to none. If someone were to ask me if I had it to do over again would I buy another one? The answer would be, darn right I would.<br><br>Edward<br>
Old 07-20-2003, 10:13 AM

We all agree heat expands. where (or what relative direction) the material (exhaust manifold in this case) expands is dependent on the mechanical structure, which is complex for a cast manifold. That means that where the hole is drilled may make a difference as well. <br><br>Consider the sponge analogy presented earlier. If you have a flat, dry sponge, and punch a hole in it, the entire sponge will expand when wetted, including the hole. Repeat the test with the sponge restrained on all four sides, and the hole will get smaller when the sponge is wetted.<br><br>If you're really bored, go drill a few holes in your manifold, and measure the diameters hot and cold. Don't forget to plug 'em up when you're done. <br><br>And besides that, there's Murphy's law which means that it's gonna blow outta there anyway, hot or cold. The simplest solution is to install the probe properly in the first place! <br><br>
Old 07-20-2003, 12:08 PM

That is why they heat electric motor spindle bearings so they will slide into position when rebuilding the motor. Same principle with metal in manifold. Here is food for thought, I designed a maching fixture for a cnc tapping center and the location pins I put in the pallet I froze in liquid nitrogen and they dropped right in, when they again reached ambient temp they would never come out again!