Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

what are the consequences of this!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:what are the consequences of this!!

I'm thinking we can all agree on one thing here, that durned hole is either gonna get bigger or smaller, it ain't gonna stay the same size . I also know that my tools also shrink when cold, not that that means anything ;D . Now, lets see who wins cause I know the answer but i'm not going to say.. na na...<br><br>Duane W.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:51 PM
Chapter President

I think we should change the name of this web site to Diesel Engineering, Science,Resource and debate. DESRD.com <br><br>just wait till the durn thing falls out, buy a new 3 piece manifold, then you will have the chance to reinstall the probe correctly. OR-- use J.B.Weld ;D
Old 07-09-2003, 05:33 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

Dont forget the C for comedians. <br><br>
Old 07-10-2003, 07:19 PM

This has all been very interesting to me. I have been in the maintenance industry for the last 30 years and have installed numerous couplings and gears. They were anywhere from the same size to a few thousanths tight. We always heated the coupling or gear and put a little never-sieze on the shaft and everything fit just fine. I have never heard of shrinking the gear and heating the shaft.<br><br>Barry
Old 07-13-2003, 10:25 AM

Today on Two Guys Garage, they were installling a ring &amp; pinion in a rear end. They had an innovative way to heat the bearing that goes on the pinion: They placed it on the griddle of a waffle iron!! Pretty 8) Never would have thought of that. Wonder what my wife would say if I wanted to take the griddle out to the garage and heat stuff with it? (&quot;Buy your own!!&quot; would be the most likely response).
Old 07-13-2003, 11:10 AM
Chapter President

Wonder what my wife would say if I wanted to take the griddle out to the garage and heat stuff with it?
<br><br>mine would kill me, as she uses it very often. Waffles are the only non-healthy food that she eats.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:47 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Well I have never seen somebody successfully heating the shaft and cooling the gear to put that stuff together. But what do I know ???<br>Over here in the more primitive regions we usually heat the gear and cool the shaft. <br>I think that putting the probe in without a compression fitting is rather bad even if you press or shrink it in because a: the probe will be crimped by the short portion it is compressed and b: because there's no fitting the probe will work loose due to the differences in expansion factors not taken up by the elasticity of the compression fitting. <br>Just my 2c <br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 07-13-2003, 04:13 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

Gary is on the right track. It seems to me that in this argument, sorry, discussion, that there is a little mixing of oranges and apples. Expansion and contration DO work differently when applied to a flat surface (orange) as opposed to a cylindrical surface.(apple)<br>For things like bearings on shafts or ring gears on flywheels the part that goes OVER is always heated (expanded) and the part the goes INSIDE (ie a shaft) is always cooled (contracted)<br>Now, as Gary stated, when you have a cylindrical object and bore a hole in it, then the physics behave a little differently. Sure, the cylinder grows larger in diameter when heated, and longer in length, but a hole somewhere in the middle gets smaller in diameter.<br>Hope this helps to clarify things a little.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:41 PM

&quot;For things like bearings on shafts or ring gears on flywheels the part that goes OVER is always heated (expanded) and the part the goes INSIDE (ie a shaft) is always cooled (contracted)&quot;<br><br>Mextan<br><br>That sums it up perfectly. Heat the hole and cool what is going in it. When shrink fitting aircraft components we put the object with the hole in the oven and the piece going in it in dry ice or liquid nitrogen.<br>
Old 07-13-2003, 04:42 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Mexstan: As I read Gary he points out that the behaviour will be the same whether rolled up to a cylinder or not. <br>I do not think that physics will work differently. <br>Some factors that can change the actual behaviour from out theoretical musings are that we talk about a cylinder that is not connected to anything that may have different thermal behaviour and we assume a homogenous heating of the object. <br>What we'll see in reality is that the exhaust manifold is bolted to the cyl. head on the one side and to the turbo on the other side and is nowhere near the same temperature throughout the casting.<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 07-13-2003, 05:51 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

AlpineRAM, now we are really getting technical, but you are right. In something like an exhaust manifold the temps are all over the place. Something I neglected to mention was that the mass of an object can change to some extent what happens to a hole near the middle. But now we are getting way too theoretical and who cares anyway. (except you picky engineering types reading this)
Old 07-13-2003, 06:18 PM

What was the origional topic?
Old 07-14-2003, 01:36 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

OK PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY!!! I never said to heat the shaft and cool the gear. If you think I did then show me a quote. Read all the responses before you add your opinion or info. <br>Now to whomever who thinks they cant get their point across without being rude... All I'm saying is I understand the principals of expansion. If you havent seen a crack in a manifold shrink when the engine is hot well then I can see where you would disagree with me. I dont really understand why this happens except for the fact that maybe the manifold is bound to the motor which doesnt allow the same means of expansion that a non-bound piece of metal would normaly see? Maybe the fact that the manifold is hollow means it doesnt expand like something without voids in it? If everything just got simply bigger when hot then how simple engine building would be. Why worry about tolerances anymore? Please no one quote me on that.

Quick Reply: what are the consequences of this!!