Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

what are the consequences of this!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 09:40 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Re:what are the consequences of this!!

I can visualize how under specific, controlled conditions that MIGHT work on a gear/shaft situation
<br><br>You are saying what you said earlier is wrong?<br><br>
YES, by ALL means, you WOULD heat the gear to gain a better fit over the shaft!
<br><br>I believe this topic is about a hole not a gear.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:58 PM

Man you seem to get all worked up about silly stuff. And like I said earlier, the topic is about a hole in the manifold not a gear. The theory is that the hole will enclose with heat not enlarge. You follow me? <br><br>And if you're implying that by cooling the gear the center will get smaller, than your right. capeesh? <br>
Old 07-08-2003, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok....<br><br>Gary, when you install a gear on a shaft with a tight fit, heat the gear and freeze the shaft.<br><br>Katoom, when you install a gear on a shaft with a tight fit, freeze the gear and heat the shaft.<br><br>Note: One of these methods won't work. One of these methods will indeed make the assembly impossible to put together. I, from experience, know which one works.<br><br>Flame off.....<br> &gt;
Old 07-08-2003, 10:28 PM

Try this link: Thermal Expansion
Old 07-08-2003, 11:34 PM

Gary, when you install a gear on a shaft with a tight fit, heat the gear and freeze the shaft.<br><br>Katoom, when you install a gear on a shaft with a tight fit, freeze the gear and heat the shaft.<br><br>Note: One of these methods won't work. One of these methods will indeed make the assembly impossible to put together. I, from experience, know which one works.
<br><br>Woooooa here, look back. I never said this. I said the same as Gary. <br><br>
Now, indulge me here a bit - I'm gettin' old and sorta senile, but are you saying the hole in a heated GEAR would get LARGER - but a hole in a heated manifold would get SMALLER?
<br>YES. Like I said before, its like adding water to a sponge. The reason the gear gets bigger is because the metal is expanding. Becoming larger if you must. The reason the hole in the manifold is getting smaller is because the manifold is getting larger forcing the hole to close. Its the same reason that if you have a crack in your exhaust manifold the leak gets less when your motor is hot.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:28 AM

[quote author=hotdram link=board=7;threadid=16839;start=0#157889 date=1057712637]<br><br>Two dis-similar metals heated to the same temperature will expand to different dimensions (and in different directions) due to their different CTE's.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>I'll stick with this one, having played with LIN here and there. :
Old 07-09-2003, 07:53 AM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! im just gonna tell him he's fine w/ his hole
Old 07-09-2003, 08:05 AM

;D I've been in maintenance for over 10 years. This argument always comes up. Here is the solution we have came up with to solve this discussion. Men get naked go into the shower with the water on warm. Then turn the water to ice cold and look down. You will have your answer, regarding heat and cold
Old 07-09-2003, 08:32 AM

Keep it simple, The hole is going to both expand and contract. Over time the probe is going to get loose, and fall out. Also where did all his shavings go from drilling that small hole? I would guess he could not get a magnet in to fish out the particles. Where did he get the probe? They should have also sold him the 1/8 or 1/4 MNPT to compression/swage fitting, along with instuctions on how to install.<br><br>Ken
Old 07-09-2003, 08:38 AM

he said he DID get the tap and didn't see the point in drilling that big of a hole..didn't ask about the shavings though....i wonder if the egt's are the same w/o the tap??? i remember reading when i installed mine that the tap was set to &quot;ambient outside temperature&quot; or something on those lines :
Old 07-09-2003, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fell through the ice on a frozen lake once and all I can say is that sure made some things shrink. <br><br>I agree with Kenny, both the hole in the manifold and the probe are going to go through cycles of expansion and contraction. (Don't care to argue when and why) At some point, the probe will get loose. <br><br>There is no way in the world I would leave the probe in the truck that way. But some people are happy with Duct Tape and Band-aids. :

Quick Reply: what are the consequences of this!!