Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What can you guys tell me about this??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
I had the same symptoms from bad power steering fluid. Took me a while to find, thought it was my holley blue but even removing it from the frame rail and placing it on a block that didn't touch the frame did not stop the vibrations.

A little later my PS reservoir started to puke. The fluid was really ugly, black and smelling burnt.

HTH

AlpineRAM
This could be part of my problem the steering box has been leaking a little but it still doesn't explain the drop in fuel press that is bouncing all over the place, except like J Lent said "a bad LP"

Is there a good replacement steering box out there or should I just replace it with another factory one?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:18 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
On mine the fuel pressure will bounce as long as the grid heaters cycle. (Mechanical gage)- but it won't drop below 10 psi.
Also all aftermarket electrical gages seem to be influenced by the grid heaters as long as they don't have extremely good grounds and supply.

I'm running my holley blue at the frame rail and no other pump. I found the fuel pressure sufficient, especially since I do have the wildcat big line kit from the fuel filter to the pump and 10mm id rubber hose for all piping between the holley and the fuel filter. I had to grind the spring and shim it to achieve a pressure to my liking (17 psi idle, 14 WOT)- measured at the VP44 intake.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 11-25-2007, 10:52 AM

I had to grind the spring and shim it to achieve a pressure to my liking (17 psi idle, 14 WOT)- measured at the VP44 intake.

HTH

AlpineRAM[/QUOTE]

Could you explain a little more what you mean by this and how you did it.

Thank you,

Chris
Old 11-25-2007, 11:15 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
There is a pressure regulator in the holley blue- which uses a spring. I had the problem that I got fluctuations, so I removed the spring and lengthened it to get the desired pressure- but this increased the fluctuations. I found that by shortening the spring and at the same time inserting a washer behind the spring the pressure regulator will not open fully as easily as with the stock spring while still beginning to open at the set pressure. Mine started to open at 19 psi (after stretching the spring) but would then drop the pressure to about 10 psi, and go back up etc..
After grinding off a bit of the spring and inserting a washer it is almost rock solid. My theory is that diue to the incompressible part (washer) the spring got more progressive than it was before.
The spring is behind the one big screw on the pump. (Take care when unmounting, A the parts will fly due to spring load and B this is the lowest point of the fuel system and there is a lot of fuel on the ground, in your trousers etc if you don't block fuel flow to the pump before you open the regulator )

AlpineRAM
Old 11-25-2007, 11:40 AM

easyest way to solve that is run the pump backwards (hook it up backwards) pumps fuel from filter back to tank
Old 11-25-2007, 07:33 PM

Well I guess I could give this a try ..............or I'll just pick up another Holley and put it in line with the one that is already there.

Thoughts doing that??