Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What am I looking for in an injector?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What am I looking for in an injector?

I have some +80hp's in now. Knowing the previous owner, they're good quality stuff. I wanna jump up to 150-160's but I have no clue what I'm actually looking for. I'm still learning everything since I didn't grow up around diesel stuff. I've seen some terms thrown around and I don't know what some of it means. Any help or recommendations would help A LOT. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:11 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
There are a lot of injectors around, and there seems to be some confusion.
First, there is the rating. Some manufacturers claim xxx hp over stock, but do not state what other mods have been done- so the xxx hp injector from one company can be the same flow rate as an yyy injector from somebody else. If you look at the dyno results from guys running the same turbo and box you have you will get an idea of how much this or that injector is going to do for you.
There is much more than just flow rate to an injector- the atomisation and the spray pattern and geometry do play a very important role. Let's assume that you use a drill bit on your injector holes and double their diameter- we have 4 times the area, and now this injector is 4x215=860hp, meaning 645hp over stock (Just kidding!!) - only like this the injector will only help you either keep your engine from firing for good or, if you get it running, to belch smoke and melt the engine.
The difference in atomization can partially be countered by timing, meaning that worse atomization can be countered by earlier timing- so EGTs seem to be in check, but this will increase piston temp, and BMEP, so this is bad for your head gasket.
In my opinion the Mach series by DonM is really great, offers low smoke and good power, and manageable EGTs.
If you go for bigger injectors you will need head studs IMO, and may need a bigger (or a second) turbo. (I assume you want more power, not more smoke or more melted pistons)

I'm running Mach3s for more than 140 k miles now, and must say that I have no increase in smoke, no starting troubles etc, and my truck gets smogged once a year. The results are the same since I installed the injectors, this leads me to believe that the injectors have not worn out like the stock injectors did and do on my friends' trucks. (We see a consistant rise of the particulate matter under the same testing procedures with their trucks)

I can not comment on other manufacturers than DonM and Cummins (RV275 inj) because I could not test those to the extent I tested the M3s and the RV275s.

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM
Old 10-27-2008, 02:59 PM

Wow. Thanks. I've checked out the Mach's and they were one of the ones I had narrowed it down to. Anyone else wanna chime in?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:26 PM

I have been trying to decide which injectors to go with also and all roads have led me to mach 4's
Old 10-27-2008, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Flatbed24v
I have been trying to decide which injectors to go with also and all roads have led me to mach 4's
Go with the Mach 4,from someone who had BD 90's,then Mach1.5's and now the 4's---LOVE EM,pretty much the largest or close you can run with the VP 44.Last size i'll ever buy---LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE(S)----DW
Old 10-28-2008, 07:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DWeiler, what turbo are you running w/the M4s? Tow anything? Just wondering how hot they get? thanks.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by high bid
DWeiler, what turbo are you running w/the M4s? Tow anything? Just wondering how hot they get? thanks.
B1-2--14cm housing wastegated at 40PSI---flavor at the time when i bought it ,now there is many more options,probable better turbos out here but this works till i pull the trigger on the BD towing twins ----one day.I can and have towed my 11k fiver around some fairly decent hills/mountain, it can be done.Usually i run the Smarty on #3 and run at about 65MPH,if it gets to hot i drop a gear and run the hill in 5th.When i'm pulling less weight(quad trailer) up to my vacation property with about 5000lbs of landscaping supplies i can run all day on level #9 and don't have to down shift for any hill---but i can hit around 1400 degrees at times if i mash the go petal,but don't stay there for more than a second or two.Plan on getting more air if you want to step up to the 4's,just to be safe,All these add on's in my sig help reduce EGT bit by bit(ATS 3 piece manifold/upgraded intercooler/intake)every little bit helps me run cooler and cooler.If you don't want to add a turbo---run some Mach1.6 and a fueling box(smarty/comp/quad ect)---nice little combo and wakes the truck up pretty good---My 2-cents DW
Old 10-29-2008, 11:41 PM

matt the only ones I would even consider putting in would be made by formula one (don m) which is what I run or dynomite diesel injectors. the others I wouldnt mess with you wouldnt be getting a good product I dont think
Old 10-29-2008, 11:44 PM

I know you were looking at the ones that jim builds and he really does know his stuff without a doubt. but these companies are huge and have the ability to build the best stuff out there and can flow test their products, you can ask around but F1 and DDP injectors are in the top majority of the top trucks out there
Old 11-06-2008, 02:44 PM

He said he did a lot of testing on them.. I'm gonna try to find someone that has a set and see what they think about them.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:46 PM

i havent had any problems with my bully dog 150hp injectors. 2years
just remember you cant turn off or adjust injectors. there not like a box or programmer.
too big and your hot towing and smoke alot.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:28 PM

I'm trying to go with bigger injectors to get the power to be easier on my new VP44.