Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Well look at my sig.. I think its official i have lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well look at my sig.. I think its official i have lots of questions

I now have much more air for my ride

I was able to acquire from a real good friend a set of RIPS twins for a very fair deal, and they are about to go into my ride within the next two weeks. Yes the sigs been updated.. i can hardly wait for them to get in..

I will have the twins set at the minimum, although i do have a marine gasket and studs waitin for a whole other rainy day (christmas break is three weeks down here) now ive gotta ask..

First of all, what sets of instructions are available? i have already printed up RIPS twins instructions, and I have also printed up the BD instructions which are very good mind u..

Second of all what advice do you guys have for installing these twins? Is it pretty much a straight forward installation?

Third of all, im worried about these bolts bein pretty rustied in, Truck has 185K on it and im afraid some of these bolts will be a doozie to knock off, any advice or just WD 40 them loose?

Fourth, will i have to knock off the whole four inch exhaust?

and finally, at about 50 psi (will set at 65 psi somehow when i get studs and a marine over gasket in there) how much power will i make with my current setup?

100 plate (0 plate in the toolbox)
16.5 degrees
181 DV's (not for long)
370 marines
Full forward plate, AFC and Starwheel

PS on concern, i dont know if my wastegate is busted or not, im running it again, and i can hit 38 psi with the wastegate enabled, should i lower the wastegate setting? or leave it at stock for now, I know rips kit has pop off valves

I also need to order some silicone hose, and some more clamps, whats the silicone hose for?

Also in my case, if i have too much fuel for my setup, (wanna keep it at 48-50 psi max for now) can i just back off the fuel plate and starwheel and use that as an adjustment? I wanna be able to safely drive the truck with twins for a while on a stock gasket, I will Retorque my head tho...

ANY and all advice, tips and stuff is appreciated guys.. IM new to the twins world so help me out!

Thanks! and with Respect

Rick
Old 10-27-2006, 11:46 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sweet!

Try to keep that silly grin off your face at work, they may think you are doing something wrong
Old 10-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You lucky devil. Here I am scrapign for a tranny and your putting twins on. Some people have all the luck in the world. Congrats on the new job buddy.

As far your questions:

1. I think between the BD and RIPS instructions you oughta be able to figure out how to install them. I've never seen a set of rips twins so I can't comment on how they go in or what but I imagine it's a lot like the BD stuff. If your getting ALL of the parts from your buddy then it should be a bolt in deal. If they are still on his truck then take pics and notes as your pulling the stuff off. Might help.

2. About a week before I'd start soaking the bolts with PB blaster and letting it sit. Hit em up a couple of times a day at the beginning of the week and then the night before just lube the snot out of them. Should be no problem to bust loose. Especially with impact tools.

3. All you should have to remove is the down pipe.

4. Dunno on power cause I ain't a 12v guy but I'll put ya at 437.9hp and 995tq.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:56 AM

i would recommend PB blaster, kroil, or SeaFoams deep creap. They work much better for penetrating tough rusted on bolts than WD-40.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:48 PM

surprisingly enough the manifold bolts on my old 97' weren't too bad at all, other than the couple that broke off in the head & caused the problems in the first place, (manifold shrunk & broke 2 bolts off!), as for the exhaust you should be able to run a 4-5" reducer, may be easiest right behind the crossmember, & I would think it should be fairly easy to tune the twins to your liking with the plate & AFC, you may wanna give Chris (Signature600) a shout, I know he's messed around with the twins on his 95', he could tell ya all you need to know about dialing them in with the plate & such, good luck w/the install, wish you were a bit closer & I'd lend ya a hand, let us know how they turn out & PM me w/lots details, I've been considering throwing an S400 under the hybrid on my 01', keep us posted & congrats on the find, L8er, Dusty
Old 10-27-2006, 12:53 PM

The silicon hose is for the oil drain of the bottom turbo.
My manifold bolts came out easily with one day before treatment with PB
Rips set uses two blowoff valves. Set them at 50psi and you'll be good to go til you get your studs in.
5-4 reducer will be fine. No HP increase going to full 5

Enjoy!!
Old 10-27-2006, 12:55 PM

Are you getting the 14cm housing with the kit?? If so it will come with a new preset WG
Old 10-27-2006, 01:13 PM
Banned

he's just going to use his stock turbo on top.

what I would do is don't run your boost elbow or anything, and just run the factory wastegate as a straight connection... verify that the boost is in the low 20's before you tear everthing down, and you'll be good to go
Old 10-27-2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by bnold
Rips set uses two blowoff valves. Set them at 50psi and you'll be good to go til you get your studs in.

Enjoy!!
Blow off valves are OK for now, but they waste power an cause higher EGT's! Mine on the 95 were set at 60psi, and EGT's were CRAZY!!! You're still pushing all the fuel, and not getting any air...think about how that affects the EGT's

Instead of limiting boost ONLY with the pop-offs, I would pull the plate back until you can get the head glued on Then maybe adjust the pop-offs to get it down a couple psi...
It'll make for a much more enjoyable driving experience...not having to be worried about lifting the head Ask me how I know that one

This will all vary depending on how far you need to lower it to be happy...if you bolt it on and it's at 55psi, I'd leave it alone, and don't run it hard till the thermostat cyclyes. But if it's at 75+psi like my 95 was, I'd pull some fuel back out and then fine see where you are!

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing

what I would do is don't run your boost elbow or anything, and just run the factory wastegate as a straight connection... verify that the boost is in the low 20's before you tear everthing down, and you'll be good to go
That's what I would do!!!

I'm sure you need to run to the hardware to try and find something during the install...luckily I have most of a hardware in the shop

Do you have to drill a hole for the second drain, or does your's already have 2??

Chris
Old 10-27-2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dusty Ratcliff
I've been considering throwing an S400 under the hybrid on my 01', keep us posted & congrats on the find, L8er, Dusty
Let me know if you do...I may have something for ya

Chris
Old 10-27-2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing

Not sure

i know in 4th and third i cannot get boost much over the 20 psi mark before i have to shift, but in fifth gear it can soar to about 38 psi, need i adjust this thing still?

Rick
Old 10-27-2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by bnold

Enjoy!!
Im not gettin ur last statement...

NO HP increase goin to full 5? u mean exhaust right? PB blaster? ive never seen that down here, where can i find it?

Anyways i have a stock 14 cm exhaust housing (banks ) i never found another one for the truck or bothered to look, HOWEVER.. Later on when i get more fuel, studs, gasket, more timing, and a serious injector, i do forsee me throwing a SPS 62/14 over that S400

that should make for one mean 12V

Rick
Old 10-27-2006, 01:50 PM

You should be a able to find PB blaster at these places: Napa, autozone, O'reilly's, Pepboys, and Carquest. IMO it's much better than wd-40, the only thing we use wd40 for now is cleaning stainless.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by signature600

Do you have to drill a hole for the second drain, or does your's already have 2??

Chris
Umm

here is where im confused... drill a hole where? and to what? dont the silicone hose drain off to the floor? I know the BD twins drill a hole on the side of the oil pan. Im kinda hopin i dont have to do that...

Rick
Old 10-27-2006, 03:25 PM

[cough] more timing [cough]

but it's your head gasket

Quick Reply: Well look at my sig.. I think its official i have lots of questions