Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Well I reckon I broke a shaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I reckon I broke a shaft

It finally happened. Went to shift from 2nd to 3rd at WOT with the converter locked, and bam. It makes no noise in any gear, and I still have park, so I am guessing it sheared the input off clean in the converter... Gonna call Goerend soon I reckon and get a billet input on the way if that is the case. I was only about 3/4 mile from home so I just walked the rest of the way

Eric
Old 06-09-2007, 05:43 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have park. So, what happens if you try to put the truck in park while it's running?
Old 06-09-2007, 07:36 AM

Hmm,you know I keep thinking that this is what I should do when I put my parts in, I hope you didn't ruin the convertor.....
Old 06-09-2007, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635
It finally happened. Went to shift from 2nd to 3rd at WOT with the converter locked, and bam
I was going to PM you about whether you shift with the TC locked up or not and how hard it shifted. I guess I don't have to anymore. Sorry about your bad luck.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:20 AM

If I put the truck in park while it is running, it just goes right in like normal. Doesent make any grinding noises or anything. It doesent make any noise in any gear. Im pretty sure she snapped the input off. If the shaft broke off in the converter it shouldnt be too big of a deal. Just might have to send it back to Dave Goerend and let him either send me a new one, or clean the old one out. I dont really consider this bad luck. I knew it was coming, just didnt know when. I will get pics of the broken parts whenever I get her apart. As for the locked shifts. Yeah, I do locked shifts whenever I am playing around, and she finally let go. Cant believe it didnt let go on a hard launch at the drag strip. Would the tranny be making a lot of noise if the front pump was busted or anything? Im hoping to stick a new shaft in it, and be back on the road. I would like to go ahead and get a whole built tranny, but I dont really have the money for one with the billet I want. We will see what I do depending on how bad the damage is.

Eric
Old 06-09-2007, 09:09 AM

This is exactly why I bought a billet input from Dave last week, I was afraid I was going to break the stock one off. Right now I'm building up a new trans on a different case. Should be fun.

Eric, hopefully its a clean break and didn't wipe the front pump, that would just add extra cost to the job. Dave might recommend doing some updates while you have everthing apart, might want to ask him about it. I would at least look at your front and rear clutches while you have it apart.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:38 PM

Got everything out but the transmission. Gonna pull it tomorrow probably. I may end up with a built transmission with some billet, but we will have to see. I would really like to go ahead and get the whole deal since I am planning on it eventually anyway, but like I said. We will have to see what happens, and what all is broke. I knew it would break at one point or another, just wasnt sure how soon that would be. Guess I know now

Eric
Old 06-09-2007, 05:00 PM

Hey Eric,did you get a price yet? I'm thinking I am going to head this problem off by doing the input when I do my convertor and front drum. What would be the next weak link in the chain? Is there anything else that Dave has suggested you do? I new there was a reason I hesitated to install the lock up switch I new I would be tempted to use it all of the time! Let us know how you make out.....
Old 06-09-2007, 09:01 PM

Are you still at your listed hp? Please let us know what all was damaged, hopefully just the minimum!

Hi-jack:
Olee, sent you a question via your site earlier today, is that the best means of contact?
Old 06-10-2007, 12:47 AM

Billet shaft from Goerend is $650. I will have the tranny out tomorrow, and should know for sure what the damage is... I have $100 off of anything from HTS, so I may go ahead and get a laminated flexplate from suncoast while I am at it. I am going to talk to Dave and see what he thinks about some stuff.

My horsepower i feel is at the most 330 or so. I am running about 1.2 seconds quicker at the dragstrip now than I was when I made those numbers on the dyno, so surely that is 50hp?

Eric
Old 06-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Dang Eric,......very sorry to hear about your shaft! But, you are "talking to the choir" here! Believe me, I have broken a few myself here buddy so don't feel too badly! I agree with the what the other members have told you though about installing a better flexplate while the tranny is apart!
As you know, I have one from ATS but there are alot of the other tranny companies that sell them now. Eric, the stock flexplates are very weak and while you are in there you might as well get that done as well!

Are Jimmy and Seth going to help you with taking it out and all??

Take care and good luck Eric. Hope to see you at Clay City next weeeknd.

--------
John_P
Old 06-10-2007, 01:21 PM

yeah, I am sure you have broken a few things yourself John I think I will go ahead and do a flexplate while my transmission is apart. I guess I will get the suncoast laminated flexplate since I can get $100 off of one.

As for taking it out, I already have everything but the transmission out. Got the driveshafts, T-Case, crossmember, and vacuum lines off yesterday. Gonna try to take off the lines, unbolt the converter, undo all the linkages and get the transmission out today if I can. I did call Jimmy to try to get his transmission jack if he isnt using it. I guess maybe he was busy, so I left him a message, but I have some buddies that will probably help me put it back together. I have done about 3 transmissions by myself though, so I guess i can do it again if I have to I am just glad to have someone like Jimmy close who is nice enough to loan out his jack. I have borrowed it more than a few times.

I should still be at Clay City next weekend even if I am not in my truck John, but hopefully I can get it together, put the new delivery valves in and make a few passes. Might even be able to leave with a little more boost

As for now I am still hoping all I need is an input, but hopefully I can get it the rest of the way out today and order some parts soon.

Eric
Old 06-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Chapter President

Ouch Eric, I take a Saturday off and you go and break a shaft in your tranny. Hope you get it fixed up soon.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635
yeah, I am sure you have broken a few things yourself John I think I will go ahead and do a flexplate while my transmission is apart. I guess I will get the suncoast laminated flexplate since I can get $100 off of one.

As for taking it out, I already have everything but the transmission out. Got the driveshafts, T-Case, crossmember, and vacuum lines off yesterday. Gonna try to take off the lines, unbolt the converter, undo all the linkages and get the transmission out today if I can. I did call Jimmy to try to get his transmission jack if he isnt using it. I guess maybe he was busy, so I left him a message, but I have some buddies that will probably help me put it back together. I have done about 3 transmissions by myself though, so I guess i can do it again if I have to I am just glad to have someone like Jimmy close who is nice enough to loan out his jack. I have borrowed it more than a few times.

I should still be at Clay City next weekend even if I am not in my truck John, but hopefully I can get it together, put the new delivery valves in and make a few passes. Might even be able to leave with a little more boost

As for now I am still hoping all I need is an input, but hopefully I can get it the rest of the way out today and order some parts soon.

Eric
-------------
Sounds good Eric! Good luck on the R&R and hopefully we will see you at Clay City.

Take care buddy!

--------
John_P
Old 06-10-2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by haloman
Ouch Eric, I take a Saturday off and you go and break a shaft in your tranny. Hope you get it fixed up soon.
Dont count me out just yet. She might be runnin mid 14's if I get it back together since with a billet input, and laminated flexplate, 15psi launches shouldnt be a problem, and it will have a little more fuel

Eric

Quick Reply: Well I reckon I broke a shaft