Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

well a change of thought.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well a change of thought.

I know my post count isnt very high, but I am on here alot and read every post that pertanes to my build, and am still a little lost.
You can see what my rig is about in my sig. But now My head will be ported and O ringed. ARP head studs and a stock gasket.
My question is, will a 62/14 be enough or am I asking to much? If my head does flo alot better I should be able to go with a larger inducer size, Like 66 with little problame. Am I right or should I stick with some thing abit smaller?
I had planned on picking up a turbo from another member, but with every one going larger I am afraid Ill regret it.

On another note I am also thinking of sticking with the stock one and see if I can break 500Hp. I think it was big blue that stated it may be possable. Maybe Im just crazy!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 07:13 AM

thanks for all the input.....

NOT!!!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 07:23 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Whoaa big boy, whooaaa! Not so quick!
You posed a rather difficult question- so the answer might as well take more than 12 hours.
I think that with a ported head you won't really need the bigger charger for the same horsepower because you'll get more air where it counts- into the cylinder.
Depending on how you intend to drive- and whether you tow or not etc I'd go for the smallest possible turbo to avoid lag and unnecessary smoke. If you tow heavy frequently it gets a PIA to have a bazillion of horses and only using half a dozen because you overheat egt-wise.
I'd consider twins in your situation too- since you've already got the o-rings and the studs you can go up with the boost a good bit and twins would offer you low backpressure, decent spool and lower egts over a big single.
The ported head would also work well with a good cam. (eg Helix2) and a rather small charger, but I'd discuss this with DonM.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 02-15-2007, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the input AR.
I figured if I rattled the cage someone would respond.

This is a difficult question, and this is why I brought to you all. Now The type of driving I do is mostly in Chicago traffic, and the only towing I do is back and forth to trails with a 3500# trail rig and 1500# trailer.

I would love to do a set of twins but I have to budget between this truck and the heep. So twins are out.

I am wondering if I did the 62/14 If I can keep the temps manageable.
Black diesel has one that if I send him my 35 He'll sell me his 62/14 for $1000.
Its right in budget and I think close to what I'm looking for.

Just want to do it rite the first time......

Again thanks , and I am very good at rattling cages .......Jay......
Old 02-15-2007, 10:00 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
If you have a lot of city driving you'll hate any more lag than you already have. I'd try to get some more air into the cups with porting and would really consider a cam. I think that a set of twins with your stocker on top shoudn't be out of question- you can contact Rip Rook I think he's got a lot of the small parts needed for the homebuild. You can mod the HX35 by drilling the divider and also opening up the wastegate diameter and adding something like the megamouth or a plate to get better wastegate efficiency for your twins.
I think that anything short of a VG turbo wouldn't be satisfactory with your need for flexibility- in town driving and blasting up loooong slopes with 5000# on the trailer hitch...

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM
Old 02-15-2007, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by jaymo
Thanks for the input AR.
I figured if I rattled the cage someone would respond.

This is a difficult question, and this is why I brought to you all. Now The type of driving I do is mostly in Chicago traffic, and the only towing I do is back and forth to trails with a 3500# trail rig and 1500# trailer.

I would love to do a set of twins but I have to budget between this truck and the heep. So twins are out.

I am wondering if I did the 62/14 If I can keep the temps manageable.
Black diesel has one that if I send him my 35 He'll sell me his 62/14 for $1000.
Its right in budget and I think close to what I'm looking for.

Just want to do it rite the first time......

Again thanks , and I am very good at rattling cages .......Jay......

you could always go with the 62/14 from Blackdiesel and if you want more it can be upgraded by www.Htturbo.com.
i think this would be the smartest route.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Registered

whoa who said 1k? thought it was 1100?!
Old 02-15-2007, 06:26 PM

I cant read but either way This is the way I think I am going....

Besides whats $100 between dtr memberes....JK.......
Old 02-16-2007, 01:53 AM

Wait until Hohn picks up this thread- he has predicted that with the megamouth down pipe and a cam that 500 might be possible on a hx35

Originally Posted by dieselfan
you could always go with the 62/14 from Blackdiesel and if you want more it can be upgraded by www.Htturbo.com.
i think this would be the smartest route.
HTT wouldn't be a bad route if you wanted to upgrade the hx35- they'll make it a 35/40 for a few hundred bucks. But that sps62 is supposed to be a pretty sweet charger =P
Old 02-16-2007, 02:18 AM
Banned

you might as well go big from the start instead of wishing you would have later and then having to upgrade if you get an quick spool 66 it will have a 71mm back wheel that would be a good turbo and not be to laggy and as for your 500 hp on stock turbo more power to it doesent hurt to try anything I broke 400 on a 95 with stock injectors and stock turbo its fun to try