Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Well after 5 long years...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick, why do you think I keep modifying this beast?

Put some more miles on it this morning to class and it gets better with every mile. I passed a minivan and I went from 60-110mph in the time it took me to go around him. It's insane. And I haven't even cranked the TST all the way up. Definately notice the bigger turbo though. Now I understand what lag is. Still not bad though. Very easy to control the smoke. I can't believe how little throttle I have to use to get this thing rolling. I use almost none. I love it. And when going up hills the engine used to make all sorts of noise and struggle to make it. Not anymore. Boost just barely rises. It's great.

I saw some of the parts that came out of it. I wore all of the clutch material off of the second gear band, the third gear clutches were toasted and you could see a TON of hot spots on them, the you could see where the reverse drum had started scoring the overdrive. I was definately gonna be walking very soon.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Nick, why do you think I keep modifying this beast?

Put some more miles on it this morning to class and it gets better with every mile. I passed a minivan and I went from 60-110mph in the time it took me to go around him. It's insane. And I haven't even cranked the TST all the way up. Definately notice the bigger turbo though. Now I understand what lag is. Still not bad though. Very easy to control the smoke. I can't believe how little throttle I have to use to get this thing rolling. I use almost none. I love it. And when going up hills the engine used to make all sorts of noise and struggle to make it. Not anymore. Boost just barely rises. It's great.

I saw some of the parts that came out of it. I wore all of the clutch material off of the second gear band, the third gear clutches were toasted and you could see a TON of hot spots on them, the you could see where the reverse drum had started scoring the overdrive. I was definately gonna be walking very soon.
I do the same thing......dump a bunch of money into them but I still get bored....I have issues I know!!

So basically what you are saying is, the only thing left good on your tranny was the housing??

~Nick
Old 11-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Banned

Even that had 6 stripped bolt holes for the pan.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Banned

Even that had 6 stripped bolt holes for the pan.
NOW THAT IS FUNNY

~Nick
Old 11-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Banned

Hey, when I set out to do something I do it right.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Banned

So did having to replace all of that other stuff make it a lot more expensive? Also did your converter come out in pieces?? LOL

~Nick
Old 11-10-2006, 01:09 PM

Congrats BB. riding in a built auto is insane.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks yall. I can't describe the difference that it makes. It's unbelievable.
Let the bombing begin!
Old 11-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
So did having to replace all of that other stuff make it a lot more expensive? Also did your converter come out in pieces?? LOL

~Nick
Nah. Only raised the price about $200. The converter did come out in one piece surprisingly.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, the chile will be cold and in the fridge by the time you get here.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:32 PM

how much did this tranny upgrade cost ya?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
....I can't believe how little throttle I have to use to get this thing rolling. I use almost none. I love it. And when going up hills the engine used to make all sorts of noise and struggle to make it. Not anymore. Boost just barely rises. It's great.

I was like you and was overwhelmed by how much difference a good torque converter made in a 47re. You can read and read on the subject here, but until you drive one or make the change yourself it's just a little hard to believe. Someone posted once that their built trans was the best mod that they had ever done to the truck. Can't say that I disagree with that statement (of course it helps to have engine bombs to take advantage of being able to apply more low hp/torque). Just wait until you pull something with it. It's low rpm pull will bring a smile to your face for sure.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:49 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blue can't respond right now. He and rjohnson are on the way to Emory to hit the dyno. When they get back, Rowland will look at his sheet and question what caused what and do an in depth analysis. Tyler, on the other hand, will be squealing like a little girl..."My tranny this.....My tranny that"....I can hardly wait.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:30 AM

stupid 10 character limit
Chris
Old 11-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Banned

This tranny just keeps getting better and better the more I drive it. When I first got it it shifted great but was very tight. Now that it's got close to a 1000 miles on it it's loosened up a little bit and is really a pleasure to drive. Gotta watch the right foot though cause to much will make the smoke billow that's for sure. And yes I have been smoking a lot right now and yes I know the consequences but you try going without it for a month and see how you feel when you finally get to use it again.

P.S. Numbers are in my sig.

Quick Reply: Well after 5 long years...