Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Which way to go ????

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Which way to go ????

I need you guys to help me with a decision if you wouldn't mind. I installed the Drag Comp I bought and a set of Jammer Stage II injectors last night and I must say I am unbelievably happy. I do have a problem though, my boost gauge goes to 35 and I can max it out REAL QUICK. I am going to get a 60 psi gauge so I know for sure what the boost is but I am thinking it's more than the stock turbo is rated for. So I was wondering if you guys could steer me in the rite direction. I have been reading post after post on turbos and still need help. I see where some are running a single and seem happy while others are running twins and are just as happy. Some say you don't need twins while others say you do

Which way do I go, as of rite now I'm happy with my set up. I may at a later date upgrade the injectors but what I have now is PLENTY for my driving habits and what I use my truck for. Can you please give me some direction here as far as what I should do regarding the turbo and boost issue?? WHat do you recommend
Old 04-07-2005, 02:05 PM

first things first get a bigger boost gauge as you mentioned . then set a hp goal that you want to reach . this will help you better decide the turbo or turbos you need to get you then and keep you cool when you get there .
Old 04-07-2005, 03:44 PM

I don't think I will go much farther than what I have done to date other than possibly the injectors but who knows. Like I said this is more than enough for what I do with the truck. I don't tow very much anymore and I got enough get up and go for the freeway.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:00 PM
RCW

I agree with seabee about planning your power before making a move on your turbo. With 35 psi you are beyond the recommended pressure window of your OEM turbo by about 11 psi, but since you will only be running such pressures at full load, and that is seldom, the turbo will last quite a long time before it does any practical damage.

Since your mileage is up about where a turbo generally needs replacement anyway, it would not hurt to discuss your power goals and budget with a good diesel performance shop like Piers or Jennetty, or just about any of the good independent diesel guys. They can point you in the proper direction so you do not purchase a unit that falls short of your expectations.

Regarding dual turbos, that is an area that takes a significant amount of fueling and engine modifications to work well. Based on what you list, I do not see you anywhere near that level of modification until you have installed a good FASS dual filter and pump unit or Air Dog fuel preparator, and a performance injection pump; and a set of head studs and O-rings. I have my choices for dual turbo systems, but again that is predicated on how a rig is used and the owner's bank account. There are a lot of dual turbo systems installed that do not work as well as a single that is engineered for the engine, but the owners are happy because they know no differently.

Good luck, and you are asking the right kind of questions.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would give Paul a call at HTT (http://www.htturbo.com/) he should be able to help you make an informed decision. I've got one of his turbo and am very happy with it. Check out his web site there is a lot of good info on it.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:06 PM

I notice your sig shows gauges, the other one you may want to watch is your pyro because with that combo I eazilly hit 1600. I went with the twins at this stage because I knew I was only going to stay at this level long enough to build up the funds to continue (twins being by far the biggest expense in my BOMBing quest) However if you want to stay at your current level than a good single will be able to keep those EGTs in check.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:10 PM

Thanks guys, that's the kind of info I was looking for. I will be giving Paul a call tomorrow as well as a couple of others.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:25 AM

As long as you don't drag race, sled pull or dyno the truck you'll love what you're running. A larger turbo will give you better top end power and lower EGTs, but you will sacrifice a bit of spool up. I have a B1-2 on my truck and love it. I can get the EGTs up to 1500* with my Comp box maxed 5x5, but I don't drive it that way daily (unless provoked!)
Old 04-08-2005, 12:56 AM
Banned

everyone needs twins