Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

water meth pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water meth pros and cons

i have been thinking water meth might be an option when runing at the track . what are the real world pros and cons . does water meth hurt the reliablity of the engine .i want to use it for egt control mostly till i can get twins on the truck since im going to buy my sticks here soon and dont want to have to buy more than one set im looking at a set of like 155s but i know my egts are going to be out of hand if i run at the track with a hx35 and these sticks .
Old 04-28-2005, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same,Same here, with EGT problems. Snow's Kit helped me...with just H2O. Meth will add power and EGT's, and in my opinion may be living close to the edge in terms of overstressing the Cummins with serious cylinder pressures. Just not enough data out there for me to feel comfortable.

For my test results see 10/31/04 entry (11:41), on this thread, w/ and w/o H20 injection.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...0&pagenumber=2

Read the whole thread to answer most of your other questions on Meth injection kits..

RJ
Old 04-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Long term, I don't know. Jim Fulmer has been running it for a couple years now, makes sick power and it hasn't blown up yet that I'm aware of. The stuff is a real kick in the pants for sure. If you are after EGT control, stick with straight water, or water with 20% meth so you don't have freeze-up problems in winter. I'm running 50/50 and I love it.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:26 PM

Re: water meth pros and cons

Originally posted by seabee
i have been thinking water meth might be an option when runing at the track . what are the real world pros and cons . does water meth hurt the reliablity of the engine .i want to use it for egt control mostly till i can get twins on the truck since im going to buy my sticks here soon and dont want to have to buy more than one set im looking at a set of like 155s but i know my egts are going to be out of hand if i run at the track with a hx35 and these sticks .
Here's what I think are some of the cons.Methanol is very corrosive.When you inject it into the combustion chamber it will surely get by the rings and will get into the lubrication system.I did try it for a while,I found that while the system was working I noticed alot of water at the blow by tube,that made me uncomfortable a strong mixture of water and methanol in the crankcase.Too many unknowns for me to risk it.I do inject just distilled water for EGT controll on hot days no methanol in it.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:39 PM

well with all of this said i might just get a set of 100hp sticks then jump to like 200hp stick when i bolt on the twins . thanks guys
Old 04-29-2005, 04:32 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Re: Re: water meth pros and cons

Originally posted by Huff nPuff
Here's what I think are some of the cons.Methanol is very corrosive.When you inject it into the combustion chamber it will surely get by the rings and will get into the lubrication system.I did try it for a while,I found that while the system was working I noticed alot of water at the blow by tube,that made me uncomfortable a strong mixture of water and methanol in the crankcase.Too many unknowns for me to risk it.I do inject just distilled water for EGT controll on hot days no methanol in it.
I'm changing the oil next week and sending a sample to be analyzed. I'll let you know how it comes out.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:36 PM

Rust can be a prblem too.

I had rust where my injection lines sealed against the connector tubes.

Justin
Old 04-29-2005, 06:29 PM
Banned

Well darn! I was about to pull the trigger on a water/meth kit.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by justinp20012500
Rust can be a prblem too.
I had rust where my injection lines sealed against the connector tubes.
Justin
I don't understand this?
As long as you follow the 5 min rule this should not happen. After turning off the H2O injection...run motor for min of 5 minutes to clear out all Meth or water. I have never had a problem with mineral deposits, corrosion or rust.

Jim Fulmer, who has used the Snow's kit longer than anyone is the one who told me about the 5 min rule...and he has done more engine tear-downs than anyone I know...with no problems either!

RJ
Old 05-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
seabee:

I have a water/methanol injection system on my 1996 Dodge CTD Twin Turbo Truck. It has been on there for almost one year now. The other members are giving you some good advice.
I installed mine due to higher than desired exhaust gas temperatures. In that respect, I would say the systems work very, very well! I saw a three hundred (300) degree drop in my EGT's with using just the water. However, when I added about a 15% solution of methanol with the water I saw only a ten (10) horespower increase on the dyno. As the other members said, Jim Fulmer has done alot better than I did with the methanol.

DTR Member "Huff n Puff" brings up some very valid points about water injection. I also saw the water coming out my blow-by tube mixed with the oil like he did. Not to be gross or anyhting, but the stuff looked like snot! LOL! However, when I stopped using the water, that would clear up in about a day or so. I also saw the mild rust in the intake manifold just below the air horn. I didn't really believe that when I first heard it, but apparently it does happen.

In closing, I will continue to use mine for the reduction in the EGT's. That really was surprising
to me. But these other issues are valid points.

Good luck!

----------
John_P
Old 05-01-2005, 10:29 AM

where is the injection nozzle placement?
Old 05-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
1320:

I have my injection nozzles in the back of the air horn.

---------
John_P
Old 05-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Adminstrator-ess

50/50 Water/meth made 43 HP and 86 ft# of torque on my truck yesterday. It lowered EGT by 200 degrees, too. I'll let you guys know what the oil analysis shows as soon as I know.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by rjohnson
I don't understand this?
As long as you follow the 5 min rule this should not happen. After turning off the H2O injection...run motor for min of 5 minutes to clear out all Meth or water. I have never had a problem with mineral deposits, corrosion or rust.

Jim Fulmer, who has used the Snow's kit longer than anyone is the one who told me about the 5 min rule...and he has done more engine tear-downs than anyone I know...with no problems either!

RJ
Have you cracked open any lines since you have had the kit?

I had rust forming around where the injection line seals against the connector tube.

Justin
Old 05-02-2005, 12:23 PM

Yep, Changed injectors! Didn't notice anything...but was not looking for it either!

One thing I'm kind of obsessive about...I don't just idle it for 5 min., after using the injection system. I run it fairly hard down the road.

Don't know what others do, so I don't know if this action might make a difference??

RJ

Quick Reply: water meth pros and cons