Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Water/meth or nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about both? A shot of N2O for some power and a shot of water to keep it cool? Do you think this could work or am I just talking stupid?
Old 05-19-2006, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by red12valve
With the timing so high and the gsk my egt's go through the roof at wot. I don't really want to get a new turbo yet because my ps62 is only a couple months old. Do you think meth or nitrous would held keep my egt's in check? What would work best? What are the pro's and con's? Thanks for any help!

Common sense would tell me to go with the Nitrous, simply because the addition of nitrous is, as others have said, it's like liquid air injected into the engine. Yeah that's kinda true but the real story is the nitrous, in it's vapor phase will cool the intake charge making it more dense, also Nitrous is basically 2 Nitrogen molecules and 1 Oxygen molecule combined. When the nitrous reaches approximately 570 degrees (fahrenheit) the molecules split, basically giving you more "air" (oxygen) in the engine. That seems to me what you're looking for in your goal to reduce EGT's. Adding more air being the same as De-fueling the engine to cool it. Are you belching any black smoke since the upgrades? (indicating a 'rich' condition) That being said the level of cooling will depend on how big of a "shot" of Nitrous you choose. And now for the second edge of the sword. Dependent upon how big of a shot you run you could start putting in more fuel. ie: the more nitrous you shoot the more fuel you should inject as well, as long as EGT's are in check. But, Obviously there IS a limit! with TD's having an already high compression ratio, the nitrous will only raise that. So be careful!
BTW, you didn't state how you're gonna use the truck. Towing, sled pulling, foot through the floor driving, or counting daisies along the roadside!

Pros.
More power,
Cooler EGT's
Butt kickin' power!
Cons.
Initial cost
Installation
Bottle warmers
Remote bottle openers
Having the bottle in the way (maybe)
Bottle refills

Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:11 PM

I decided to go with water/meth injection. I am just going to run it on water for now and maybe some 50/50 on the dyno. For now I am very happy with the power I have but need it cooler, I think water will work the best for now. Just give me a couple of month...200 shot!!! Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know how the water goes.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:36 PM

How about both? A shot of N2O for some power and a shot of water to keep it cool? Do you think this could work or am I just talking stupid?
I've heard that this would probably work ,but then someone stated that the water may ice with the nitrous if it is injected at the wrong time.I dont know about that,anybody got any ideas?I would like to run nitrous and water,but no meth(or very minute amounts of meth) in the future after large injectors and twins.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a guy that runs a D-max at the track that has lifted the heads 3 times due to mixing N2O and H2O. The nitrous freezes the water.

You think he would have learned the first time!
Old 05-21-2006, 03:35 AM

Here's what is seemingly a really good idea. Although I'm sure it's more Hype than Horsepower!

And it really wouldn't be that hard to fab your own either.

http://www.designengineering.com/pro...asp?m=sc&cid=1

Murf

92 W250