Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Water/meth or nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water/meth or nitrous?

I just got my truck back from getting the head o-ringed, studded, 4k gsk, timing set, and valve springs. With the timing so high and the gsk my egt's go through the roof at wot. I don't really want to get a new turbo yet because my ps62 is only a couple months old. Do you think meth or nitrous would held keep my egt's in check? What would work best? What are the pro's and con's? Thanks for any help!
Old 05-18-2006, 07:34 PM

I'm running water/meth and I really like it. It reduces my temps by 175 degrees and helps keep the combustion chamber of your engine clean and soot free.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the meth would be easier on your new head gasket with all that timing.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:45 PM

What would you guys reccomend? A Snow stage 2?
Old 05-18-2006, 07:49 PM

I've got a stage three and like it, since you don't have to worry about messing with it while driving just my 2 cents
Old 05-18-2006, 07:50 PM

Is it worth the extra $200?
Old 05-18-2006, 08:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Everything I've heard points to the stage II for Cummins powered trucks. Wannadiesel has a better explanation as to why than I do, unfortunately. I plan to try my hand at a home brew setup.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by red12valve
Is it worth the extra $200?
My opinion yes. I used to not think so but I'm starting to grow used to it and like it alot.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:06 PM

Any draw backs to meth? The guy who did my h/g said nitrous was safer. He knows what he's talking about he has a 12 valve that runs 10.19 at 138 in the 1/4.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by red12valve
Any draw backs to meth? The guy who did my h/g said nitrous was safer. He knows what he's talking about he has a 12 valve that runs 10.19 at 138 in the 1/4.
It might build a little more cylinder presure, but I don't know how much. From what I've seen nitrous can have some negative effects on the turbo by over spooling it.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:45 PM

I believe you would be safer going with nos, because the water meth or even propane have a lower burning temp, and alot of people have a tendancy to believe that when the piston compreses the intake charge of air and water meth it's possible to ignites the meth before it's a TDC because of the lower temp it takes to ignite the meth,causing a combustion spike before the injector fires leading it to having more head gasket failures. While nos is just like having liquid air injected, and it wont ignite until the injector fires. Just a lil imput.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:02 PM

[QUOTE=dzlfarmboy]I believe you would be safer going with nos, because the water meth or even propane have a lower burning temp, and alot of people have a tendancy to believe that when the piston compreses the intake charge of air and water meth it's possible to ignites the meth before it's a TDC because of the lower temp it takes to ignite the meth,causing a combustion spike before the injector fires leading it to having more head gasket failures. While nos is just like having liquid air injected, and it wont ignite until the injector fires. Just a lil imput.[/QUOTE

I was leaning toward N2O, and I think this made up my mind! Thanks for all the great info!!!
Old 05-18-2006, 09:06 PM

[QUOTE=red12valve]
Originally Posted by dzlfarmboy
I believe you would be safer going with nos, because the water meth or even propane have a lower burning temp, and alot of people have a tendancy to believe that when the piston compreses the intake charge of air and water meth it's possible to ignites the meth before it's a TDC because of the lower temp it takes to ignite the meth,causing a combustion spike before the injector fires leading it to having more head gasket failures. While nos is just like having liquid air injected, and it wont ignite until the injector fires. Just a lil imput.[/QUOTE

I was leaning toward N2O, and I think this made up my mind! Thanks for all the great info!!!
Yup no problem just make sure your N2o is set up right with the selinoids and all.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was a post about this here or on TDR I forget.. but the consensus was that the tendancy for the meth to pre-ignite and the extra compression (thats where youre getting that HP boost) wasnt good for head gaskets. I think the poster also said even nitrous would be safer than water/meth due to the way it burns (?).
I like the idea of lowering the EGTs but I dont want to pop a head gasket.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:17 PM

If you're looking to cut EGTs then nitrous really isn't the answer you're looking for. My system nets me about 85 hp, and my temps barely drop vs. not having it on. You can run straight water through a water/meth kit to avoid the HG issues and can see over a 300 degree reduction in EGTs. IMO nitrous is easier on heads than water/meth (due to exactly what kawi600 posted), but water only would be way easier than both. If you're looking to make mega power, though, go N20 for sure.

Quick Reply: Water/meth or nitrous?