Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Water/Meth injection

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water/Meth injection

Hey Guys!

Is anyone using a water/meth injection system on a regualr basis?

I've been kicking around the idea of installing a system and need some pros and cons. I really don't want the system for a power increase although there will be a small increase in power. I'm more interested in using it while towing and probably towing only.

I'm happy where my truck is power and economy wise and really am not looking for an increase. I'm more concerned about keeping EGT's in check for those moments while hammering up a long hill/

Just curious on everyones thoughts, thanks!!

Jeff
Old 08-11-2005, 10:08 AM

Pro-

1. More power with water and meth.
2. EGT's cooler when only using water.
3. More POWER

Con-

1. Increased cylinder pressures, possibly cause of blown HG. (More with meth/water mix instead of just water)
2. System was high maintenance. I would burn 1.5 gallons of washer fluid going up a 4-mile hill. And that was with intermittent use.
3. Possible malfunction could cause hydra loc situation. (Been there done that)

Justin
Old 08-11-2005, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your having EGT problems when towing...it really helps. You can count on 200-400* drop easily and only need straight water...or 20% Meth. You will need the 8 gal larger bottle, mounted in the bed, for regular use. Use Distilled H2O only.

With the newer two stage regulator, there is a lot more flexibilty with the system. It does require a fair amount of set up trial & error to get it just right for your needs...as you have three possible adjustments...1-Pump pressure, 2-at what boost it starts injecting and 3-at what boost it revs up to full injection.

I bgt mine to control EGT's at the drag strip. It actually works better for long uphill towing situations because the EGT drop has to be induced by lightly reducing the throttle. Once the EGT's drop...they stay down, or climb back up very slowly.

When use carefully and respectfully...it's a good system. Will give you the results you need better than anything else I know.

RJ
Old 08-11-2005, 11:10 AM

Good product, but use at least a 15 gal tank it will last about 2-4 tank of fuel before it needs refilling. Also buy your methanol from a bulk station it comes in litre jugs, 25 litre pails and barrells, then mix your self to about 30 % meth and the rest water - for best cooling.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:52 PM

Thanks guys!

I was thinking about just using water only, because like I mentioned, I'm not really looking for a power increase. Obviously in the winter months, I would need to use a washer fluid or similar mix to keep it from freezing.
The system would be shut off most of the time because I only really want to use it while towing. I travel a fair bit between Calgary and the coast so running the passes and trying to get ahead of the slowpokes can put some heat into the old girl.

BOYDO........Are you going to be at NADP's little smoke show at Edmonton Raceway on the 27th of this month? I'd like to pick your brain a little more on this.

Jeff
Old 08-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I run it and I'm very happy with it. You can see the power gains in my sig, that was on 50/50 mix. I'm running 25% meth right now. I didn't notice an SOTP loss in power, and the EGT needle doesn't swing so fast. We'll see how it looks come dyno time in October.

From what I understand, when running straight water you cannot dump as much into the engine without having it bog down. A light percentage of meth (20 - 30%) lets you spray more into the engine and lower the EGT more than with straight water. I have not run mine on straight water, I like the extra power too much.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:05 AM

I've been running the Snow system for 2 years now and use it for towing. I've been beta testing varialbe controllers for Matt the whole time now, and managed to burn out a few before he finally came up with one which would hold up to 2 and 3 minute spray times.

Straight water doesn't work well as it tends to put out the flame. Windshield washer fluid works much better. I don't recommend using straight water.

My system does a good job of cooling things down. Brings temps down 2-300 degrees. It took quit a bit of experimentation to get the settings that work well. My goal was to run higher pump pressures with smaller jets to help atomize the mixture better. My pump is set at 250 psi max pressure and uses 1 625 jet. I think the pumps are set at a much lower pressure as Matt ships them. On the stage 2 system I set the start injection at 20 psi with max at 30 psi boost. 6 gallons will easily last 3-400 miles with this setup while towing in the moutains with my rig. One 625 jet will flow almost a gallon a minute at 300+ psi, but I don't know how much at 250 psi. The recommended 2 625 jets flow too much for towing at 250 psi pump pressure, and will probably put out the flame with anything less than a 50/50 meth/water mixture.

Right now I'm testing Snows new stage 3 controller, which is great for towing or performance. It has in cab adjustability, bar graphs for boost, egts and pump %, calculates off temps and boost, and starts the pump in at a lower voltage. Very smooth in water delivery and temperature control, and easy on consumption. The stage 3 controller puts a whole new aspect to water/meth injection and is far superior to the stage 2 controller.

Bart

Trending Topics

Old 08-12-2005, 01:47 AM

Thanks Bart, appreciate the input.

This injection system looks like the way to go. I had a feeling that having the system come on around 20 psi was the way to go. I only really want to use it at the higher end of performance when really pulling a hill at or close to max effort.

I've gone this far with mods to kep the EGT's down, might as well take the next step.

Thanks again.

Jeff
Old 08-12-2005, 08:02 AM

Homestead

If your still running a stock turbo and wastegating it to about 35 psi...you will want to have injection come on at around 20 psi boost. To do that you will at least need winterized washer fluid (20% Meth). No real power gain but it helps the mix burn..preventing quenching.

Took me a long time to get comfortable injecting Meth...concerned about cyl. pressures. I'm now convinced of two things...1-30% or less is not a big deal, 2- You can control EGT's a little better with some meth(as Wannadiesel said) because you can start injecting earlier...with the pump on max pressure.

2 625 jets (what comes with the 2 stage kit) do not kill the flame at max pressure, at least not on my setup....even with straight water....but I have to wait till 25 psi boost to start injecting.

I now buy 5 gal Meth racing fuel (more potent than the meth in washer fluid) and mix 25%. With this combo, I can initiate injection at 20 psi...with full flow at 35 psi. This is with pump at max pressure. Have not played with turning pump down, yet...but that may allow even earlier injection. Just have not made time to test it.

Light & switch would look sharp on your Rod Pod...I put mine on my A-pillar...see gallery.

You asked for negatives also...the only thing I would change is the adjustment dials on the stage II controlled. They seem to move a little over time (vibration, maybe) and are difficult to set accurately due to size & no needle indicating where you setting it. Clicks would suit me better.

Overall it's great, and I would buy it again.

RJ