Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Water/Meth Injection

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water/Meth Injection

Alright guys I know these topics have been dicussed before but I need a refresher. It seems like most of all the serious trucks out there are using some sort of liquid power adder. Whether it be the water/meth injection, nitrous, propane, or even a combination of the three. Now I know most use the water/meth or nitrous in place of an intercooler in sled pulling or drag racing.
The water/meth seems like it is the cheapest by quite a margin. Propane would be easier to get ahold of as far as refills go, and nitrous seems to offer the largest gains.
But what about the negatives, I've heard all three can be harmful on headgaskets, but are they really? Is it something to really be concerned with or just a precaution for continous use over the period of a long time?
I'm looking to install a set of twins soon and just to keep egts in check under serious conditions, ie sled pulling or drag racing, I was considering the water or nitrous. Not so much for the power gains but, like I said to keep the egts in check.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If you plan to run it mostly for EGT control, then you will be running mostly water. No worries about the head gasket until you start running over 30% meth. I run 50/50 but I don't have a lot of timing. With mostly water you are actually slowing combustion and evening out the pressure a little, it doesn't spike quite so bad when the mixture lights.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Water/Meth Injection

Originally posted by squirlchasr919
I'm looking to install a set of twins soon and just to keep egts in check under serious conditions, ie sled pulling or drag racing, I was considering the water or nitrous. Not so much for the power gains but, like I said to keep the egts in check.
Should not need H2O Injection to control EGT's...if you have twins, But it does help a lot.
Here is my test data...H2O only...no Meth.

"All done at 70* OAT, 650' elevation, 4% grade uphill. 60 mph to 100+mph, WOT, w/ TST PM3 on #9. (Mach 2's and EZ stacked on PM3, and a KSB-1 turbo)

WITHOUT H20 INJECTION;
-Max EGT - Pegged on gauge at 1550*
-Rate of climb to pegged EGT, from 60 mph - 6 sec.
-Boost - 50 psi
-From dead stop to pegged EGT - 8 seconds
-Holding 30 psi boost, allowing speed to increase - 1000* EGT

WITH H20 INJECTION..on at 20 psi, max at 25+/- psi; pump set to max pressure (220 psi).
-Max EGT - 1450*
-Rate of climb to max EGT, from 60 mph - 11 sec.
-Boost - 51 psi
-From dead stop to max EGT - 16 seconds
-Holding 30 psi boost, allowing speed to increase - 800* EGT"

Hope this info helps.

RJ
Old 07-05-2005, 11:24 AM

With the right turbo system you don't need, or shouldn't want water, in my opinion.

After running the Snow Performance system for 2 years, I find -20* windshield washer fluid works much better over all than just straight water, for EGT control. Straight water puts out the flame too easy.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand about having the right turbo combination would not lead to excessive egts. I, however found a great deal on an BHT3E the only problem was it has a 22cm exhaust housing! I didn't realize how small that was until after I had it.
Does anyone know where I could get a different sized housing for it?
Running straight -20 washer fluid has a certain amount of methanol already in it doesn't it? But if I do decide on the water/meth I need to stay under 30% to be safe?
Thanks for the help.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:57 AM

The -20* washer fluid is not much meth....and meth looses potency over time. Can't do any harm with it and if you want your injection to come in as early as possible...it will help. I start injecting straight H2O at 20 psi boost and have no problems with quenching....even with pump set on max - 220 psi pressure.
It takes a fair amount of trial & error to get set up just the way your truck performs best.

If you want to run WITH the meth...you can go up to 50% meth.

RJ