Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

water/meth anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water/meth anyone??

can anyone please tell me what that water/meth is it sounds interesting

thanks
Old 01-26-2006, 06:42 PM

in a nut shell. the meth provides the burst of power when avtivated by a boost rpessure switch. the mixture of water aids in the cooling of teh egt's. this is all shot into the intake via nozzels. Snow kits are popular
Old 01-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
A mixture of water and methanol is injected after the intercooler when the engine is at high boost. The water/meth mix absorbs a lot of heat while vaporizing, and the methanol is more fuel. EGT drops about 200 degrees, and you can see the HP and torque results in my signature.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:12 PM

What is the down side if any? How much hp/tq does it add?
Thanks Topper
Old 01-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Banned

downside? that extra 70 hp max can be all it takes to make your 48re say "I'm outa here"
EDIT : 47re might say the same.....
Old 01-27-2006, 05:17 PM

Is there a site sponsor that sell the Snow kit?
Topper
Old 01-27-2006, 05:52 PM

Snows website
http://www.snowperformance.net

With a 50/50 mix I gained 51HP on the dyno.
Water/Meth can be hard on headgaskets.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Topper
What is the down side if any?
Increased cylinder pressures is the reason the water/meth is hard on HG's.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:53 PM

Hey I've got a question as long as a water/meth thread is up. Is it similar to nitrous where you have to wastegate off the extra boost pressure to keep the HG happy? I assume the water will raise boost pressure, right?
Old 01-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Without a wastegate you will have a hard time keeping boost under control. I ran a 16 cm housing on my truck for a short time, boost jumped 10 psi when the water/meth hit. I went back to a wastegated housing to keep the boost under control.

I had no problems keeping boost under control with a drilled 12 cm.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Topper:

I run a water injection system on my twin turbo'ed 1996 Dodge CTD (see signature below).

You asked about the "downside" to the water/meth systems. DTR Members "Rhino" and "rockjeep73" have already given good input about the increased cylinder pressures with the water/meth mixtures, and with the increased cylinder pressures come the blown headgaskets! This condition seems to be WORSE on the 12 valve engines where the timing is mechanically set. I run high timing on my 96' (above 20 degrees) and when I tried a 15% mixture of meth WITH water, all I can tell you is the sound was NOT good! I have 14mm studs and firerings, among other things, and had no damage or problems, but all I am running now is a straight mixture of distilled water. It cools my temps around 250-300 degrees under WOT operation. IMO, the water/meth kits seem to work real well in the 3rd Gen Dodge trucks due their variable timing etc.

FWIW,.....I believe DTR Member "Jim Fulmer" was able to gain about 70 H.P. with his water/meth kit on truck that has twin turbos and alot of other "bells and whistles!" As I recall, he acheived that mark last year on the Dyno at May Madness.

--------
John_P
Old 01-27-2006, 07:58 PM

but it's not like nitrous, where you have to wastegate off the extra 10 psi. You know like say you've got 35lbs and then the water meth hits and jumps to 45, would you want to set your wastegate lower to say 25 lbs so that when the 10 psi hits you are still at 35? Or is the only reason you want to gate off the extra boost that nitrous produces because it advances the timing? I'm just worried running a 35/40 turbo with water/meth might be a little too much for the HG, even with studs...
Old 01-27-2006, 11:15 PM

I would defiantly run an O-ringed/studed head with W/M....Ive seen two of my friends destroy there head gaskets with w/m after a short period of use....but if you like liven on the ragged edge you might be able to use w/m on the stock head gasket a few times be4 destroying it
Old 01-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Banned

I dropped my timing from 19 when I started running meth to combat the cyl press problem. I too gain +/- 10 psi, but am still under the boost redline for the stock gasket. The extra 10 psi won't affect the turbo at all, but if you are running close to your boost redline, it may not hurt to back the turbo off some, depending on how often you use it. A slower turbo just means cooler charge air anyway, which displaces any loss in pressure very nicely, after all its not the pressure, but the mass that matters. With dynamic timing such as you have, I wouldn't worry about it as much as if you were in a 12 valver though. Just don't run over a 50% mixture, there have been those that have experimented with 75% with less than desirable results. And be very careful what you inject....w/s fluid that has more than 1% detergents and/or ANY glycols are bad news. Pure meth is not that expensive and worth a virgin mix if you can swing it.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:26 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

PDR sells both the basic and also the more versitile 'stage 2' water meth.
It has controllers so you can set the initial or primary jet to flow and also the secondary (full power) jet.
I have been using/tinkering with mine for a while (kinda tuff to do in winte weather/road conditions) but it is definately a good addon both for EGT reduction AND performance improvements.

bob.....edit: there is now an advanced 'stage 3 kit' as well.
Call and talk to Harry at PDR.

Quick Reply: water/meth anyone??