Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Water meth

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water meth

From my searching I realize that water/meth increases cylinder pressure. Can I just run water? Not looking for more power, just egt reduction.

Thanks,

Josh
Old 10-03-2006, 05:01 PM

you put windshild washer fluid in it to run it
Old 10-03-2006, 06:02 PM

I know but that contains a certain percentage of meth. I am wondering if I can just use water.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:21 PM

Because water is incompressable i would think running just water would still increase cyc pressure.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:24 PM

from what i understand the meth in the water helps the water burn so it's better then just water. ... maybe i dunno it's been awhile since i read all about it
Old 10-03-2006, 07:51 PM

The meth is going to start igniting far before TDC, so that's where your big spike in cylinder pressure comes from. The water is just for cooling. You bet you can run just the water. I'm sure you'll have to tune it in a bit, but it should cool things down a bit.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My experience has shown that windshield washer fluid works much better than straight water for egt reduction.

Trending Topics

Old 10-04-2006, 07:57 AM

Agree. Regular washer fluid is only 20% meth... and it's not like racing meth. It's very mild.
I have run straight water in the past. It works, but you have to hold off injecting till a higher boost level.... to avoid quenching! Should not be a problem with your twins!

With washer fluid I have no problem starting injection at 18 psi; would probably want 25 psi for water only.

RJ
Old 10-04-2006, 09:22 AM

more of a technical question

I have a stage three snow performance kit, so I have a second pyrometer just for the water meth kit, well, I got my truck detailed yesterday and I get in it this morning and I happened to notice the water meth swith was flicked to on... the egt guage for it was reading 1200 at idle or engin off with ignition on. and when I did start moving and my egts were at 700 on my other pyro the water meth guage showed 1600 or better and started injecting at 100% power.. this queched and cholked my engine.. I checked the connections for the pyro and they are good the whole way.. *** happened?? did the detailers ruin a 700$ kit? or should I install a new egt probe and see if that helps? they cleaned the truck inside and out including the engine compartment.. but the other pryo works fine.. I'm lost and ****** off..
Old 10-04-2006, 11:25 PM

hey Jambbii, don't know if you remember, but I am running straight water and it works fine. I have heard that the meth content should not exceed 50% and that is pushing it. 40% would be much better, but the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks

but to answer your question.....you can run straight water just fine.

My kit activates at 20psi, I experience no quenching or stumbling and is smooth all the way up....I could do some runs tonight with and without the water and compare the temps
Old 10-05-2006, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by n0ne
I have a stage three snow performance kit, so I have a second pyrometer just for the water meth kit, well, I got my truck detailed yesterday and I get in it this morning and I happened to notice the water meth swith was flicked to on... the egt guage for it was reading 1200 at idle or engin off with ignition on. and when I did start moving and my egts were at 700 on my other pyro the water meth guage showed 1600 or better and started injecting at 100% power.. this queched and cholked my engine.. I checked the connections for the pyro and they are good the whole way.. *** happened?? did the detailers ruin a 700$ kit? or should I install a new egt probe and see if that helps? they cleaned the truck inside and out including the engine compartment.. but the other pryo works fine.. I'm lost and ****** off..
There's not need for dual thermocouples when running the stage 3 kit. It can be wired to an exisiting thermocouple. The use of k-type thermocouple wire ensures better accuracy, as copper will throw the readings of by 100 to 200 degrees on the low side. K-type wire is difficult to find, but the adjustability of the controller can compensate if copper is used.

Try attaching the snow controller to the egt guage theromcouple to verify whether your problem is in the theromcouple or controller.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:18 AM

i don't have a Ktype egt probe for the normal pillar guages so i havent connected that egt probe to the snow controller unit.. I called snow performance and Nate is sending me a new EGT probe, should be here next week, i'll install that and if it is still reading way off like now then it has to be the controller unit.