Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Washing the Scotty II filter.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 01:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Washing the Scotty II filter.....

Ok I got caught short and had a very dirty filter, but no spray cleaner to clean it. I would like advice on what I did, did I ruin the filter? I don't think so, but...

I took a big bucket, filled it with water and a good dose of laundry soap. Soaked the filter for a few hours, sloshed it some and it came cleaner than I have been able to get it with the regular cleaner.

A smell of the spray cleaner made for the filter shows that it has ammonia in it. I would think that the laundry soap, made for fabric Would be easier on it than the spray with the ammonia in it.

The filter does not look any different than it does normally when clean. Of course it does not look new now, has many miles on it so it has a definate gray cast to it.

So what do you think, could detergent hurt the construction of it??
Old 04-12-2005, 07:56 AM

Did you follow up with a good rinsing "slosh" in clean water? I would want to get all the soap out. I'm no expert but can't see how you did any serious harm. Is this the earlier model filter or the 2 stage UNI filter?
RJ
Old 04-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't see how laundry detergent could hurt the AFE (cotton gauze) or the UNI (perforated foam) elements....I have washed K&N's and AFE's over the years with detergents and have had no ill effects on them. Some detergents have stronger degreasers than others that seem to completely remove any trace of oil - literally dries them right out.....extra oil is required sometimes and has to be applied in stages to let it thoroughly soak back in when this happens. As RJ mentioned, a very thorough rinsing of fresh water would be required to ensure all the detergent has been flushed out of the element. Other than that, I think your filter is fine the way you washed it.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:21 PM

Actually I rinsed it as AFE recommends, low pressure water from the inside. It is rinsed out well and dried good. I have plenty of oil for it, so that is not a problem. My use creates some high mileage on the filters, I have two of them, this one has over 100k on it. I check the filter at each oil change and do not try to over service them. As long as it has clean areas I leave it in. I also know that a slightly dirty filter is better at filtering than a clean one, so I am not anxious.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i use pj1 filter cleaner you can get it at most dirt bike shops . i have been using it on my uni dirt bike filters and i use it on the uni thats in my truck .