Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Wanting to tow with large single and large injectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mach 4s are as big as I'm willing to run with my sledpuller 66 while towing. I do fine with those at the altitudes we have in the Missouri Ozarks.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are a lot of opinions on this subject and that's what makes the world go round.

I remember way back when, people would never consider towing with a Mach 3injector. lol Now it seems the general consensus is that towing with 4's are OK.

There's a risk of hurting any engine towing. Heck, people have burned back pistons with stock injectors..

I think what it comes down to is you'll have to prove it to yourself and do what's comfortable for you.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mike D
There are a lot of opinions on this subject and that's what makes the world go round.

I remember way back when, people would never consider towing with a Mach 3injector. lol Now it seems the general consensus is that towing with 4's are OK.

There's a risk of hurting any engine towing. Heck, people have burned back pistons with stock injectors..

I think what it comes down to is you'll have to prove it to yourself and do what's comfortable for you.
There is always a few that can tare up a anvil with a rubber hammer. BUT what he is trying to do is like the handle on an ax. It gives more of an advantage for potential damage. (Yeah I was watching “The Ax” last night on Modern Marvels)

Turbos have come a long way over the last few years. Especially twins.....BUT he is wanting to use a large single with a HUGE stick.....Its just not smart when you are going to be towing more than 2 times a month. Im sure it will work...and it can be controlled to some point…but at what cost in the long run……mentally, physically, financially and mechanically.

Like suggested above, I would keep a set of towing injectors and then your "Fun" injectors as easy as it is to change on the ISB.....
Old 09-18-2008, 05:39 PM

I have decided against the large single. Bought a set of twins from Rip (62/14 and s400), hopefully it will work out ok with the Mach 7's. I dont want to be changine out injectors all the time but I think it will be ok and it will probably only be towed about 4 times a month. We will see.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Good luck. I personally wouldn't consider the M7s towable with ANY turbo setup, but you might actually make it work.

Please report back to share our results.

jh
Old 09-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A guy from my area (Metalman) towed my truck from VA Beach to W/S NC. He has Mach 7's and a 62/14 over a S400.

I towed his truck down to VAB from NC with my truck, single charger and Mach 6's.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 PM
The Guru

You could try to run the smarty on a reduced fuel setting. It could work, but you wouldn't like as much as a smaller set of sticks. It gets old staring at the pyro and worring if the motor will take it. Been there, done it. Tons of power, but tons of heat. Watch the hills. If your at sea level you'll have more air than me. What did Rip think? A few guys said that mach 6's are towable, but not me. Good luck, my sticks are old and tips could be sloppy/worn with the mileage. They just make tons of power. DDP 250 sticks are good too and work well. Might even make more than the mach sticks for us VP boys.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by 5.0 Mustang Man
I have decided against the large single. Bought a set of twins from Rip (62/14 and s400), hopefully it will work out ok with the Mach 7's. I dont want to be changine out injectors all the time but I think it will be ok and it will probably only be towed about 4 times a month. We will see.
If you have to change them out it ain't that bad, a few years ago every weekend from the time pulling season started till it ended I would change injectors, turbo and injector lines. I would tow a couple time during the week change to the big stuff go pulling on the weekend change back and go to work on monday. It got to where I could do all that in a little under 2 hours, injectors alone only took 30 min.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:01 AM

30 minutes? Wow that it fast. I have only pulled them out this one time for my rebuild and that back one is a ***** to get to. Any tricks for doing this faster?