Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Wanting to tow with large single and large injectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me an my buddies all drive 12 valves and tow with silver 66's and a 2.8 hx50. There is so much crap about what cant be done. If you are in the mountains, yeah these guys are probably right. I had twins hybrid35/40 over 3.0hx60. and my temps were just as hot with them as with the custom built hx50. I have towed combines, tractors and trucks with my dually in my sig, but i am in Illinois. You dont need twins if you drive it right. None of us have twins and we take turns hauling each others trucks to the pulls. Tim
Old 09-09-2008, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I won't disagree with you because you have a 12 valve.
The VP motors are different. Most likely the cam.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:36 PM

Stick verse Auto also would matter...
Old 09-09-2008, 10:17 PM

I admit that i know jack s#$t about auto's. I have swapped them out but never even owned one. I just know that with my truck, I hauled 20,000lbs out of southern IN back to Bloomington Il. The only time i had to really watch my temps was coming up rt 41 through Terre Haute IN. It was hard to maintain 65 mph. Once i got back on the interstate, set cruise at 65 and away we went. I guess the main thing is if I had to rely on my truck to earn a living, then probably not a good setup. Other than that, tow away.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:35 PM

I can paly with the settings on the smarty and make drastic differences on temps towing. I think with the range of timing and duration adjustments available on the vp44 you can make alot of difference on temps that a 12 valve didn't have to deal with.
Illinoisram it may be an injector issue also. If you are running 300 total hp injectors that isn't that large compared to what is available for the 24valve and cr engines.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've towed with Mach 4.5's and Mach 6+'s using a large single. The only time it got "hot" was getting up to cruising speed in a hurry. Long grades I would kick it out of OD and turn 2700 rpms up the hills.

Obviously if you firewall the coal pedal it will get hot, if you drive the truck like you have some sense it can be done.

I didn't catch what part of the country you're from so that will make a difference. If you're towing over some serious passes out west I can't give you any practical advice as I haven't done it.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:57 AM

Above 4000' it isn't much fun with a single and big sticks towing anything unless you like to wind it up all the time.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:20 PM

Illinoisram it may be an injector issue also. If you are running 300 total hp injectors that isn't that large compared to what is available for the 24valve and cr engines.

True they are not that large compared to 24v inj, but injectors are just pop off valves. My pump is putting out twice what a vp does. With the vp you run big injectors to make sure it can put all the fuel in at the right time. Even though my injectors are smaller, my pump will push the fuel through them. It is a good idea to match the pop off valves to the amount of fuel you need. I also have a buddy with a 02, hrvp, ddp250's, smarty, redline, 66mm hx50 and he would tow with it until this weekend when the ppump conversion should be finished.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:31 PM

Im still up in the air since the twin kit I was going to buy is not in production anymore. Been looking at others but I still like single turbos. Im in the midwest(st. Louis) and most of the ares I tow are relatively flat. The most I really tow is from my house to the race track and that is about 30 miles each way and flat. I have a lot of people saying no way and then some people with good experience. I mean I can drive conservatively when towing and have methanol???????????????????????????????????????
Old 09-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Chapter President

Dont tow with meth, use straight water with a pump lube. Just keep the rpms up is the only way to do it if you hit any sort of hill.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:08 PM

Is an HX40-16 a large single to you? Maybe someone in the know can chime in with the specs of a newer style turbo with the same lag.

I tow 7000 lbs all the time at elevation over 5000', up to 7500'. All kinds of roads from flat to very steep loooong grades or hairpin turns with big elevation change. My injectors started life as 370's, then DonM got ahold of them & hogged out the holes. I don't know how big they are, but showerhead is probably pretty close. If I remember right, I think the holes are 20% larger.

I have no complaints. Rt foot regulation is all that is needed. There is a sweet spot where EGT flattens out @ 1250 or so with plenty of power & low smoke. I'm not in the throttle @ that level, but we're moving very well. Of course, a set of twins with a newer hybrid, 62/12'ish on top would be far superior.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by 5.0 Mustang Man
Im still up in the air since the twin kit I was going to buy is not in production anymore. Been looking at others but I still like single turbos. Im in the midwest(st. Louis) and most of the ares I tow are relatively flat. The most I really tow is from my house to the race track and that is about 30 miles each way and flat. I have a lot of people saying no way and then some people with good experience. I mean I can drive conservatively when towing and have methanol???????????????????????????????????????

I think would be fine if you drove conservatively. I towed Illinoisrams bros truck down to greenville il with 5.014 injs, 525cc pump, SB66 with no egt issues what ever 1100 degrees is as hot as it got.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:13 PM

Flatbed, if we go to Danville In this weekend, who is towing who?
Old 09-15-2008, 08:26 AM
The Guru

That to big injectors to tow with unless you want to burnout your valves and put cracks your head. With my twins, I still wouldn't tow a trailer with my large injector. Empty, yes it works well, as the egt's are high just when my foots on hard on the throttle. Once loaded, the egt's would be high, very high. Second these injectors would dump tons of soot all over the trailer and cloud out everyone, run a big single, thats nasty. I've towed 12k trailer on flat ground, and 220hp+ sized sticks. It wasn't fun. Anything bigger than a bump on the road, the egt's would sky rocket. A big single, man you would have the motor rev hi, run it a gear lower than you would if you ran a smaller stick. I just put in a 100rwhp and forget about watching the pyro. Its only 2hrs to change sticks. The next problem is the coolant jacket temp as you're working the motor harder.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by 5.0 Mustang Man
How about twins and mach 7's? Is that still too much fuel? Here is the setup Im looking to do. Stock bottom end, fresh head with o rings, ARP studs, new so VP44, FASS 150 series, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, 4" exhaust, Mach 7 injectors(240 hp), and the BD Super B twin setup. Also have a cooling mist dual nozzel methanol setup with 6 gallon reservoir. Would this setup be safe to tow with or is it too much fuel? Keep in mind I want this thing to be able to smoke well when just playing around with it. Thanks
Talk to RowJ....he pretty much has this setup give or take...

My Mach 2's are great with a stock turbo. BUT man...Mach 7's are pretty much a "Street and Strip" only injector. You prob could do it...but you would be cleaning soot off your trailer all the time......that is not a fun job unless you dont care about that stuff....

I would not go over Mach 4's if you plan on "using" your truck the way it was intended to be used by Dodge.......

I have a lot of people saying no way and then some people with good experience. I mean I can drive conservatively when towing and have methanol???????????????????????????????????????
Sounds good in theory...BUT it will ware you out having to constantly watch everything all the time. Driving will become a chore at that point....the few hills SW of STL on 44 would make for a fun time...aint no CO...but for the setup you are wanting to run.....it would get hot....

Quick Reply: Wanting to tow with large single and large injectors