Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Wanting to tow with large single and large injectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanting to tow with large single and large injectors

Im getting ready to start my Cummins build and have some q's. I will be pulling a enclosed car trailer that will weigh about 7000 lbs regularly. I play with the truck a lot to though and want to make big power. I want to get a large single turbo and large injectors like Mach 6 or 7's. The truck has an edge juice with attitude and I will stack a Smarty with it. Is this a recipe for disaster or can I control the egts with methanol and turn the programmers down when towing? If it is just not going to be possible let me know. I know twins are more what I need but I really cant afford them. Let me know if this setup will work or not. Thanks. Also the motor will have head studs and o rings. What head gasket do you all reccomend? Also is it worth it to have any porting or anything else done to head?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:42 AM

In order to have a single large enuff to cool mach 6's the lag would be horrible trying to tow anything. I ran my 6's with a large single for about a week and hated it. With injectors as large as 6's you hardly even need the programmers I mostly use the smarty only and leave my tst on #0 the injectors fuel way more than you need by themselves for everyday work. I wouldn't want to drive on the street or tow without the twins with my current setup.

I think the cummins marine gasket is the same as the standard cummins gasket now but I'm not 100% but the marine gasket was what everyone was using
Old 09-05-2008, 03:40 AM

IMO, all you need is studs and o-rings and you'll be fine. I have a buddy pushing 70+lbs of boost with just studs and o-rings. Just get some smaller sticks until you can do twins. I ran some 250hp sticks with a 64/14(gets real hot! Not reccomended) but I did not tow.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 5.0 Mustang Man
Im getting ready to start my Cummins build and have some q's. I will be pulling a enclosed car trailer that will weigh about 7000 lbs regularly. I play with the truck a lot to though and want to make big power. I want to get a large single turbo and large injectors like Mach 6 or 7's. The truck has an edge juice with attitude and I will stack a Smarty with it. Is this a recipe for disaster or can I control the egts with methanol and turn the programmers down when towing? If it is just not going to be possible let me know. I know twins are more what I need but I really cant afford them. Let me know if this setup will work or not. Thanks. Also the motor will have head studs and o rings. What head gasket do you all reccomend? Also is it worth it to have any porting or anything else done to head?
You will be able to control EGT's!!!
They will quickly rise to 1500 and then go to the moon!!!
Or just limit towing to a moped.
I've tried what you are looking for.
If you can't spool the turbo quickly it will get hot.
See my sig. I just towed a friend home, his truck and trailer. Total weight hooked to my truck was 15,700.
Box turned OFF it would still get to 1400. However, it would cool ok, if we kept the rpm high around 55-60mph. That is a killer spot.
Actually what you are asking is,
"Can I tow with max fuel and minimum air"??????!!!!!!!!!!
Big no, you will damage something trying. Don't believe ANYONE who say different.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:28 PM

it will never happen, too much fuel. How big of a turbo are you thinking of anyway, when I hear large single I think s-400, ht3b, ht60 size turbos, they would burn the fuel you would have but you could never tow with them
Old 09-05-2008, 05:41 PM
JIT

You could do it with Twins and Mach 4's...
Old 09-05-2008, 07:04 PM

How about twins and mach 7's? Is that still too much fuel? Here is the setup Im looking to do. Stock bottom end, fresh head with o rings, ARP studs, new so VP44, FASS 150 series, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, 4" exhaust, Mach 7 injectors(240 hp), and the BD Super B twin setup. Also have a cooling mist dual nozzel methanol setup with 6 gallon reservoir. Would this setup be safe to tow with or is it too much fuel? Keep in mind I want this thing to be able to smoke well when just playing around with it. Thanks

Trending Topics

Old 09-06-2008, 12:06 AM

I can blackout a freeway with 6's and the tst off with the tst on the smoke doesn't stop as long as you are on the fuel. I have been told the 7's are a bit much for street use that is why I do not have them. Don's injectors are rated conservativly anyway on the hp#.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:19 AM

Doc- Have you towed with that setup at all?
Old 09-06-2008, 12:22 AM

yup I just have to be nice to it. I tow a 4 horse trailer and a gooseneck flatbed on a regular basis. In cali my altitude is 4000+ usually towing in NC I am as close to sea level as you can get without waders.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:58 AM
DRD

Even with my mild set up towing heavy can lead to other problems such as engine coolant temp. Blasting down an expressway versus dragging a trailer through the mountains are very different scenarios. It comes down to what you tow and where.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Chapter President

Get a programable water injection setup and a large water tank.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd go smaller with injectors and turbo and use nitrous to offset the difference. This is a much more versatile setup. Do you really need to sustain 600hp? No-- you need to be able to sustain useable power. Thus, go smaller to get your sustainability back, then add nitrous to get the big power you don't need to sustain.

jmo
Old 09-07-2008, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look at my profile.
I just towed a trailer/truck combo that weighed 15,700 pounds. ran great, box was turned off. I turn it on when needed, but that isn't very often. I have great power without it.
The twins made all the difference. When I was trying to do it with a big single I had to drive by the pyro, no fun.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:42 AM

I think Mach 6+'s are fairly streetable and with the right twins are able to tow medium to light. A Formula One dealer could help you out the best.

I would definately go with twins. At least two trucks I know about are running them. Both make 600-650 Hp, I believe, using an Edge Comp.

A s300 with a double ported wastegate over an s400 is relatively economical. I would give PaulB a PM, that is what he runs. And I believe he tows his 05 or his travel trailer to the track with it.

The other truck, was last I read running a custom ported wastegate Dodgezilla (like mine) over an s400. Try giving Fishing2Deep4You / FishingGuide a PM. He, at least, tows something useful to fish out of.

Jim

Quick Reply: Wanting to tow with large single and large injectors