Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Walbro vs fass

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a great thread, I hope it continues. I like hearing reviews of people that have used these setups. I am in the same boat, I have replaced my carter 3 times! And I have the vulcan kit with the pump on the framerail. The pump provides great pressure, I just wish it would last longer than 10,000 miles!! From my research I think im going to go with a FASS HPFP when this next carter takes a dirt nap, Ive got about 8500 miles to go!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Presently, my only real remaining beef with the FASS setup is pressure regulation. I think this is more due to my ignorance-- I just don't know how or if the FASS regulates pressure.

I *insist* that a retrofit fuel system has a bypass fuel pressure regulator. As such, I may have to build my own.

The FASS has a bypass style regulator with a pop-off ball and spring. Pressure can be changed via a spring that is under the return line fitting in the FASS base. 2 mins and your done.

The HPFP is internally by-passed. So it acts more like the stock pump in that respect. Static if you will. This pressure is preset by us for the application.

I cant say a whole lot at the moment...but we are looking at some options to give external pressure adjustments to the HFPF and FASS. Nothing set in stone yet....but its on our mind. Reverse compatibility is high on the list if it can be done as well.....
Old 09-26-2007, 10:26 AM

This is the kit that I am looking at! It comes with the Draw Straw and a big line kit and is not that much more than the other kits. I am thinking this thing should be able to fuel a rocket!
Old 09-26-2007, 11:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
$160 for a regulator
$140 for a Walbro
$220 for a Glacier remote filtration setup.
I am sorry, I am so cheap.

$35 for the regulator
$100 for the Walbro
$40 for all related plumbing and gauges
($50 for the remote filter head from a dealer, plus cartridges, optional)
----
$175 (or $225)

It can be done. Of course, one wants some odds and ends that all of us have, like fasteners, clamps etc., and needs to spend some time. I spent a little over $200 on mine, but I bought things I ended up not using since I didn't have a perfect plan at the time.
Air removal can't possibly be patented as process. I found a diesel filter with built in air removal valve, manufactured in 1970. I ended up not using it because all seals were rock hard and I could not find seals or cartridges for it, or I would have a one piece... uh... I can't abbreviate it, or the admins will kill my post... Air Separation System.
Warranty? I would have to call myself with the warranty issues, so I guess the warranty is Lifetime.
-P
Old 09-26-2007, 02:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It's no secret that I've expressed my reservations about the FASS and its price tag.

But I think I might be changing my mind about the FASS. The price *is* high, but when I build my own system on paper, I end up spending only $100 less, sometimes even more-- depending on the exact build up.

While the FASS pump isn't perfectly reliable, it IS pretty reliable overall. I like the filtration of the FASS, and the entrained air removal is something no homebrew setup will do-- at least not without patent infringement

Presently, my only real remaining beef with the FASS setup is pressure regulation. I think this is more due to my ignorance-- I just don't know how or if the FASS regulates pressure.

I *insist* that a retrofit fuel system has a bypass fuel pressure regulator. As such, I may have to build my own.

$160 for a regulator
$140 for a Walbro
$220 for a Glacier remote filtration setup.

Gee, I'm at $520 already and haven't even plumbed it.

Maybe that FASS isn't so overpriced after all?
Don't forget the value of having a 400K mile warranty.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dan
The FASS has a bypass style regulator with a pop-off ball and spring. Pressure can be changed via a spring that is under the return line fitting in the FASS base. 2 mins and your done.
Very similar to the Walbro regulator...I've had mine on now for about 2 years with absolutely no issues, all the fittings and fuel line cost about $150, the return line/filler tube and regulator cost about $60 and the pump was $125 I bought and installed a big prefilter/water separator for about $40 (cost of parts) that is 4 micron and and flows 95GPH and is supposed to last over 20k. No matter how hard I run it I've never pulled the pressure down more than 2 lbs...
Old 09-27-2007, 10:27 AM

My vote is for the walbro set up. I built my own system for around 260.00. It's quiet, and fully adjustable. Any way that you go will be a good set up. I just didn't want the expense of the fass. I like the set up. I just wanted the satisfaction of building my own set up.