Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Walbro vs fass

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walbro vs fass

Alright so what everyones opinion im pretty sure im gonna be re working my fuel system whats everyones opion on these two or any that i am missing.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:53 AM

my vote is for walbro 392
Old 09-24-2007, 12:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want to save money, are willing to turn wrenches and like to be responsible for the results of your work, choose Walbro. If you prefer a turnkey system and hand holding support, which naturally will cost more, choose FASS. Both will be adequate if properly installed.
-P
Old 09-24-2007, 01:53 PM

Well that was a easy way to lay it out. What are the differences in the systems?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:48 PM

FASS is a ground up complete system with filters that is backed up with a 6 year warranty.

I would buy another FASS in a heart beat.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like pouringdiesel said, FASS contains a filtration system and high performance pump, all in a single unit. You can find descriptions of FASSes on the web, and there is FASS master frequenting this forum. They make FASS in several incarnations - different pump capacity, with or without filters, etc.
A Walbro system can be bought as a kit, having fuel lines, pump, pressure regulator and fittings, all ready to put on the truck. One can also buy the Walbro pump (or another high performance gerotor pump) and then the necessary components separately, and build their own fuel system just like a kid builds a lego starship. Of course, you have control of what you are replacing, and what parts go into it, and you are your own quality control person. If it fails, you don't have a toll free number to call and complain to.
As far as fuel delivery, they are both adequate, available in capacities far exceeding any kind of realistic consumption rate.
-P
Old 09-24-2007, 06:09 PM

The Walbro is a wisper quiet pump and does the job very well, why replace the filter when the stock one is plenty adequate-just more work. With the walbro you install the big line kit to the stock filter wire it up mount the pump and your ready to mash the pedal with a solid 15-16 psi. The set up is foul proof and glacier diesel power is a great company to work with. Walbro- The new up and coming fuel pump- by the way theres a company on ebay who has the entire kit shipped for under 400 and the just have GDP drop ship it from there main office

Trending Topics

Old 09-24-2007, 06:17 PM

The FASS is an over engineered piece of functional art. Nice aluminum braketry and over sized pump. If I ever upgrade lift pumps it will be with FASS hands down, no questions...
Old 09-24-2007, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
If you want to save money, are willing to turn wrenches and like to be responsible for the results of your work, choose Walbro. If you prefer a turnkey system and hand holding support, which naturally will cost more, choose FASS. Both will be adequate if properly installed.
-P
Well said...I opted for FASS because of what he said plus it's warrenty and one place to point at is something doesn't work right...less hassle
Old 09-24-2007, 07:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's no secret that I've expressed my reservations about the FASS and its price tag.

But I think I might be changing my mind about the FASS. The price *is* high, but when I build my own system on paper, I end up spending only $100 less, sometimes even more-- depending on the exact build up.

While the FASS pump isn't perfectly reliable, it IS pretty reliable overall. I like the filtration of the FASS, and the entrained air removal is something no homebrew setup will do-- at least not without patent infringement

Presently, my only real remaining beef with the FASS setup is pressure regulation. I think this is more due to my ignorance-- I just don't know how or if the FASS regulates pressure.

I *insist* that a retrofit fuel system has a bypass fuel pressure regulator. As such, I may have to build my own.

$160 for a regulator
$140 for a Walbro
$220 for a Glacier remote filtration setup.

Gee, I'm at $520 already and haven't even plumbed it.

Maybe that FASS isn't so overpriced after all?
Old 09-24-2007, 07:35 PM

True thats if you build your own walbro kit, however the one that arrives to your door as a kit includes 3/8 big line kit, a 15 psi blow by regulator that returns fuel back to the tank on its own return line, and all fittings required. The only extra item i bought was a 24 micron inline filter/strainer to keep my 1 year warranty in good standing. By the way how many year warranty do you get on a vp44?? for $400 to your door, that is something fass cant touch.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FASS gets my vote. Unless you're going high HP or just don't want to use the factory filter, go with the FASS HPFP. Mine has been on for over two years and hasn't burped yet.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HOHN
It's no secret that I've expressed my reservations about the FASS and its price tag.

But I think I might be changing my mind about the FASS. The price *is* high, but when I build my own system on paper, I end up spending only $100 less, sometimes even more-- depending on the exact build up.

While the FASS pump isn't perfectly reliable, it IS pretty reliable overall. I like the filtration of the FASS, and the entrained air removal is something no homebrew setup will do-- at least not without patent infringement

Presently, my only real remaining beef with the FASS setup is pressure regulation. I think this is more due to my ignorance-- I just don't know how or if the FASS regulates pressure.

I *insist* that a retrofit fuel system has a bypass fuel pressure regulator. As such, I may have to build my own.

$160 for a regulator
$140 for a Walbro
$220 for a Glacier remote filtration setup.

Gee, I'm at $520 already and haven't even plumbed it.

Maybe that FASS isn't so overpriced after all?
I am finding the same problem when I put it on paper too....I fabbed my own fuel system on my 01 and it was more then if I bought a aftermarket system and it was not as Clean as I would have liked. I like that you can Hide the FASS AND filters in the rear fender and if you have wheel liners it is really protected from the elements and it's not stuffed in the engine compartment soaking up heat
one thing I don't like about the homebrew walbro kits are all the extra connections and fittings it takes to add the water separator and 2micron filter...it makes for a lot of extra connections that could leak....
I am not bashing any of the systems just voicing MY concerns with them and the questions I have my self
Old 09-24-2007, 10:29 PM

and build their own fuel system just like a kid builds a lego starship

Made my night.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:03 AM

Thanks very helpfull and the lego part was pretty funny.

Quick Reply: Walbro vs fass